Hottest / Coldest Football Game You've Attended

49ers @ Browns, New Years Eve 2007. My sister was living in the area at that time and we went up for a Christmas trip. Can't recall the exact temperature, but it was bitterly cold and cloudy with gusts off that damn lake that would cut right through you. I do remember the Browns were actually good that year and won the game.

Best part was the Titans won the Sunday Night game that week and knocked them out of the playoffs.

I haven't attended many overly hot games. Been to several Titans preseason games that were humid and uncomfortable, but they were mostly at night. And I've never been to a UT game earlier than October.

UT/Army 9/22/84. It was well over 90 degrees and not a breeze stirring at kickoff in the early afternoon. We had that crappy artificial turf and I was up high on the east side with not only the sun if my face but the heat and glare bouncing off the surface was almost unbearable. Being the idiot I am I left my sunglasses in the car. Worst of all we played poorly and was lucky to escape with a 24-24 tie.
Me and my good buddy Jack never get too cold at a football game.

Last edited:
Coldest I remember was my Sr. year in high school, playing our last game of our lives against our biggest rival, Martin Westview, which was riding a 56-game winning streak. We had a monster freezing sleet storm the night before the game as a brutal cold front came thru. The ground was covered by frozen sleet about 2" deep. The field looked like it was covered in white diamonds. Coach Lewellen used a lawn mower to cut the ice on the field so we could tell where the yard lines were. The ice cut us like shattered glass when bare skin slid on it. Got my forearms pretty good when Westview QB Danny Walker ducked my attempt to take his head off and I sailed over him onto the frozen tundra. Fortunately, most of us had long johns under the uniforms, so there wasn't much bare skin. A little blood on a football field ain't such a bad thing. Memorable game. We lost, but it was a great memory.

UCLA @ Neyland 1991 hottest

UK @ Cost cutter field (Commonwealth , Kroger ) coldest 1997

I‘m sure That that the the temp has been hottter/colder at the roughly 200+ games that I’ve attended but those two will always stand out

coldest
1974 Liberty Bowl vs Maryland
temp was in middle teens and a night game as well

Tennessee wins 7-3 when backup Randy Wallace hits Larry Seviers in the end zone
with just 2+ minutes in the game after Maryland lost the ball at their own 7 yd. line after a bad punt snap.

Last edited:
Hottest: 15 September 2019 Nissan Stadium Indianapolis vs Tennessee Titans - air temp was over 98 or so, scoreboard said temp in stadium l05.

Sidebar: Younger Son&Heir and I attended Sunday's tilt in Nashville with Houston vs Titans. Houston won. Titans are 0-4 with Yours Truly in attendance. 0-3 with Younger there. For you bettors out there I will let you know the next time I schedule a trip to see the Titans - you'll know which way to wager!

Coldest: 2008 TSSAA AAA Championship at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, MY Knoxville Catholic Fighting Irish vs Memphis Mitchell. It was in the low 20s at kickoff and that was the HIGH with a constant wind. Brrrrrr!! The Arish won 28-18 to secure KCHS's first state title in any sport!

Coldest: January 3, 1993, NFL playoffs, Orchard Park, NY, Buffalo Bills comeback victory over Houston Oilers, overcoming 32-point deficit to win 41-38. Many fans left the stadium when the Bills were down and were running back in later.

Hottest: September 13, 1997, Austin, TX, UCLA defeats Texas 66-3. I remember walking into the concourse to escape the heat and it looked like a refugee camp.

VN Store

Back