How did the 1999 team not make it back to the National Championship game?

Nebraska didnt embarrass us in 99, we lost by ten points...in 1997 Nebraska was simply the best team in the country and wouldve manhandled anyone that day

Tennessee earned their NC in 1998, but average QB play and bad coaching cost us in 99
I'm not sure the game you watched. They had several 95+ yard drives running the ball on us up the middle every play in the Fiesta bowl. That is domination and it was never close.

Fulmer had to had been as frustrated against Florida as any UT fan as well...the "modern series" was so different compared to any other for UT

1990 - crushed highly ranked Florida at home
1991 - competitive game in Swamp until late surge by Florida
1992 - crushed highly ranked Florida at home
1993 - lost a close one on the road due to DEFENSE
1994 - Florida was simply a much better team vs our injured worn-down team from the schedule
1995 - Manning had great game and Fulmer had great gameplan to dominate in Swamp, but turnovers and defensive breakdown cost them everything
1996 - UT was definitely tighter and had more pressure to win, once florida completed 4th and 11 for TD, it was a hit in the mouth and although UT played back into it, it was over
1997 - UT played decent, but this was on the coaches, not playing Jamal Lewis, and Florida's defense played nasty
1998 - UT wanted it more and showed it
1999 - UT played a C+ type game and still shouldve won if not for coaching, some questionable late ref calls
2000 - UT dominated the entire game but settled for FGs and lost due to the bad ref call which cost them the SEC east title
2001 - Two great teams, but UT was the better team, and despite the worst game ever by Witten, won the game in the Swamp
2002 - Two rebuilding teams, UT was in it but those rain-soaked turnovers were killers
2003 - Tennessee played harder, especially running the ball and limited mistakes
2004 - Ainge played exceptional for a Freshman, UT got a fortunate call, but still deserved the win
2005 - Urban's first game in the series, defensive struggle, UT had too many missed opportunities on offense
2006 - This one pissed me off, UT was much better and had dominated the game up until the returned TD fumble on Leak which wouldve made it 3 TDs lead called back for a BS penalty
2007 - Florida was the much better team, although UT tried to hang in as long as possible
2008 - Florida simply the better team
2009 - Florida was the better team, although Tennessee hung tough
2010 - Dooley blew this game, Tennessee had a good chance to compete, but turnovers and coaching blew it
2011 - Tennessee again hung tough in Swamp, but Florida was better
2012 - The worst coached game of the Dooley era IMO...those turnovers doomed a likely win
2013 - Florida played harder
2014 - No excuse for UT losing this game, dominated the entire game and got multiple turnovers from Florida, the FG that Florida won by shouldnt have counted as it was snapped after the play clock expired
2015 - Another Butch Jones special, snatched a loss from the jaws of victory, no way we should've lost that game
2016 - Great win but it took the team overcoming bad defensive coaching
2017 - Another game that shouldve been a win for Tennessee, hail mary loss thanks again to Butch
2018/2019 - Florida simply had more talent and depth.

This year should be interesting, but looking back how different would the series be looked at today if UT hangs on and wins the games I bolded and is 17-13 against the Gators?

SMH

Reactions: Boston Vol
Lol. No we couldn’t have beaten Miami.
Villanova could also never beat Georgetown with Patrick Ewing and those other multiyear future NBA veterans, Namath could never beat Don Shula's Colts, the history of American sports is full of examples of the stupidity of using absolutes when talking about ballgames.

I'm not sure the game you watched. They had several 95+ yard drives running the ball on us up the middle every play in the Fiesta bowl. That is domination and it was never close.
Several? They had two, and one of those was aided by a penalty. It was 17-14 in the 3rd quarter and we had a chance to take lead so the “never close” is revisionist history. They had 150 more total yards than we did although they did dominate rushing yds

Several? They had two, and one of those was aided by a penalty. It was 17-14 in the 3rd quarter and we had a chance to take lead so the “never close” is revisionist history. They had 150 more total yards than we did although they did dominate rushing yds
I will just say having watched the game that it was one of those games that they were in control of throughout and the outcome never seemed in doubt. We all know that kind of game, a lot of times we've been on the winning side of such a game but Nebraska was the better team that day.

I will just say having watched the game that it was one of those games that they were in control of throughout and the outcome never seemed in doubt. We all know that kind of game, a lot of times we've been on the winning side of such a game but Nebraska was the better team that day.

I don’t disagree with that

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
While we are talking about the Hogs. Great movie about Brandon Burlsworth now on Netflix. What a class guy. A guy that vol fans are very familiar with.
If you haven't watched it check out "Greater" I thought it blew away Blindside

I cancelled Netflix, but I'd like to see that. Great player and tragic story. I heard Billy Ratliff telling about the stumble/fumble play. I'm paraphrasing here ...
After Ratliff told Tee to "keep his hat on" as he ran off the field, he knew he had to make a play somehow. On that play (2nd down iirc) Ratliff had to give his all. Unfortunately, he said he was again facing Burlsworth who had "worn him him out all day long" according to his own words. But Ratliff's explosion off the line got under the giant just enough for him to have to step back and step on Stoerner's foot as he pulled away from center. The rest was history. BR had huge respect for that guy's game.

Burlsworth also saved a pic 6 by Al Wilson earlier in that game with a touchdown saving tackle down the sidelines.

That game has to feel like our LSU01' to Arky. Breaks my ❤️! 😄

Reactions: vols40
I cancelled Netflix, but I'd like to see that. Great player and tragic story. I heard Billy Ratliff telling about the stumble/fumble play. I'm paraphrasing here ...
After Ratliff told Tee to "keep his hat on" as he ran off the field, he knew he had to make a play somehow. On that play (2nd down iirc) Ratliff had to give his all. Unfortunately, he said he was again facing Burlsworth who had "worn him him out all day long" according to his own words. But Ratliff's explosion off the line got under the giant just enough for him to have to step back and step on Stoerner's foot as he pulled away from center. The rest was history. BR had huge respect for that guy's game.

Burlsworth also saved a pic 6 by Al Wilson earlier in that game with a touchdown saving tackle down the sidelines.

That game has to feel like our LSU01' to Arky. Breaks my ❤️! 😄

I only knew of him through that play. But what a wonderful class guy BB was.

Reactions: MikeVol44
I'm just wanting to pick the brain of some older folks here. I was five then.

I'm watching the Wyoming game and seeing all these NFL players all over the field. Tee Martin dropping dimes. Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry look ridiculous. Defense has unreal speed and talent.

How did we screw that up and lose three games?

1. Failing to block Alex Brown from Fla...he said after game he knew when ball would be snapped..we never adjusted to him. But in spite of all of that, a toss-sweep into short side of field on 4th down when a bootleg would've been ideal call.
2. Leonard "hands of stone" Scott dropped a sure TD pass 5 yards behind the nearest Arky defender.....
3 Nebraska was extremely physical...and Chavis sold out to stop the run in 1st half--Nebraska adjusted and threw the ball to TE...we didn't adjust...but in the end, Nebraska was just better.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It’s called the Miami Hurricanes. The 2001 Canes would have beaten us by 21+. It would have been a slaughter.
I know Miami was a great team but I disagree. I think the 01 Vols were the only team that would have handled Miami. I actually think Miami caught a break not having to play this team. I still scratch my head when I look at this roster. The following draft had 10 players go in it. I think there were 20 players on this team that went on to have NFL careers.

I know Miami was a great team but I disagree. I think the 01 Vols were the only team that would have handled Miami. I actually think Miami caught a break not having to play this team. I still scratch my head when I look at this roster. The following draft had 10 players go in it. I think there were 20 players on this team that went on to have NFL careers.
That Miami team had 11 players selected in the following draft and 38 overall. I disagree with some on here who say they would have blown UT out because the Vols did present some matchup issues for Miami. On the other hand it’s hard to say, like some other posters, that UT would have won. It reality it would have been a competitive game with Miami probably winning by around 10.

Spurrier, Arkansas had revenge on their mind, and Nebraska was just better, arguably the best team in the country at that time.

The real question is how the 2001 team doesn't win a NC.

It happens. I can remember at least three more championships that Pat should have had. How did the Lady Vols softball team with Monica pitching not win at least one championship? Every time I hear someone talking about how great a coach Ray Mears was, I remember Ernie and Bernie and how he couldn't get them to the final four. Sometimes talent isn't enough. Same with coaching. Sometimes, you just gotta have luck too. The 98 team had it.

While we are talking about the Hogs. Great movie about Brandon Burlsworth now on Netflix. What a class guy. A guy that vol fans are very familiar with.
If you haven't watched it check out "Greater" I thought it blew away Blindside

Thanks for the recommendation. I watched it today. What a great movie. BB stayed on his plotted course! Sad how it ended for him.

I remember being in the mindset that Tennessee was getting outplayed badly. If they wanted to run, they did. They were the better team, I remember feeling that there was no way we could have beaten them.

I remember being in the mindset that Tennessee was getting outplayed badly. If they wanted to run, they did. They were the better team, I remember feeling that there was no way we could have beaten them.
Those 90's Nebraska teams were extremely legit. I still consider their 95' team the greatest college football team ever, at least in the modern era, post-integration.

I'd still buy Tommie Frazier multiple beers for this:

Last edited:
After the Florida game where the offensive staff failed to block the Fla DE all night, a few on the team began to look out for themselves. I thin selfishness caused the Ark loss and no way was Tennessee motivated to play in the Fiesta Bowl AGAIN after winning a NC the previous year there.

If motivated properly, I think Tennessee would have been a good opponent for FSU.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Thanks for the recommendation. I watched it today. What a great movie. BB stayed on his plotted course! Sad how it ended for him.

I just realized that Tim McGraw is what ruined the Blindside for me. Not a big Tim McGraw fan

I just realized that Tim McGraw is what ruined the Blindside for me. Not a big Tim McGraw fan

Sandra Bullock in that white skirt kept my attention:

7c48c2d3a8c93290299691d70c935944.jpg

VN Store

Back