How bad is Tennessee pass defense ? Future defense 2022 ?

I was trying to figure out how "good" our defensive coaches are.
I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
DL coach Rodney Garner - enough said, he is awesome
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

Tennessee football: Breaking down Vols’ new defensive coaching staff

Edit: You cannot teach speed, you either have it or you don't, everything else is coachable and we are missing speed in the secondary

As I see it, our D coaches played with the cards they were dealt. They worked with what they had. To me, we do not yet have enough SEC-caliber players to field an SEC-caliber defense.

Maybe Mitchell can get healthy and make an impact. Jeremy Banks is a ball player. Vols have transfers from Alabama and Auburn in the secondary now so don’t expect miracles from the portal. Also don’t rule out that this secondary group will get vastly better if pass rush improves from Baron, Young and incoming edge players.

I would like to see a punishing H-back bruiser type guy who can get short yardage consistently. When will some of Travis Henry’s kids be ready?

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I actually thought the D played somewhat decent for much of the season. But that game on Thursday was atrocious. I don't know what the heck happened. Footing of the field didn't help.

Our secondary is TALENTED however, Martinez teaches a horrible scheme. Just look how bad he made Justin Coleman and Emanual Mosely look in college and yet both of them are talented enough to make and start on NFL rosters.

NowNUOTE="Hunerwadel, post: 20748677, member: 75030"]It was so bad Thursday that ESPN almost cut away to Heidi.[/QUOTE]
Now youre dating yourself with that reference. LOL

Maybe Mitchell can get healthy and make an impact. Jeremy Banks is a ball player. Vols have transfers from Alabama and Auburn in the secondary now so don’t expect miracles from the portal. Also don’t rule out that this secondary group will get vastly better if pass rush improves from Baron, Young and incoming edge players.

I would like to see a punishing H-back bruiser type guy who can get short yardage consistently. When will some of Travis Henry’s kids be ready?
Speaking of Bama transfers, what ever happened to Turnage? Dude balls out in the one game he starts ( vs.Bama) and then hardly plays the rest of the season???

Reactions: knox73
I thought Pruitt was a defensive minded coach. How is UT's defense lacking so much talent? Glad he is gone.

Anyway, let's give the new staff time to get more talent in and see how they compete. Hopefully 2022 will be much better year on defense.

I was trying to figure out how "good" our defensive coaches are.
I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
DL coach Rodney Garner - enough said, he is awesome
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

Tennessee football: Breaking down Vols’ new defensive coaching staff

Edit: You cannot teach speed, you either have it or you don't, everything else is coachable and we are missing speed in the secondary
I saw a lot of the same problems in the Rose Bowl last night and those teams are supposed to have some of the best defensive players in the Country. I thought Cincinnati had the best DBs I have seen so far. they are long lean, hard nosed, fast and aggressive. Those are the type players we must recruit if we want to defend the pass. We have to realize that it takes those type players if you are playing man defense in today's game.

In my 50+ years of Vol fandom, this was the absolute worst in my memory. Epically bad. I hope like hell we can find significant help in the portal. I saw a couple of days ago that the safety from Northwestern (All American) is entering.

not much worse than in the last 20 years. yes, they've had some good talent in the secondary but it takes more than one or two to test these SEC QB's & receivers

Over the season, they were quite good.

Tough to compare just 1 game, without our CB1, when their passing game was already slaughtering folks down the stretch, even OSU.

Let's not overreact over 1 bowl game lol.

I think we were 104th in passing yards allowed.
Bro...we defended nearly the most plays in CFB 🤣

Let's look at per play stats. We were 53rd in YPA. That's an improvement over Pruitt "the guru" in 2020 after just 1 season.

VN Store

Back