How could Dooley be so bad?

he had no clue--he got the UT job and other jobs just with his dad's name--one of the worst coaches in the SEC in 50 years

Bama has 3. McElroy has already washed out to Bray's backup that was one of the worst QBs UT has had
in the last 40 years. And McCarron is next, just a matter of time
. And of course your team didnt have anything
to do with all those wins, just like UT's team didnt
have anything to do with all those losses your'e pinning on one guy. Keep it up Bammer, if you dont mind being
embarrassed, I dont mind being the one to make you look like a fool.

What does either of their NFL careers have to do with anything?

Reactions: 2 people
Kentucky loss to a WR playing QB? Vandy blowout loss? Just a couple more issues that might've led to his firing.

Also, he's the primary reason the culture went to crap...he wasn't an innocent bystander, he was the culprit.

Yeah he really drained the life out of the team. With his "realism".

The worst coach since Jerry Dinardo in the SEC. Zook and even Dubose was better than Dooley.

Wth man? How... i STILL can't believe that guy got 3 years of UT football history. You let a good DC go without much of a fight, and then hire Sunseri....
You know what, i don't want to rehash this stuff.

Unbelievable. Dooley...

True. But that ignores his no-show in the second half against UF, and complete no-shows against Bama and Vandy, and he wasn't exactly great against MSU. And as I pointed out earlier, UT's defense actually gave them a chance against UGA. UGA's last 4 possessions were 3 & Out, 4 & Out, 3 & Out, and 3 & Out, and they gained a grand total of 17 yards during those 13 plays. So the opportunity was there, but UT's last 3 possessions were Interception, Fumble by Bray, Interception.

But you are absolutely right about the games against USCe and Mizzou. There really isn't any more that Bray could have done in either of those games.

Why is anybody pandering to this clown troll?

I have followed UT football for better than 30 years and the 3 years that Derek Dooley was the head coach was by far the biggest cluster in program history, IMO.

Granted the program wasn't in elite shape when he took over, but if anything, UT still had name recognition if nothing else, after a great 15 yr run followed by a few years of mediocrity with Fulmer and one year with Kiffin( granted he kept the brand in the limelight if nothing else.)

How does a perennial SEC power house get to the depths Dooley took us?

My question is this...with the current coaching staff and roster, could Dooley return us to prominence, or would he **** this up too?

If I had any doubts about you, after reading your stuff in the politics forum, they have now been removed completely. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
i have followed ut football for better than 30 years and the 3 years that derek dooley was the head coach was by far the biggest cluster in program history, imo.

Granted the program wasn't in elite shape when he took over, but if anything, ut still had name recognition if nothing else, after a great 15 yr run followed by a few years of mediocrity with fulmer and one year with kiffin( granted he kept the brand in the limelight if nothing else.)

how does a perennial sec power house get to the depths dooley took us?

My question is this...with the current coaching staff and roster, could dooley return us to prominence, or would he **** this up too?

frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg

Dooley was never qualified for this job. It's been stated before that he was a micromanager who was difficult to play for and even more difficult to work with. He was not a very good motivator and was below average on the recruiting trail. That's a pretty dreadful combination.

I actually know a family of a kid he was recruiting from my hometown up in Paris.
Life-long UT fans, but the player still chose Vandy, and although I do not know the ins and outs of the situation, the family of this kid has all but said Dooley was an a**hole for the way he and his staff handled business on the recruiting trail.

Can't blame him at all for taking the golden ticket opportunity UT gave him, but the dude was a slow motion, colossal train wreck for the program. I agree with those further commending CBJ for the job he's done so far.

I'm over being mad he was here. He is gone now. We can't get those years back. Let's move on. Better times are already here. I promise. Please let it die.

Reactions: 3 people
Well said.

I probably shouldn't say too much. I still haven't gotten over Bill Battle, but at least we didn't hang on to Dooley as long. CBJ is the man now, and after seeing the way he does his business, I feel we can rest assured that the tradition of UT football is in good hands.

I have followed UT football for better than 30 years and the 3 years that Derek Dooley was the head coach was by far the biggest cluster in program history, IMO.

Granted the program wasn't in elite shape when he took over, but if anything, UT still had name recognition if nothing else, after a great 15 yr run followed by a few years of mediocrity with Fulmer and one year with Kiffin( granted he kept the brand in the limelight if nothing else.)

How does a perennial SEC power house get to the depths Dooley took us?

My question is this...with the current coaching staff and roster, could Dooley return us to prominence, or would he **** this up too?

I thought that he did a decent coaching job his first season, minus the LSU game, but his recruiting of top prospects was terrible at best the entire time he was at UT.

I probably shouldn't say too much. I still haven't gotten over Bill Battle, but at least we didn't hang on to Dooley as long. CBJ is the man now, and after seeing the way he does his business, I feel we can rest assured that the tradition of UT football is in good hands.

You ever work at the Jolly Ox?

It is truly amazing just how precipitously the program declined under Battle's direction. With Dickey's recruits primarily, he went 31-5 during his first three years and the 1970-71 defenses were absolutely extraordinary, setting records for turnovers caused that still have not been broken.

Alas, the man could not recruit and his record from 1973-76 was 28-17-2. The talent pool declined so rapidly that Johnny issued his famous "The cupboard is bare" comment upon assuming the helm in 1977.

It is truly amazing just how precipitously the program declined under Battle's direction. With Dickey's recruits primarily, he went 31-5 during his first three years and the 1970-71 defenses were absolutely extraordinary, setting records for turnovers caused that still have not been broken.

Alas, the man could not recruit and his record from 1973-76 was 28-17-2. The talent pool declined so rapidly that Johnny issued his famous "The cupboard is bare" comment upon assuming the helm in 1977.

Pert Jenkins was a friend of mine. He played DT at 225. He was a great athlete but.....

Battle wasn't a bad coach, he just refused to recruit. I was on the Fire Bill Battle committee, but he just
charmed us to the point where we were all ready to put him in the White House. By the time they fired him
way too much damage was done.

I think the Condredge / Battle / UT loss to Bama in 76 was the most heartbreaking of any I have ever experienced in my long career of fandom.

Pert Jenkins was a friend of mine. He played DT at 225. He was a great athlete but.....

Battle wasn't a bad coach, he just refused to recruit. I was on the Fire Bill Battle committee, but he just
charmed us to the point where we were all ready to put him in the White House. By the time they fired him
way too much damage was done.

No, he wasn't a bad coach. In fact, his winning percentage at Tennessee was significantly higher than Coach Majors', but, then again, it took Johnny several years to restock the talent pool. Battle was, however, also the youngest head coach in the country when he was hired to replace Dickey. Perhaps he would have had more success if he assumed the reins with prior experience in that capacity. On the other hand, it is quite possible that his record would have been much worse during the second half of his career if he had not been able to sign Condredge Holloway.

After 47 years of watching Tennessee football, the two great "what if" questions are, in my opinion, the following:

(1) If Dickey had been hired as head coach one year earlier, what would have been the long-term impact of Steven Orr Spurrier utilizing his talents for the University of Tennessee, which he has said that he would have done, had we not still been running the single-wing in 1963?

(2) If Dickey had the sense to stay at Tennessee long-term after rebuilding the program to top-10 status, what would have been his legacy? Personally, I believe that he could have carved out a legacy comparable to Vince Dooley’s: 250 career victories, a half-dozen SEC titles and, perhaps, a national title or two. We almost certainly would not have experienced the dark days of the mid-late 1970s and early 1980s, and Dickey’s impact would have lessened the severity of Bear Bryant’s reign of terror in the 1970s.

No, he wasn't a bad coach. In fact, his winning percentage at Tennessee was significantly higher than Coach Majors', but, then again, it took Johnny several years to restock the talent pool. Battle was, however, also the youngest head coach in the country when he was hired to replace Dickey. Perhaps he would have had more success if he assumed the reins with prior experience in that capacity. On the other hand, it is quite possible that his record would have been much worse during the second half of his career if he had not been able to sign Condredge Holloway.

After 47 years of watching Tennessee football, the two great "what if" questions are, in my opinion, the following:

(1) If Dickey had been hired as head coach one year earlier, what would have been the long-term impact of Steven Orr Spurrier utilizing his talents for the University of Tennessee, which he has said that he would have done, had we not still been running the single-wing in 1963?

(2) If Dickey had the sense to stay at Tennessee long-term after rebuilding the program to top-10 status, what would have been his legacy? Personally, I believe that he could have carved out a legacy comparable to Vince Dooley’s: 250 career victories, a half-dozen SEC titles and, perhaps, a national title or two. We almost certainly would not have experienced the dark days of the mid-late 1970s and early 1980s, and Dickey’s impact would have lessened the severity of Bear Bryant’s reign of terror in the 1970s.

I think Dickey could have been another Bear at UT. And I dont think that 70' team loses to Auburn in
Birmingham, undefeated season and a NC. Its still not clear to me why Woodruff allowed him to leave.
Program destroyer.

I think the Condredge / Battle / UT loss to Bama in 76 was the most heartbreaking of any I have ever experienced in my long career of fandom.

If that is the game that Condredge fumbled in the last two minutes, I am sure that he would agree with you. For the young whippersnappers who don't realize just how cyclic the Tennessee-Alabama series has been, here is an interesting bit of trivia:

"For Alabama the woes of the program's nadir in the 1950s was exemplified by the run of futility against the Volunteers. Between 1940 and 1960 the Crimson Tide eked out a meagre 1-9-2 record against Tennessee. Exempting a 27-0 victory in Knoxville in 1954, Alabama was outscored by the Volunteers 188-56 over that span" (Alabama vs Tennessee: A Historical Retrospective - Roll 'Bama Roll).

Note: It looks like there was a typo in the passage quoted above. The 1-9-2 record on Alabama's part would have been for the years 1948-1960.

Last edited:
If that is the game that Condredge fumbled in the last two minutes, I am sure that he would agree with you. For the young whippersnappers who don't realize just how cyclic the Tennessee-Alabama series has been, here is an interesting bit of trivia:

"For Alabama the woes of the program's nadir in the 1950s was exemplified by the run of futility against the Volunteers. Between 1940 and 1960 the Crimson Tide eked out a meagre 1-9-2 record against Tennessee. Exempting a 27-0 victory in Knoxville in 1954, Alabama was outscored by the Volunteers 188-56 over that span" (Alabama vs Tennessee: A Historical Retrospective - Roll 'Bama Roll).

I hate Bama. That is all.

VN Store

Back