How bad is Tennessee pass defense ? Future defense 2022 ?

This is possibly one of the worst defensive secondary play I can remember : 75 yd td, 70 yd td, 62 yd td, Purdue quarterback 534 yds passing, total penalties 14 for 128, 45 points, 2 sacks. What will the defense be like in 2022? Big problems- pass rush, linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties !!

It wasn't a great overall effort even though we snagged 3 ints. But we were without Taylor, George and Turnage in the secondary.

We also didn't pressure QB enough which added pressure to DBs.

But if you asked me why we lost the game I will say it has just as much to do with:

1. OL and DL not playing well enough.
2. Bad tackling on two TD plays.
3. Bad officiating, that we really got the brunt of (this is usually an easy cop out for losing but today it was extra bad so I mention it).
4. Not using our speed and running to the perimeter enough. Almost every running play was between the tackles.
5. 2nd Quarter, especially the last minute.
6. Not getting extra yards to make it easier for FG try at end of regulation. One of those long passes should have been an 8-15 yard pass which would have greatly improved chances of making FG attempt.
7. Even without the flopping, it sure seemed like we really slowed the offense down at times.

I was trying to figure out how "good" our defensive coaches are.
I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
DL coach Rodney Garner - enough said, he is awesome
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

Tennessee football: Breaking down Vols’ new defensive coaching staff

Edit: You cannot teach speed, you either have it or you don't, everything else is coachable and we are missing speed in the secondary

Mark Richt was one of the nicest and forgiving coaches in the SEC -and yet fired Willie Martinez. Georgia wasn’t devoid of talent then. I saw nothing special out of him during Butch Jones’s tenure here either.

Of course he needs more talent, but I’m not sure that he will ever be the answer long term. Unsure on Tim Banks as well - looks as though a majority of his career has been as a Co-Defensive Coordinator but not much as the main guy.

DB maybe one if the more difficult positions other than QB, but clearly our players lack in speed and in technique. I knew we were challenged to put it nicely, but this was just bad. Field conditions didn’t help them much either I’m sure.

Gave up almost as many passing yards to Purdue as total yards vs Alabama ( 534 to 574).

That was a very poor effort by the defense even with the awful officiating.

Probably 5 to 6 guys who have heart but need to be recruited over on the defensive side. Hope they hit the portal hard the next few months.

Teams that run the offensive system that Heupel runs never have good defenses. The best to hope for is to have an average defense.

MCB was really poor. Have to hit the transfer portal for more help. If Tenn offers, you have to think any potential transfer should think they can be a starter. If you can't beat what we put on the field in Nashville, you aren't very good yourself.

66 years old.....served on football staffs for over 30 years....If I've seen a worse defense this old brain has forgotten it...probably on purpose. Need help everywhere....Lots of it...

Need help on offense too.....a lot of help.

well for 1 thing they need "dogs" going after the qb so the damn other teams qb doesn't have day to throw the fb! another thing is you gotta have some tall guys with speed in the "backend" that are athletic to! but the whole damn defense needs to come to play with a real nasty attitude every play...even the subs!Only Banks a and Young to appear to play with some damn attitude!

I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

Edit: You cannot teach speed, you either have it or you don't, everything else is coachable and we are missing speed in the secondary

lack of talent is not coachable.

Georgia put a walk-on in at safety during the second half due to injuries. They never missed a beat and he looked better than our guys. Our DBs were bad in 2020 and they were bad in 2021. What is consistent is the players.

to boot, defensive front could not get pressure on the QB. Gives bad talent on the back end no chance.

<blue font> "Boy hidey, we took that football up and down the field the whole game. Woooooooooooooowee we got an offense!!! Wooooooooooooooooooweee, we're 'xtin "!!!! Heupel ball rules!!!!"

We lost you dumbkof!!

If we don't get an influx of starters from the portal these guys need to hit S&C hard. I'm not sure we've landed an immediate impact guy yet on defense.

Hopefully, more dudes will move into the portal. Most of the higher rated DBs are already off the table. Could be really slim pickings.

DBs seem to be a weak point. Cannot tell if it is talent deficiency or talent plus coaching, but Burrell didn’t seem to ever get better.
LBs, I didn’t think Banks was worth a crap, but they turned him into a heck of a player. He still does stupid stuff, but they coached it down from every other play to just once or twice a game.
D-line - lack of pressure at time was concerning

DBs seem to be a weak point. Cannot tell if it is talent deficiency or talent plus coaching, but Burrell didn’t seem to ever get better.
LBs, I didn’t think Banks was worth a crap, but they turned him into a heck of a player. He still does stupid stuff, but they coached it down from every other play to just once or twice a game.
D-line - lack of pressure at time was concerning

If you think that LB play is going to get it done in the SEC then you might as well be a Vandy fan. Beasley just made the follies. Every position needs to be improved or guys need to take a big leap. I have the most confidence in the interior line as guys like Simmons come back healthy.

If you think that LB play is going to get it done in the SEC then you might as well be a Vandy fan. Beasley just made the follies. Every position needs to be improved or guys need to take a big leap. I have the most confidence in the interior line as guys like Simmons come back healthy.
I just have hope that since they turned Banks into a decent player, they can polish someone else into at least a shiny turd

Just watch the game..it’s not coaching when we get beat to the sideline on outside runs and every QB outruns our entire front seven for the most part. These guys played as hard as any team I’ve ever seen so I’m not knocking them at all, but our lack of team speed on D jumps out at you.

Honestly, our secondary hasn’t been good in a LONG time. Probably early 2000’s. In 2015 and 2016, it got masked because we had Barnett and Vereen.

Reactions: Pappy
I get bad coaching, but our guys kept getting burned on the same plays over and over again. They consistently left too much cushion and didn’t pursue well. It seemed their eyes were always on the QB instead of the guy they were supposed to cover. Anticipating where the ball was going seemed to be an ongoing problem. As many plays as Taylor made, he had just as many where he got burned. These were issues the whole season and seemed to get worse.

VN Store

Back