Horses

barknoxbrawler

I’m new to horses. Besides riding a few times growing up, I have very little knowledge of them besides what I have read. With that said, I have 80 acres behind my house my neighbors own who lease it to a farmer. They told me to put whatever I want on it and I don’t want to get into it with the leasee. So.........I’ve always wanted a horse!

I’ve got room to build a small barn for shelter and storage for feed and tack on my property but on he fence row of the 80 acres. Pasture has good grass and I’d supplement feed in to keep a good diet in place.

Since I’d be new at this, what is the first thing I’d be looking for in a horse. Temperament and big enough to hold me is key so I’m thinking a 16 hand 1,100 to 1,200 pounder I should be looking for.

What say you VN? I don’t mind the work and the money for upkeep but I will keep the cost of purchasing the animal in a manageable are.

No advice, just wish you well and hope you find a good one. I had horses growing up and they're awesome animals.

Do you have a specific preference in terms of breed or coloration pattern? I have no personal knowledge of them, but this site (EquineNow - Horses for Sale) looks like a good resource in terms of determining an appropriate price range. Search terms also can be selected for virtually any breed and/or state, depending on how far afield you are willing to go in search of your horse.

I like Appys. 😊 As a teen I worked as a stable hand and mucked out stalls, groomed, and kept boarded horses rode down for a local horse farm. I didn't train..just kept them used to someone on their back so when owners showed up they could ride their horse without it bucking up, turning round and heading back to the barn.

I got to ride a lot of breeds. Quarter horse, thoroughbred, arabian... When we got to take them out on the ridge trail my favorite, hands down, was an Appy. He was belligerant with me at first. Even tried to rub me off on the side of a tree. But once I got him to accept me, it was amazing how he turned to the most reliable horse out of those I helped keep used to a saddle. He'd take me anywhere. Got so he'd hear my cherry bomb muffler car coming and run to greet me at the fence. I lost a friend when I had to leave for Nam.

Appaloosa Horse Temperament and Personality — Karina Brez Jewelry

Reactions: DynaLo
A breed truly indigenous to America, Appaloosas were the product of selective breeding by the Nez Perce, Chief Joseph’s people. “It is unknown how many of the Nez Perce’s horses were spotted, but a possible estimate is ten percent. Settlers coming into the area began to refer to these spotted horses as “A Palouse Horse,” as a reference to the Palouse River, which runs through Northern Idaho. Over time, the name evolved into “Palousey,” “Appalousey,” and finally “Appaloosa” (Appaloosa History).

Find a GOOD vet first. One that knows his stuff when it comes to horses. They have needs that you wouldn't expect. Like trimming hooves. My father in law raises them and has for about 30 years. He spends probably 20-30 hours a week tending to them. But he's retired and needs stuff to do. He has a dozen I think. If you don't have a truck and horse trailer, you'll need one. The vet doesn't normally come to you.

They are typically not smart animals and are easily spooked so you have to pay attention around them. Sometimes when you get a new one to put with one you already have, they get all pissy and don't get along. Kind of like kids or cats. Be prepared to build and maintain fencing because they can and will break stuff.

Ok.

Find a good 7-8 year old mare that is kid broke.

Never, I mean never, show any fear or apprehension around it or it will know.

And never ever run the horse back to the barn. Always walk it. (Trot if in a hurry)

Horses are beautiful animals but also can be expensive. A foundered horse is a terrible experience for both the owner and the animal.

We had 15 at one time. We would take in horses that the owners couldn’t afford to take care of. Get them back in good health and find them suitable homes.

There are a lot of other things to be made aware of but we can get to that stuff when the time arises.

Ok.

Find a good 7-8 year old mare that is kid broke.

Never, I mean never, show any fear or apprehension around it or it will know.

And never ever run the horse back to the barn. Always walk it. (Trot if in a hurry)

Horses are beautiful animals but also can be expensive. A foundered horse is a terrible experience for both the owner and the animal.

We had 15 at one time. We would take in horses that the owners couldn’t afford to take care of. Get them back in good health and find them suitable homes.

There are a lot of other things to be made aware of but we can get to that stuff when the time arises.

Thanks obbie.

Useless animals now a days. A huge waste of money and time. Stick with toys you don't have to feed.

Reactions: 1 person
If you're not planning on eating an animal stick with dogs. Horses are nothing but a toy you have to take care of EVERY DAY!

Oh I know all to well. Trust me.

You couldn’t give me a horse right now.

But, if the man wants a horse, let him have a horse.

Oh I know all to well. Trust me.

You couldn’t give me a horse right now.

But, if the man wants a horse, let him have a horse.

Not like I can stop him from getting one, just giving my opinion.

We had a few horses when I was young and they were more of a PITA than the 100 head of cows we were milking.

Not like I can stop him from getting one, just giving my opinion.

We had a few horses when I was young and they were more of a PITA than the 100 head of cows we were milking.

Same here. (Beef cattle though)

I’d rather ride my side by side around drinking beer.

Reactions: 1 person
I would find someone you know that has horses and ask to tag along on the weekend during a normal day. A horse isn’t a set it and forget it animal. They need to be brushed, hooves trimmed and cleaned, wormed, checked for ticks and scrapes, medication applied, etc. They’ll also need feed and supplements so you’ll be doing that as well as going to the co-op or wherever to restock. Could possibly need hay depending on what sort of grass is available. That’s a twice a day routine. All that food leads to poop, cleaning the stall will be part of the deal as well. Saddlery and tack has to be maintained to keep it from drying out or cracking. You need a way to water them, they can put it away especially in summer. All of that and you have yet to throw a saddle on their back. I’m not trying to discourage you from it, but it’s a big commitment to jump into if you’ve only ridden one a few times. And you don’t want to spend the money on half a ton of animal only to realize a few months later that this isn’t for you.

Reactions: Vjcvette
I owned three while my daughter was growing up and could do the day to day........wonderful experience.......our favorite was our TN Walker, no show training but still the smoothest gate and most fun to ride.......also had a quarter for her ride western..........a great vet and farrier will keep you taken care of.....Good Luck!!!!

Im new to horses. Besides riding a few times growing up, I have very little knowledge of them besides what I have read. With that said, I have 80 acres behind my house my neighbors own who lease it to a farmer. They told me to put whatever I want on it and I dont want to get into it with the leasee. So.........Ive always wanted a horse!

Ive got room to build a small barn for shelter and storage for feed and tack on my property but on he fence row of the 80 acres. Pasture has good grass and Id supplement feed in to keep a good diet in place.

Since Id be new at this, what is the first thing Id be looking for in a horse. Temperament and big enough to hold me is key so Im thinking a 16 hand 1,100 to 1,200 pounder I should be looking for.

What say you VN? I dont mind the work and the money for upkeep but I will keep the cost of purchasing the animal in a manageable are.
I hope that you found a good horse, I had 5 different horses through my young years and they are a big commitment and expensive to maintain properly, but if you do get one, you really want one
that is what they call "dead broke" meaning that the horse is already used to everything and maybe you will not have to fall off a lot because they get spooked, and a horse is not in their prime until
they are 12 years old, so anyway good luck.

Attachments

• Mom's True Passion.jpg
    Mom's True Passion.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Mom and Princess at show.jpg
    Mom and Princess at show.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Me & Princess Ford Ord stables, CA.jpg
    Me & Princess Ford Ord stables, CA.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Me & Brandy.jpg
    Me & Brandy.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Me & Blue.jpg
    Me & Blue.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7
  • MeaBrandy2.jpg
    MeaBrandy2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
A quarter horse is a good all around horse, usually has a good temperament and is easy to ride. Since you're new to horses I would advise staying away from paints and arabians. Some paints are fine until something completely random like riding across a bridge causes them to freak out, probably something you wouldn't want to be worrying about in the back of your mind. Arabians incredibly smooth to ride but they're also stubborn and will become obese from over eating if you don't exercise them enough. Mustang's tend to be difficult to deal with too but man are they awesome when done right.

Other things to consider are health tests like the coggins test which are usually required to ride in certain areas. Another thing is the lighter color the hoof the softer it is, so it's less prone to splitting but more likely get a pebble stuck in it and cause discomfort to the horse. My family is obsessed with horses so we always had them growing up if you have any other specific questions I may be able to help. Another suggestions is to watch some videos of Clanton Anderson, and others, to familiarize yourself with body signals the horse gives and how to deal with the bad ones/what comes after. You would be surprised how intune you can be with them just by watching their ears. They also provide good tips for making it easier to saddle the horse like holding the bit in your fist so that it's not just some cold chunk of metal you're trying to put in their mouth.

Reactions: Vjcvette

VN Store

Back