How amazing would it have been to see Cordarrelle Patterson in this offense?

Watching Patterson in college was worth the price of admission when he had the ball in hand. It truly is rare to watch someone that gifted play. The rest of the team might not have been great but when he went back to receive a kick, you didn't know what was going to happen but it was a legitimate shot to break and score almost every time.

Watching Patterson in college was worth the price of admission when he had the ball in hand. It truly is rare to watch someone that gifted play. The rest of the team might not have been great but when he went back to receive a kick, you didn't know what was going to happen but it was a legitimate shot to break and score almost every time.

Agreed. In my lifetime, he was absolutely the most electric player I ever saw in orange and white! He was the last player I can remember where when he had the ball in is hands, everyone kind of held their collective breath because you just expected something great to happen. The only other player I can think of that came close to that was when Evan Berry was returning kickoffs. CP in THIS offense today...it almost wouldn't be fair!

There is an thread in this Forum for 'Most underutilized Vol'.
Not sure if CP was the most underutilized, but I would put him in my Top 5.

I don't feel he ever got the tutelage at the WR spot he needed.
Also, seeing him at RB in the league, I wonder why UT didn't play him more in certain situations.

He would have been a Belintnikoff winner.
This offense is perfect for him.
Because of its simplicity.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Just a random thought I had this morning. CP in this offense would've absolutely put up PlayStation numbers!

CP is closer to retiring than he is from leaving Tennessee. So, that random thought does not truly enter my mind.

Hypothetically he could have broke a lot of records if he’d have came in as a Freshman and attended class.The best pure athlete I’ve ever seen clad in orange

I still go back and watch his highlights of his one year from time to time. He was absolutely electric with the ball and would have easily been one of the all time greats if he was here for 3 years

CP and Velus returning kicks together!

PK would just kick the ball straight out of bounds every time. Or attempt onside kicks as they would surrender less yardage. lol

Also, seeing him at RB in the league, I wonder why UT didn't play him more in certain situations.

Good Lord man. Did you watch the actual football games that he played in. There were only 12 and he wasn't gonna be eligible for any more if there had been. Doolittle has 1 plan, get the ball to CP. Go back and watch. Passes, end.arounds, toss sweeps, reverses, screens, kick returns. If anybody carried the load it was him. It became predictable nearly. Did you want him at safety or QB too (he actually did that, btw). Dolittle could do one thing and that was bring in and develop WRs. Patterson was a prime example and Dooley rode that guys ball in hands skills like crazy.

I've heard this "underutilized" B$ before. It's just not true. There are plenty of realistic Vol scandals for the past 15 years. Pick one of those.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Skill level wise, he was right up there with Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush as the most skilled athletes I've seen at the college level in my life. The speed and agility of those guys is rare.

Skill level wise, he was right up there with Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush as the most skilled athletes I've seen at the college level in my life. The speed and agility of those guys is rare.
I dont know how old you are but I would add Rocket Ismail to that list as well. In terms of pure speed I never saw anyone like him. Perhaps Michael Vick too. Oh hell, I guess Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker should be mentioned too.

Last edited:

Between catches, rushes and returns, he probably got 100 touches.

Just a random thought I had this morning. CP in this offense would've absolutely put up PlayStation numbers!

CP was too inconsistent at catching the ball. He was explosive when he got it but catching and knowing where to be just not part of what he could do. He would have been about like Payton in the offense.

He would have been a Belintnikoff winner.
This offense is perfect for him.
Because of its simplicity.
I'm not sure "simplicity" is an accurate way to describe the receivers' role in this offense.
1651930829195.png

To play receiver in this offense, you've got to consistently see what the QB sees, make decisions on-the-fly, and be a better than average blocker.

I remember hearing frequently that at Tennessee CP had trouble with route running, though the specifics of that always sounded like speculation. I'm not sure at that stage of his career, CP had the football IQ necessary to start in Heupel's offense.

On the other hand, these "extra" offensive requirements might explain why certain 3-star athletes can produce 4- and 5-star numbers on the field.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
You guys bashing CP are crazy - he would have had 1K yards on screen plays alone. Most physically gifted WR to ever play at UT. Look at what he accomplished with Doofus as the coach and just imagine what he could have done with Hype running the offense.

I'm not sure "simplicity" is an accurate way to describe the receivers' role in this offense.
View attachment 453508

To play receiver in this offense, you've got to consistently see what the QB sees, make decisions on-the-fly, and be a better than average blocker.

I remember hearing frequently that at Tennessee CP had trouble with route running, though the specifics of that always sounded like speculation. I'm not sure at that stage of his career, CP had the football IQ necessary to start in Heupel's offense.

On the other hand, these "extra" offensive requirements might explain why certain 3-star athletes can produce 4- and 5-star numbers on the field.

route recognition concept is a BASIC staple in any offense these days.
No offense, but you're also missing the most important aspect of this offense...and that's to make the defense react or "freeze" (by forcing the action). If the WR is just reading the coverage then that is taking away a lot of the inherit advantages of offense football in general.

Proactive vs Reactive.

I'm sorry to have to tell people this over and over, but Heupel's offense as it is right now, is very basic.
It's the intensity and precision that makes it dangerous. Just watch how Florida, and UGA shut it down.

But back to Patterson. He would have been unstoppable in this offense.

It's not like he had a bum at QB. Bray was one of the most underrated QBs at UT.

I'll die on that hill. QB wasn't the issue

VN Store

Back