How do we beat Bama in Neyland Stadium this year?

Bama lost a lot of players to the NFL draft but they're still the most talented team in the country no question. We was less from a touchdown away from upsetting Bama in Tuacaloosa last year. This is probably Butch's best chance to end the streak in front of 100,000 fans in Neyland Stadium. We have the roster but do we have the mentality to win? What are some ways we could beat Bama that we failed to do last year? Of course Medley missing three critical field goal attempts will be the popular answer but I felt like our corners gave up too many passes towards the end of the game. With Shoop's agressive game plan, I expect our defense to get more stops on 3rd & 4th downs. I think the most important thing to beating Bama is to keep their offense off the field. Defense wins big games and I felt like that's what cost us the game last year is not getting key stops.

I would have said scoring more points than your opponent greatly increases your chances of winning, but someone else beat me to it.

Now that we have dispensed with the sarcasm, the main way to beat Bama is to worry about them in October. It does no good to focus on them in mid July. If you are, you are obsessed with them, and are letting them beat you. By the time they get here, you are so keyed up you are making all the mistakes they are counting on you to make.

There are other games to play before Bama gets here. Take care of getting better now, and be prepared for each opponent in turn.

Obvious answer is to score more points than them.

Over the years (and there are many) when Ala. has be "up" they have always had the best and the deepest lines. That being said, when you can't stop them from running down your throat, it not because your def. line is too tired to stop them, its because they have just run in a fresh of. line that's nearly as good as their first team line. They always seem to be 2 or 3 deep on both lines and that fresh of. line is often overlooked...

Reactions: 1 person
Score more than 20 and I think we got it!

To do that I think it'll take a balanced offense with a couple of big pass plays to free up JH and AK.

Stop the run. With a QB taking the reign, I expect them to struggle. I see them dropping 2 games during the regular season.

Bama lost a lot of players to the NFL draft but they're still the most talented team in the country no question. We was less from a touchdown away from upsetting Bama in Tuacaloosa last year. This is probably Butch's best chance to end the streak in front of 100,000 fans in Neyland Stadium. We have the roster but do we have the mentality to win? What are some ways we could beat Bama that we failed to do last year? Of course Medley missing three critical field goal attempts will be the popular answer but I felt like our corners gave up too many passes towards the end of the game. With Shoop's agressive game plan, I expect our defense to get more stops on 3rd & 4th downs. I think the most important thing to beating Bama is to keep their offense off the field. Defense wins big games and I felt like that's what cost us the game last year is not getting key stops.

Sneak exlax to their Gatorade!

Brooks wuz here, so wuz Red.
GBMFO

Vols need to play like champions to beat Bama.......simple

Vols must show that they want the game more than Bama does....

Capitalize on their inexperience at QB and stuff the run.

Alabama has such a great defense year in and year out, not just because of the talent level. The reason is that they control the line of scrimmage on offense which gives their defense a break. Ineffective fast pace offenses can really put a strain on the defense.

So if we can get them in a bunch of 3 and outs, we'll pull it out.

Score more IMHO!

;-)

TENNESSEEDUKE

Same way you win any football game. Control the clock, run the football successful and stop the run on defense. And no turnovers.

and there's karma debt owed by Kiffin that needs to be called in!

Okay, yeah, this is a good point. So let's go with this: any way we beat them is a good way, just hoping that it includes one errant throw out of bounds by either team's QB that breaks Kiffin's nose and sends him to UTK Hospital emergency room where he is mistakenly given a barium enema, catheter, and colonoscopy. Oh, and a "thanks for visiting Knoxville" sticker.

Best of all worlds, there. :)

1. Score more points than Bama!
2. Place Paul Fine-bum on the Bama sideline so him and Satan can go at it again.
3. Refuse Lame Kiffen entry into Neyland

General Neyland's 7 Maxims

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Reactions: 1 person
We have to limit turnovers, force them to drive the entire length of the field against Shoop's D. We have to win the special teams battle, Berry can be huge for regaining momentum after they score. Don't let Lane out smart you, he's one of the best offensive minds in the game and made us look stupid last time he was in Knoxville. Pass the freakin ball! Bama is crazy strong on the D line and at LB, secondary is their weakest unit

Pay off their sisters to quit giving them any nookie for a cpl weeks before the game. It'll really shake em up. "I thank sis is a cheatn on me wif my paw coach saban. I don't really feel like footballin today."

Reactions: 2 people
nick will have the refs in his pocket as usual---the vols will have to get a 10 point lead to keep the refs out of the game late.

VN Store

Back