How did UConn get so good?

I can see that and I think he has a good time at UConn but money will talk. UK should have just kept throwing down the $$$ until he said yes. At some point, you eventually say yes with enough $$$ on the table.
I edited my original post to address that. He is happy, and UCONN is not short on money. They can pay him.

Reactions: berryvol
I edited my original post to address that. He is happy, and UCONN is not short on money. They can pay him.

Look at the upcoming B1G/SEC TV deals. No way their TV deals or athletic department is raking in that dough. That is my point. Granted, I have some sarcasm as I think we will always have UConn-type stories in sports, but all the news keeps chiming about NIL, Conference Realignment, and big money will kill these other programs.

UConn is definitely bucking that trend. They make a fraction of what a B1G or SEC program will pull in (especially considering their Football money).

Look at the upcoming B1G/SEC TV deals. No way their TV deals or athletic department is raking in that dough. That is my point. Granted, I have some sarcasm as I think we will always have UConn-type stories in sports, but all the news keeps chiming about NIL, Conference Realignment, and big money will kill these other programs.

UConn is definitely bucking that trend. They make a fraction of what a B1G or SEC program will pull in (especially considering their Football money).
NIL doesn’t come from TV revenue. It comes from collective donors. They have huge Wall St donors.

UCONN has a very wealthy alumni base. Their NIL is top notch. UCONN spent $15 million on their basketball program last year. Money is not and never will be an issue there.

I get all of that but why didn't another school from B1G or SEC just buy him away from UConn last year. No way UConn can match the $$$ of these programs. Buy the players away as well.

I don't think you appreciate how enormous UConn is in the Northeast, and the wealth that surrounds the school. They are every bit the blue blood that Duke, UNC, UK, KU, or Arizona are, and are about to win their 6th national title, which would tie them all time with UNC and trail only UK and UCLA, who won the bulk of theirs before 1980.

You don't buy a coach away from that place any more than you would from any of the other blue bloods on that list. This is Hurley's dream job, and my guess is that he'll retire there.

Reactions: berryvol
Well it starts with Dan Hurley. He took Rhode Island to the Round of 32 back to back seasons after they were a 7-win team whenever he took over. The last time they had even made a NCAAT prior to his time there was 1998-99. His fifth year at Rhode Island saw them take off and what do you know his fifth year at UConn he won the national championship. He’s a damn good coach and everyone should have known he was going to get UConn winning again. He was one of the most underrated coaches in the country before he got the UConn job.

I don't think you appreciate how enormous UConn is in the Northeast, and the wealth that surrounds the school. They are every bit the blue blood that Duke, UNC, UK, KU, or Arizona are, and are about to win their 6th national title, which would tie them all time with UNC and trail only UK and UCLA, who won the bulk of theirs before 1980.

You don't buy a coach away from that place any more than you would from any of the other blue bloods on that list. This is Hurley's dream job, and my guess is that he'll retire there.
Arizona is far from a blue blood. They only have one title and four Final Fours.

Reactions: feathersax
Arizona is far from a blue blood. They only have one title and four Final Fours.

True that they're not on the same level as the others with regard to results, but if you look at the way they are treated by the national media and the fact that it is seen as a 'destination' coaching job, they fit the description to a degree. You're right that they don't belong in that company.

They supposedly have the most intense practices in college basketball. I’ve never seen them but I’ve heard it several times during the tournament.

Finally, I think UConn is Dan Hurley’s dream job. He and Bobby are close with White and his family going back to their Dad’s knowing each other and Bobby playing at Duke. While Hurley would take a meeting with White and listen, I think he’s at UCONN for the long haul. His agent reported “no interest” to UK overtures if you believe the rumors. He’s got the gig he wants. He’s very family oriented, community oriented, and church oriented. UConn is also not short on resources.

Hurley would not take a meeting with White. Silly notion. The great solution to the irrational need to win more college sports game---throw more money at people.

Hurley would not take a meeting with White. Silly notion. The great solution to the irrational need to win more college sports game---throw more money at people.
They’re friends for thirty plus years. It isn’t a “silly notion”. As I said, he’s close to zero odds of leaving, but we aren’t UK cold calling from the horse paddock.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
They recruit guys that can actually put the ball in the cylinder and then teach them to play pretty good defense.

VN Store

Back