How about Rush Propst?

Honestly I'm at the point where I don't give a damn if he were to hire Propst as an assistant or quality control or something. He's a great coach at the high school level and I know he has some major baggage but he's helped out some kids as well in pretty tough spots.

Two women will do that to you.

Probst just got caught with his hand in the jar. the amount of coaches parents entrust their kids to that have squeeze on the side and are no better a choice to mentor their kids is staggering. Side ho. Side family. The morals are the same.

For the record, I live near where Rush coaches. He is the Saban of GA high school football. Don't know what that would translate to in SEC, but he plays for the title every year around here.

Create some type of role for him like Butch has at Bammer or something if you want to bring him along for the ride. Don’t make him the OC. Good grief!

Reactions: joepuppy
Exactly. I love UT football. But, I remember back before the 90's as well. No disrespect, but take away the Fulmer years, and UT football has a storied history. As well as greatly intermittent. Many eras of mediocre broken up by great runs of success. I remember when 7-5 and 8-4 was the norm. And trips to the bluebonnet bowl. And there were potent players on some of those late 70's and early 80's rosters with nothing to show for it.
Hey, I got to watch some of the UT greats from field level during the games. That is one big perk of being in the band. I got to rub elbows with the likes of Reggie White at the beginning of games and surrounding halftime. I don't think a lot of posters remember what it was like watching 12 consecutive iso plays (4 3 and outs) against Army in 1986, only to lose the game. BTW, they also got drubbed by Alabama the next week 56-28. It bites remembering some of those losses for sure. That team was only 7-5, but at least I got to go to my 4th consecutive bowl game...even if it was the Liberty Bowl.

Hey, I got to watch some of the UT greats from field level during the games. That is one big perk of being in the band. I got to rub elbows with the likes of Reggie White at the beginning of games and surrounding halftime. I don't think a lot of posters remember what it was like watching 12 consecutive iso plays (4 3 and outs) against Army in 1986, only to lose the game. BTW, they also got drubbed by Alabama the next week 56-28. It bites remembering some of those losses for sure. That team was only 7-5, but at least I got to go to my 4th consecutive bowl game...even if it was the Liberty Bowl.

I was a lowly member of our track team when Gault was a HS senior. We were not allowed on the track when those guys ran. "We hadn't earned the respect" to be on the same track. Lot of legends back then.

I was a lowly member of our track team when Gault was a HS senior. We were not allowed on the track when those guys ran. "We hadn't earned the respect" to be on the same track. Lot of legends back then.
I got to watch Gault play my first two years. He was an orange blur on the field.

Probst just got caught with his hand in the jar. the amount of coaches parents entrust their kids to that have squeeze on the side and are no better a choice to mentor their kids is staggering. Side ho. Side family. The morals are the same.
And cheating with grades, suspended a year for headbutting a player....small stuff like that.

Yeah. Maybe we should just hire some no name who has zero SEC experience to be the OC. That sounds just like a TN hire. Good grief. Propst? If that's the best we can do then we truly are screwed.
If Pruitt hires a guy similar to this he might as well resign now. The OC position is key to the HC keeping his job or both getting axed..

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
that would be the UT way, NEVER a big hire, low ball money from all the big loud boosters, haslems/anderson, wish they would give them the money and kick em to the curb

And cheating with grades, suspended a year for headbutting a player....small stuff like that.

So then, we must also exclude most of D1 coaches, as well as the entire UNC staff, and the late Woody Hayes. When was Probst's last infraction??

Reactions: igotworms
There are numerous former HS coaches who have had success with P5 schools. Chad Morris was the OC at Clemson one year removed from the HS scene. Malzhan started in HS. So did Odom. And I'm sure there's more.

Not everyone has the connections to land a GA spot or position coach early on and have to take another path.
The point being, none of us, in any profession, starts out at the head of the class. We get experience along the way. Every experienced head coach started low, and elevated through time to important positions. It can , and does, happen. It's a part of natural coaching evolution.

So then, we must also exclude most of D1 coaches, as well as the entire UNC staff, and the late Woody Hayes. When was Probst's last infraction??
Wjen combined with his lack of experience.....

Would be such a risky hire, I'm sure it would cause a few heart attacks - maybe Haslam being one of them? lol

Hmmm, when was Sabans, Dabos, Rileys, Pruitts, Pattersons. petersen, Smart or Mullens last infraction?

For the record, I live near where Rush coaches. He is the Saban of GA high school football. Don't know what that would translate to in SEC, but he plays for the title every year around here.
Agree. Propst is a really good coach. Guy just needs a break. I've always thought he would make a great OC in college. I've always enjoyed watching his HS offenses. He's not afraid to take shots down field.

Reactions: joepuppy
Agree. Propst is a really good coach. Guy just needs a break. I've always thought he would make a great OC in college. I've always enjoyed watching his HS offenses. He's not afraid to take shots down field.
Against high school talent at high school that actively recruit players. 95% of his competition will never play college football at any level.

VN Store

Back