!! HOT RECRUITING NEWS (not just commits)!! (no discussion)

From 247:

Kirkland, a former Michigan commitment who reopened his recruitment last month, posted a picture on his Twitter account Thursday night that showed him posing with Jones, Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen and defensive line coach Steve Stripling.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Kirkland — a projected early enrollee who's planning to announce his college choice Jan. 3 at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio — already has taken official visits to Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Tennessee, most recently visiting the Vols the weekend of Nov. 22. He's scheduled to travel to Texas on Friday for an official visit with the Longhorns, and USC currently is scheduled to host him on the last of his five official visits next weekend.

Tennessee recently has emerged as the favorite to land Kirkland on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, with 48 percent of his current predictions going to the Vols, 30 percent going to Michigan and Ole Miss getting 10 percent.

He's ranked the nation's No. 178 overall prospect and No. 4 inside linebacker in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...15-lb-darrin-kirkland-jr-20.html#post10934801

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
Per Hubbs

Quote:
Thursday the main focus for Jones was Darrin Kirkland Jr. as the head man along with Thigpen and Stripling made their in-home visit with the Rivals250 linebacker. Early feedback continues to be very good vibes for the Vols as Kirkland Jr. will be announcing at the Army All American Game in January and right now it's hard to think Tennessee isn't the team to beat.

Kirkland Jr., is still scheduled to take a visit to Texas this weekend but if the Vols survive the visit they should be the favorite heading into the announcement. Hugh Freeze of Ole Miss still has his in-home visit remaining so that's worth remembering, too.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...15-lb-darrin-kirkland-jr-20.html#post10934925

Reactions: 12 people
2015 QB Sheriron Jones decommits from Florida and names Tennessee as his frontrunner.

From Bleacher Report:

"With the coaching change, I don't feel it will be the same at Florida," Jones said, per Ryan Bartow of 247Sports (subscription required). "With a coach that hasn't recruited me at all, I don't think things would be the same."

According to Gator Country's Andrew Spivey, Jones said he "isn't sure if he will consider Florida or not."

Jones, ranked the nation's No. 8 dual-threat quarterback, told Bartow that Tennessee currently leads for his services.

"They are the front-runner right now," Jones said of the Volunteers.

Bartow notes UT coach Mike Bajakian visited the quarterback this week and that Jones plans to officially visit but has not scheduled the date.

From Rivals:

"I'm thinking about going to Tennessee," Jones said. "That's the only one I've really scheduled. Tennessee came down to my house and did an in-home visit and I told them I wanted to get down there in January before National Signing Day so hopefully I can get that going and that's the only one I know of so far.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...3-15-ca-qb-sheriron-jones-9.html#post10941444

Reactions: 16 people
Here are some recent updates on 2015 cornerback Ugo Amadi, all posted within the past 24 hours in his player thread.

From Volquest:

Tennessee coaches have been on the road this week just like last week but the focus has been on Butch Jones' in-home visits with Ugo Amadi and Kyle Phillips.

While both have been rather quiet about their in-homes, Volquest.com has talked to several people close to the situation and the vibe we got as of Wednesday night was that Tennessee had good visits, but at this point it's hard to tell the impact of either one.

Amadi, who hosted Jones, Tommy Thigpen, John Jancek and Willie Martinez, has played things close to the vest recently and isn't tipping his hand at this point and LSU and Ohio State are now trying to get in the picture with a possible official visit to either of these schools this weekend. An official to LSU could make things even more interesting.

From what we've gathered Amadi hasn't settled on a final decision as of yet and we're not sure of the impact of his in-home visits this week with Jones and Hugh Freeze.

From Barton Simmons:

After speaking to a source this evening, I have made a Crystal Ball flip for Ugo Amadi to land at Tennessee. Though he's currently committed to Ole Miss, I'm hearing that this is beginning to turn into an LSU vs. Tennessee battle for his commitment

From Brent Hubbs:

Elsewhere, chatter of Ugo Amadi and the Vols picked up and what we understand as of Thursday night is that while Ole Miss has felt good about where they have been with Amadi recently, the Nashville defensive back is doing some major thinking.

Amadi told us earlier this week that his in-home visit with the Vols was 'great' and with Butch Jones, Tommy Thigpen, John Jancek and Willie Martinez all in the home Tennessee impressed him. Tennessee and Jones continue to let him know he could be an early factor in the return game as well as in the defensive backfield.

While it's possible Amadi takes an official visit to LSU this weekend he told Volquest.com Thursday night that he was not scheduled for one. Regardless, it seems there's some late drama with Amadi as he's scheduled to announce a final decision on Monday.

From Ryan Callahan:

"I'm not in any way trying to contradict what Barton has heard and reported. He's one of the best in the business, and I'm sure what he has reported is good information. I just haven't heard the same things he has, and I haven't been told anything over the past couple of days that would lead me to believe Tennessee has a particularly good chance of landing Amadi.
It's still not out of the question that the Vols could land him, but I wouldn't say they're the team to beat, based on what I've heard."

From "Corner (AKA Buck F.)" (?):

There are a lot of moving parts. A handful of schools trying to steal him. His sr film has gotten around to programs especially his return game film. He will be an elite return man on the next level. LSU, Ohio St, UT and Ole Miss are all there.

I would predict Ugo won't make an announcement on the 15th. He won't know where he is going on the 15th is my guess.

If anybody's curious, I've been posting a lot in this thread recently because this forum really does need a thread for consolidated recruiting news aside from just commitments and frivolous Twitter posts. I encourage others - especially those with the recruiting service subscriptions who are already posting this news in the player threads themselves - to also post here.

Reactions: 32 people
News on 2015 LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. from the past 24 hours:

@TomVH: #ESPN300 LB Darrin Kirkland will announce his commitment Monday at 4pm between Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Ole Miss http://t.co/w0qMcbwmOm

From Brent Hubbs:

It was an interesting Thursday on the recruiting front with Darrin Kirkland Jr. announced he was moving up his decision to Monday instead of waiting for the Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 3.

Despite his good reviews of Texas the week before we continue to believe Tennessee is very much the team to beat in this situation. Steve Stripling was in Indianapolis earlier this week to see Kirkland and like we said, the vibe around Kirkland continues to be the Vols are in a very good position heading into any announcement.

Reactions: 19 people
News on 2015 DE Kyle Phillips posted in his player thread over the last two days.

From Volquest:

The picture isn't much clearer with Phillips as we've been told the in-home visit went well but again, no decision has been made. We have learned that while his mother won't be able to join him at the beginning of the official visit, the hope is she is with him Saturday night and Sunday in Knoxville.

Tennessee's weekend with Phillips should be crucial in the decision making process.

All of this to say it seems both Amadi and Phillips are still listening to the schools involved and have yet to come to a final decision. Tennessee has done well to get back in it with Amadi, but the question remains has it all come too late? Some close to the Ole Miss program remain very confident

From Brent Hubbs:

Tennessee will host four official visitors this weekend and the list looks like three Vol commitments, Alvin Kamara, Chance Hall and Quinten Dormady, along with Kyle Phillips and look for Phillips to be given a lot of attention.

Phillips has been a top target for the last 20 months for Tennessee and this one seems to be coming down to the wire. LSU and Ole Miss continue to both be factors for the four-star defensive end. Phillips' mother is scheduled to join Kyle on his visit on Saturday as Tennessee continues to try and convince both Knoxville is the right spot for him.

In talking to Kyle over the last few weeks, we continue to believe he hasn't settled on a decision and this weekend's visit will be important in the decision making process. We do believe the in-home visit with Tennessee and Phillips went well and it seems there's more hope with him than there was a few weeks ago. But, as we've said, we don't believe a decision has been made.

Reactions: 11 people
Local 2015 DE Dylan Jackson has decommitted from Tennessee.

Here is Jackson's statement to Volquest:

"I want to thank the University of Tennessee, the people there and the fans for the opportunity and support during this recruiting process, which can be stressful but I also know is a blessing. I have decided to go in a different direction with my recruitment and will take the next 2 months to figure it out."

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...5-tn-de-dylan-jackson-ut-24.html#post10973612

Reactions: 4 people
@RyanCallahan247: Official measurements for #Vols commits, targets at #ArmyBowl: (FREE READ) Official measurements for UT commits, targets at Army Bowl

Commits
DT Kahlil McKenzie
Height: 6' 3-3/16"
Weight: 354
Arm length: 33-1/4 in.
Hand size: 10-1/4 in.

LB Darrin Kirkland Jr.
Height: 6' 0-13/16"
Weight: 222.7
Arm length: 34 in.
Hand size: 9-1/4 in.

P Tommy Townsend