How about Rush Propst?

Yes, let's have a HS (albeit successful) coach have a crack at OC in his first role on a collegiate staff for a first-time HC. What could go wrong?!

If he's good, not much. Some dude named Gus went from HS to SEC coach overnight.

Tell Gus hello.
You mean the guy that arkansas hired for a year before he went to tulsa and got some experience? If I run into him I will.

Glad we are striving to be like Arkansas.

Also, can you provide a link where CGM was described as a piece of trash during his timenas a high school like CRP was? I must haveissed it

Reactions: MustafaRasta
On top of no college experience he....

- was caught getting players grades altered
- suspended for a year for head butting a player
- not only had an affair but basically had a second life and allowed a reporter that brought it up to be hired while propst continued to lie.

Sounds like a great low risk / high reward hire...

Actually its the most Tennessee thing to do at the moment.

All of which he left behind in alabam when he moved on. Left coaching for a bit obviously. Battled throat cancer, which woke him up and changed his ways. Moved on and back into coaching. He's been clean and proper at Colquitt. and probably knows more about championship coaching than half the experienced NCAA coaches.

For the record, I live near where Rush coaches. He is the Saban of GA high school football. Don't know what that would translate to in SEC, but he plays for the title every year around here.

You mean the guy that arkansas hired for a year before he went to tulsa and got some experience? If I run into him I will.

Glad we are striving to be like Arkansas.

Also, can you provide a link where CGM was described as a piece of trash during his timenas a high school like CRP was? I must haveissed it

Don't need a link for that. That wasn't what I replied to.

Also, people do change. Pretty sure he did if he's stuck to it. Heck, if people don't get credit for changing we're all in trouble at some point.

For the record, I live near where Rush coaches. He is the Saban of GA high school football. Don't know what that would translate to in SEC, but he plays for the title every year around here.

I'd say his Colquitt teams could play with quite a few FCS schools.

Reactions: joepuppy
Don't need a link for that. That wasn't what I replied to.

Also, people do change. Pretty sure he did if he's stuck to it. Heck, if people don't get credit for changing we're all in trouble at some point.
Hiring an inexperienced oc is an awful idea....and that is before we to the other stuff..

If we are going this route, someone make the argument that Propst is better than Goerge Quarles?

Hiring an inexperienced oc is an awful idea....and that is before we to the other stuff..

The other stuff is ancient. He left that Rush Probst behind. It's who a person is currently that matters. All of that was his former life at Hoover. Long time ago.

The other stuff is ancient. He left that Rush Probst behind. It's who a person is currently that matters. All of that was his former life at Hoover. Long time ago.
Its relevent when it comes to coaching kids. It always will be. You willing to take the same stance for Schiano if we looked at him for dc?

Reactions: sona
Its relevent when it comes to coaching kids. It always will be. You willing to take the same stance for Schiano if we looked at him for dc?

Haven't advocated for either one. Just saying, overlooking Probst for a life he changed away from years ago is a little extreme to me. And he never had any child sexual abuse accusations. He cheated on his wife. In an extreme manner, but cheating is cheating. You can tap a ho, or have a second family. The sin is the same. Apparently, he cleared all concern with another high school district to get hired again down the road. To my knowledge he has not re-visited his old life and has stayed on the wagon at Colquitt.

Reactions: joepuppy
Yeah I read it, propst would be an awful hire, but would be in line with Tennessee recent history.
I guess my problem I have been a fan for a lot longer than a lot of posters on this board. I see back past the 90s into how things have been since the early 70s. More downs than ups in the timeframe. Several seem to compare everything that happens to one small, but admittedly incredible, segment of UT Football history.

Reactions: volfannbama
Haven't advocated for either one. Just saying, overlooking Probst for a life he changed away from years ago is a little extreme to me. And he never had any child sexual abuse accusations. He cheated on his wife. In an extreme manner, but cheating is cheating. You can tap a ho, or have a second family. The sin is the same. Apparently, he cleared all concern with another high school district to get hired again down the road. To my knowledge he has not re-visited his old life and has stayed on the wagon at Colquitt.
No overlooking what he did...he isnt qualified for the job. Add in that stuff and its a atupid hire. Its not a moral issue its a risk reward.

Reactions: sona
I guess my problem I have been a fan for a lot longer than a lot of posters on this board. I see back past the 90s into how things have been since the early 70s. More downs than ups in the timeframe. Several seem to compare everything that happens to one small, but admittedly incredible, segment of UT Football history.

Exactly. I love UT football. But, I remember back before the 90's as well. No disrespect, but take away the Fulmer years, and UT football has a storied history. As well as greatly intermittent. Many eras of mediocre broken up by great runs of success. I remember when 7-5 and 8-4 was the norm. And trips to the bluebonnet bowl. And there were potent players on some of those late 70's and early 80's rosters with nothing to show for it.

No overlooking what he did...he isnt qualified for the job. Add in that stuff and its a atupid hire. Its not a moral issue its a risk reward.

Bottom line, he's a great coach. He made changes in his life. He's fully capable of moving to major college at position and possibly coordinator level. Does it mean he's a fit for UT. Not necessarily. And not necessarily a no either. But, he's good at what he does. When I look at baggage, is it recent or moderately recurring, or did the person make changes, and stay away from it, and put some distance to it. This is not baggage from a year or two ago. and he owned it and made no excuses. He's made legit changes that have seemed to last. That's my point. And the level of program he is coaching in GA might as well be college level. He's at the top of the food chain in GA HS football.

I agree with that. But I'll say, there is simply no.excuse for UT to not have the ability to field a top tier team except for an incompetent administration that isnt dedicated to.winning football.

Bottom line, he's a great coach. He made changes in his life. He's fully capable of moving to major college at position and possibly coordinator level. Does it mean he's a fit for UT. Not necessarily. And not necessarily a no either. But, he's good at what he does. When I look at baggage, is it recent or moderately recurring, or did the person make changes, and stay away from it, and put some distance to it. This is not baggage from a year or two ago. and he owned it and made no excuses. He's made legit changes that have seemed to last. That's my point. And the level of program he is coaching in GA might as well be college level. He's at the top of the food chain in GA HS football.
He is a great high school coach, he has proven zero in college. I get it though, we call everyone great. Heck people claimed pruitt as great before he ever coached a down as a hc. No way I take a hs coach and put in straight into a spot as big as tennessee oc, escpecially given the situation.

Another case in point. Granted this is not SEC, but is relevant. Brian Bohannon is head coach at Kennesaw State. FCS. Program has only existed for 3 years and he has been their only coach. He was an assistant for Paul Johnson and followed him everywhere he's coached. He went straight to FCS as HC from FBS ACC position coach and immediately built a winning FCS program. He comes from a coaching family, and played WR at GA. His father was my HS coach. Talent is talent. Big jumps can be successful. Depends on who is jumping.

He is a great high school coach, he has proven zero in college. I get it though, we call everyone great. Heck people claimed pruitt as great before he ever coached a down as a hc. No way I take a hs coach and put in straight into a spot as big as tennessee oc, especially given the situation.

I get that. Timing has a lot to do with any hire. He may not be a good choice now, but could be next time. of course that could be said of many coaches. saban constantly churns out coaches to other programs. none have ever beat him. And they all have SEC experience. If a coach is good and knows his stuff, he's good. No matter where he is or what jump he makes. What the difference in promoting a position coach that has never called plays, and a HS coach in the largest bracket in GA who has built winning programs at two different HS nationally recognized powers calling plays. Probably not much from the perspective of knowledge and ability..

VN Store

Back