How Do You Explain Such Improvement in Just Two Years?

We were 3-7 before Heupel was hired and we lost 25 or so players to transfers, some of them starters. I don't remember how Heupel's first recruiting classes were ranked but don't remember them being real high. We did get a great QB transfer in Hooker plus some others.

So is this success due to getting Hooker plus a few talented receivers plus a coach with a system/scheme that fit perfectly?

And, what will we look like with Hooker gone next year? If we are good next year then more credit to the coaching staff.

- end of 2019- 1st games 2020 was an 8 game TN win-streak. People have forgotten that. We led UGA at half of 3rd game and Jarrett Gaurantano began to crap the bed.
My point: TN was a talented team that with good QB could compete with anybody. They stopped getting even average QB from that point on.

- 2021 still started off with the wrong QB. But then Hendon Hooker got his chance.
Wandering WR Payton became a deep threat. Velus Jones was constantly put in position for his skillset. Cedric Tillman the same. 7-6. Jeremy Banks became a defensive leader as well 128 tackles.

2022- Add Bru McCoy. Defense got older and deeper. Jalin Hyatt worked his tail off in the offseason to give him that edge he hadn't possessed before. Wright and Small get older stronger and have stayed in better health. Defense sees Beasley settle into the LB spot along with Banks and Mitchell is finally healthy. Meanwhile all through 2019- now...the pieces were there on OL and DL to compete. Now being older and stronger they impose their will. 9-1

So much is the happenstance of chemistry and the right mix of talent, all at the same time. Look at UF winning back to back NCAA championships.... nothing remarkable before or after, really. But the right talent at the right spots working together ...

That's what you have now, enjoy it because it's very tough to recreate.

1. Roster talent was better than we thought; it was disguised behind some god-awful coaching in previous years.
2. The Portal. Reflect on who we got from the portal the past two off-seasons. A lot of the names we shout on Saturdays, those are portal arrivals.
3. Heupel & Crew are no-joke next level genius at patterning the Xs and Os to make the absolute most of what the lads can do.
4. They are also incredibly talented leaders, who can mold extremely cohesive teams.

Think it's as simple as that.

All of this, and I would add that possibly the most important factor is that teams that are successful tend to be those teams where the entire program, administration, coaches, staff, and players, are all aligned and rowing in the same direction.

Too often in our past it was clear that our administration was not interested in winning. Our coaches were looking out for themselves. Our players were not fully committed.

It’s hard to win like that.

A lot of credit should go to AD White and the university admin.

Having an actual football coach helps. A lot.

Yep. I know we have asi it in the past but Heupel is the only coach the really changed the culture of the program. He has instilled a winning culture into the program. He and his staff, minus a few, know how to actually coach but more importantly DEVELOP talent. And Ike others have said these players are fully bought into Heupel and his system. It seems like the players actually want to play for him. They seem to be having fun.

Let’s not forget Danny White as well. His contributions cannot be overlooked.

Reactions: stewart6600
1. Roster talent was better than we thought; it was disguised behind some god-awful coaching in previous years.
2. The Portal. Reflect on who we got from the portal the past two off-seasons. A lot of the names we shout on Saturdays, those are portal arrivals.
3. Heupel & Crew are no-joke next level genius at patterning the Xs and Os to make the absolute most of what the lads can do.
4. They are also incredibly talented leaders, who can mold extremely cohesive teams.

Except for the secondary right? I mean our talent is much better than expected EXCEPT in the defensive backfield. Where many in here have said we just don’t have the talent of teams like Middle TN state, Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State.

Portal Starters: Hooker, McCoy, Mincey, Turnage, Mitchell, Young. All are very important to our success and Hooker is critical. But, I think your other three reasons, are more important, especially (4).

Players drifted along under the previous regime but bought in, worked hard, and believed in their ability to succeed under this staff. Improvement in the OL, DL, and receiver position groups is really impressive.

We were 3-7 before Heupel was hired and we lost 25 or so players to transfers, some of them starters. I don't remember how Heupel's first recruiting classes were ranked but don't remember them being real high. We did get a great QB transfer in Hooker plus some others.

So is this success due to getting Hooker plus a few talented receivers plus a coach with a system/scheme that fit perfectly?

And, what will we look like with Hooker gone next year? If we are good next year then more credit to the coaching staff.

Great leadership from the top down… great athletic director, great coach… Heupel has them acting like a family rather than a gathering of individuals. They care about each other & doing their best to help each other out. Playing for more than just themselves.

Everyone has bought in. The Administration, the Athletic Director, the Head Coach, the Assistant Coaches, the Players, and finally the Fans.

At this level out working your opponent can make up a difference in talent.

This team is a hard working bunch. Including the HC and his staff.

The outcome of the games is still greatly determined by The Maxims.

How Do You Explain Such Improvement in Just Two Years?

CJH told the current roster they were "his guys" and he wasn't waiting until he got three classes of "his recruits" in to start winning football games.
also being an offensive mad scientist, but yes, he won the team doing it right and not griping about getting "his guys" in here in the next couple of years.

Auburn went from worst to first not so long ago. If you've ever played or coached at a championship level looking back on it can seem like magic, all the pieces just seem to come together. You have to have talent but the chemistry also has to gel to make the product special.

Saban keeps trying to sell the idea it's a "process" and if you execute the process correctly what happens on the field takes care of itself. He's finding out this season that was BS. He used to have the most talent and they bulled their way through the season and often had great leadership that forced the chemistry to work.

I think Heupel may be on to something and have things figured out. Time will tell if he can keep his teams playing at these levels we've seen them do this year. BUT do not discount what having Hendon Hooker at QB has done for this team and means to this team. The same Hendon Hooker who Pruitt recruited and brought to Tennessee and stayed when Heupel was brought in and benched him for Milton. Hooker persevered and succeeded in spite of it.

For the past 12 years I’ve said somewhere along the way we just have to catch lightning in a bottle. Well, we sure as heck did and Heupel, this staff and these players that bought in and committed to this process are the lightning, because they’ve been electric! Things just fell right for the VOLS and the football gods have smiled upon us. Pay the man his money and let’s keep this thing rolling! GBO! 🍊

Reactions: norrislakevol
I think Hype has done an outstanding job. I am somewhat concerned about the players he has recruited play out. Most of our offense is Pruitts recruits or transfers. lf Hype can recruit quality players we are in great shape. Hype has developed the players on the roster tremoundsly. I think if Pruitt was coaching we may be 6-4 on the year, we would have been beat by, Fla, Lsu, Bama,
I think Tennessee would be 5-5 at best if Beldar were coaching. Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Pittsburgh would be losses.

iu

Reactions: OrangeTsar
A great coaching staff that players believe in. Influx of talent on the offensive side of the ball. A genius-level offensive mind that tailors his offense to the strengths of his personnel and takes advantage of opposing defensive coaches.
And the progress/improvement in the defense; much better than I thought could happen this year.

MiramarVol is absolutely right. BUY IN!!! Big time. Plus the staff is excellent at teaching. Each and every player has improved in strength, fundamentals, and tactical awareness. The staff has also installed schemes that fit the players on the roster, ie putting players in positions to succeed.

Also notice that CJH and the staff don't ever criticize the players. The message is always "there are things we need to improve on and we're working to get better". I'm sure we all remember how Pruitt and the previous head coaches would single out players for their errors and lack of success. Blame game. And there was no surprise that the players had no buy in.

Coach Heupel is an amazing breath of fresh air. The program needed it, the players needed it, and we needed it.
Don't know if ya'll saw it but Sabin criticized the players for the losses this year, not the coaches, but the players alone.

VN Store

Back