How do you feel about a mulligan/throw away year?

preacherwebb

KJV1611
This is not a throw away year, nor a mulligan year. They are counting wins and losses just like every year. There is plans to crown an SEC Champion and National Champion just like every year. Bowl games are being planned, assuming there will be enough teams to fill the slots. The players are on the field playing. The coaches are getting paid just like every year.

There is nothing about this year that is throw away, except no one loses a year of eligibility.

Case in point ... if we lose the rest of the games this year, and finish 2-8 ... will that not influence the fan base? Will we not doubt that Pruitt is the guy moving forward? Will we just chalk it up to C19, and say it's all good? If we win out, including a win over Bama and UF, and finish 9-1, and possibly play for the SEC Title, will we not be super stoked going into next season? Will we the fans, and the media, not praise what CJP has done at UT, especially as evidenced by such success in an all SEC conference schedule?

If this year doesn't matter, why were so many fans so angry and upset at what happened vs UGA?

Look, I'm not calling anybody out, for I've saw this mulligan/throw away thing posted way too many times on this board the past couple of weeks to be able to single anyone out. I'm just wondering if anyone else sees it the way I do.

That is all.
Not looking to argue or pick fights or get flamed.
I really do love this board, and I thoroughly enjoy being a part of it.
And more importantly, I love the Vols!

We have games being cancelled and schedules around the NCAA are so off even the national championship from this year will be forever seen as diminished. It's a throw away year in that regard. You want to win if playing but if we finish 2-8 it won't hurt Pruitt's job security with the administration at all.

This is not a throw away year, nor a mulligan year. They are counting wins and losses just like every year. There is plans to crown an SEC Champion and National Champion just like every year. Bowl games are being planned, assuming there will be enough teams to fill the slots. The players are on the field playing. The coaches are getting paid just like every year.

There is nothing about this year that is throw away, except no one loses a year of eligibility.

Case in point ... if we lose the rest of the games this year, and finish 2-8 ... will that not influence the fan base? Will we not doubt that Pruitt is the guy moving forward? Will we just chalk it up to C19, and say it's all good? If we win out, including a win over Bama and UF, and finish 9-1, and possibly play for the SEC Title, will we not be super stoked going into next season? Will we the fans, and the media, not praise what CJP has done at UT, especially as evidenced by such success in an all SEC conference schedule?

If this year doesn't matter, why were so many fans so angry and upset at what happened vs UGA?

Look, I'm not calling anybody out, for I've saw this mulligan/throw away thing posted way too many times on this board the past couple of weeks to be able to single anyone out. I'm just wondering if anyone else sees it the way I do.

That is all.
One of the worst mistakes the NCAA made was granting everyone an extra year of eligibility. It makes people think that this season is a throw away and it is going cause some untended consequences. They should have done this only for players that missed significant time due to the virus.

We have games being cancelled and schedules around the NCAA are so off even the national championship from this year will be forever seen as diminished. It's a throw away year in that regard. You want to win if playing but if we finish 2-8 it won't hurt Pruitt's job security with the administration at all.

But, would it matter to you? (2-8)
Not arguing, just asking.

What if we won the National Title this year ... would it matter to any one of us that others saw it as diminished? Would we not tout that all SEC schedule to make it even more meaningful?

I'm being honest when I say, if we beat UF, and Mullen's wife had to coach the team and they lost "x" amount of players due to China virus quarantine protocol, I'd celebrate as if we beat them any and every other season.

I'm just saying I don't understand the mulligan/throw away mentality.

Reactions: Raebo
Players can and are opting out because of Covid. As they should. Despite what you've cited as 'normal', this is not a normal year. Any games that are played are icing on the cake. Any championships, bowl wins, etc. will have a mental asterisk beside them like the WWII years.

I'm happy we're playing. Who cares if the kids get an extra year? No skin off my nose.

That is all.
I think anything better then a 6-4 season will be impactful...anything below 5-5. We need to start questioning the coach.....
Now if a major chnage was made....new QB. Then i believe most fans (except those that compare JRs to FR) would allow a mulligan season...Fulmer has already with CJP extension

Last edited:
I think this makes the season and the Championship more significant not less and least for the SEC. Challenges aside, the schedules are brutal. I think it ups the ante for the playoffs too, no throw away games against PAC-12 or Big12.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Players can and are opting out because of Covid. As they should. Despite what you've cited as 'normal', this is not a normal year. Any games that are played are icing on the cake. Any championships, bowl wins, etc. will have a mental asterisk beside them like the WWII years.

I'm happy we're playing. Who cares if the kids get an extra year? No skin off my nose.
What about next year? Are teams going carry 120 players on scholarship? Are they going to not sign recuits? What is going to happen with all these extra players? Hopefully most will not opt for an extra season.

Reactions: Raebo and Alto1

That is all.

Aight

this season is a mulligan for MOST coaches anyway...going to be hard to fire a coach this year for bad performance
every week a coach does not know who or how many players will be able to play..
I believe that is why we are seeing what we are seeing every week with teams getting beat or upset....
I want to win every week...
this year is hard on the coaches and players with all the protocols that are in place....

What about next year? Are teams going carry 120 players on scholarship? Are they going to not sign recuits? What is going to happen with all these extra players? Hopefully most will not opt for an extra season.
Returning seniors will not count toward the 85 so there will still be the opportunity for a normal sized recruiting class.

It was announced this week that for winter sports the 2020-2021 season will not count toward eligibility.

Can you still use the term "mulligan"?

Isn't that cultural appropriation?

Taskmaster_Willie.png

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
Returning seniors will not count toward the 85 so there will still be the opportunity for a normal sized recruiting class.

It was announced this week that for winter sports the 2020-2021 season will not count toward eligibility.
So are the schools going to have to pay all those extra scholarships? That could be a real issue for lower revenue schools. I think whole covid thing is going do real damage to Non P5 and FCS schools. I think it does real damage to the NCAA as an organization as well, conferences are running their own shows now.

If we finish 2-8, I promise you it will affect attendance next year, and that my friend will affect how the administration looks at Pruitt. Money makes the world go around, and college football is no different.

Reactions: preacherwebb
One of the worst mistakes the NCAA made was granting everyone an extra year of eligibility. It makes people think that this season is a throw away and it is going cause some untended consequences. They should have done this only for players that missed significant time due to the virus.

Granting the extra year of eligibility was almost a given. The NCAA has to reach out with a message that if these kids dont feel safe playing this year then it's their prerogative to sit out and not lose a year. This isnt their fault nor should they be penalized.

The eligibility has to be extended to all players and not just those who are sick. Lets say you're playing on a team and on any given week you are missing key players for each game. You lose a lot of games, well tough tittie you dont get to keep your eligibility while the guy that was sick does. That wouldn't fly for an organization that is trying to prove that they arent using players as forced labor to make money. They have an image problem. They HAD to do this.

Reactions: ksgovols
So many ways to answer this question, and almost all of them agree with you, Preacher. No such thing as a mulligan in college football, this year or any other. In most ways, at least.
  • Record books: it all counts. Every W, every L, every streak, every record broken. No such thing as a mulligan here.
  • Championships (division, conference, national): they'll count. No mulligans.
  • Recruiting: the season will affect recruits. No mulligans.
  • NFL scouting: it counts. No mulligans.
  • Eligibility: nope, doesn't count. Free year for everyone. Here it is, the only place the "mulligan" crowd are actually 100% correct.
  • Coaching hires and fires: maybe a bit of a mulligan, in some places for some reasons. But far form uniform. There WILL be coaches fired this year. Maybe just not quite as many as would otherwise happen, particularly at schools where games got postponed/cancelled/lost because of isolating and quarantining.
So there we go. I'm sure there are another half dozen ways to look at the season, as well, and most of those will be "no mulligans" too.

So, generally speaking, Preacher, you're dead-on right.

Go Vols! Let's make it count!

VN Store

Back