Hoping Chaney took notes from the NC title game

I think most of Bama's success this year was coming from Butch Jones. Sark, Saban, and others did well, but behind the scenes it was Jones.

One could tell that Ohio State didn't pay nearly enough attention to their leadership reps in preparation for the big game.

Reactions: livefaith
Sarkisian laid out a masterful game plan to win the NC for Bama as their OC. Not only that, but play after play after play matchup issues for the OSU defense were so exploited elementary school kids could see them. LBs chasing a Heisman winning WR down in single coverage?!?!?

Sarkisian granted had great talent to work with but I'm guessing he could have taken a good group of junior high kids and done the same thing. The plan and the matchups were so glaringly great.

Our offense has been anemic for years. There's more than one reason why that has been. That said, I'd like to see someone as experienced as Coach Chaney dialup matchup problems and exploit them on the regular and if necessary, tell the HC to butt out on the game plan and calling it to get those matchups in place.

Chaney won't be at UT this coming season!

Any offensive coordinator would look awesome with the talent Alabama has.
I mean OSU aint exactly Vandy. We all know Bama is talented but so was OSU. In fact Bama was more talented last year and they didnt win the title. Harris did some damage but for the most part that was all Smith. They got him the ball in so many different ways. That's all coaching. Its not like he caught 2-3 60 yard bombs, he basically was their offense. Yea he won the Heisman and he is a historic player, but they schemed him open. They created a matchup they wanted on every single pass. That was a coaching clinic.

I mean OSU aint exactly Vandy. We all know Bama is talented but so was OSU. In fact Bama was more talented last year and they didnt win the title. Harris did some damage but for the most part that was all Smith. They got him the ball in so many different ways. That's all coaching. Its not like he caught 2-3 60 yard bombs, he basically was their offense. Yea he won the Heisman and he is a historic player, but they schemed him open. They created a matchup they wanted on every single pass. That was a coaching clinic.
Pre Season OSU was considered more talented with a much more talented QB. Sure looks like Sark/Saban coached to strengths and avoided weaknesses.
I think Chaney and Pruitt attempted to do the same but without much of the former and too much of the later.

JG and Pruitt-enough said.
Gonna say with the addition of Hooker....our offense isn’t going to be Bama great...but he has hella strong arm, he’s a power runner with great speed and vision, and he is a big guy at 6’4” 220lbs...he is like an extra power back in the backfield. His ability to extend plays with our O-Line is going to be HUGE. We should start to see some solid productivity finally with defenses always having to worry about him taking off.

Gonna say with the addition of Hooker....our offense isn’t going to be Bama great...but he has hella strong arm, he’s a power runner with great speed and vision, and he is a big guy at 6’4” 220lbs...he is like an extra power back in the backfield. His ability to extend plays with our O-Line is going to be HUGE. We should start to see some solid productivity finally with defenses always having to worry about him taking off.
And hopefully add a few more power backs behind him, then it boils down to the O-line and we can run and pass and the whole gameplan opens up. Bama didn't even have a super fast qb that proves my point it's more important to have one that can feel pressure and at least have speed to turn up field and keep them honest. Especially if you have a very good O-line. But Bama has the big back in the backfield and he blocks well in pass protection. In short they got it all and they can do it all, it's hard to defend against everything. In fact that Robinson guy runs almost as hard as Harris. And I never even mentioned the great receivers, Smith is something else fast and a great route runner.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
Sarkisian laid out a masterful game plan to win the NC for Bama as their OC. Not only that, but play after play after play matchup issues for the OSU defense were so exploited elementary school kids could see them. LBs chasing a Heisman winning WR down in single coverage?!?!?

Sarkisian granted had great talent to work with but I'm guessing he could have taken a good group of junior high kids and done the same thing. The plan and the matchups were so glaringly great.

Our offense has been anemic for years. There's more than one reason why that has been. That said, I'd like to see someone as experienced as Coach Chaney dialup matchup problems and exploit them on the regular and if necessary, tell the HC to butt out on the game plan and calling it to get those matchups in place.

No matter who is the head coach or who is our OC I really believe we will have the most talented and athletic offensive skill players that we have had in years. Closer to Bama? I can hope. Still a bit young and inexperienced in some places but the best mix of ball player/athlete at several positions.

At QB HB is more ball player than athlete, but if he can learn to get rid of the ball and get down on his runs he sure seemed to have the best ability go through the progressions that we have had in a while, and he seemed to be trusted to use the whole field, especially over the middle. Something JG was not given the greenlight to do. Hooker, I don't have a clue but should help in the development of Salter in the more dual threat QB play. So regardless I like this room better than all the guys departing. Not sure if or what Mauer's role could be.

RB really does excite me for several reasons. Will miss Chandler, but Gray, Small, and adding the ultra speedy Wright to that side of the room sounds really good. The bigger power back role will be headed up a hopefully healthy Whitehead who has speed and over the top athleticism, being joined by newcomers Evans, the top Juco guy, and Brown with all kinds of HS honors, in the 225 lb size side of the room. In addition some reps may be taken by Beckwith in a role that puts him back there as a RB, maybe some wildcat, and also flanking out in an H-back, TE and WR role. I have previously put it out there that he is the player in last years class I am most excited about as far as impact potential. Does not insure stardom but I am optimistic. These guys all have something more than accolades to offer physically, size, speed or combination.

WR has potential too, Hyatt showed a lot of promise, Holiday got some reps and is for sure in the shiftier than most athletic mold, Callaway arrived with accolades and Wideman with jumping ability combined with speed. All these guys will be freshmen with a year under their belt. Leadership should come from Jones with his years and versatility, The bigger bodied jump ball guys will include Tillman, Keyton, and not sure if Palmer returns. Anyway, all of these guys have differental potential. Not Heisman guys, but closer to the kind of players we saw from Bama last night.

TE, not so much, Fant and Warren lead the room , could Bumpas come back and help, and newcomers Campbell and Taylor if he shows up should help, hate that Bell got hurt... he was my biggest hope at this position.

It seems that Pruitt has emphasized athleticism on the trial, sometimes over HS production and there is always risk they don't become ball players, but we have some guys to throw out there that excite me. At least I can dream.

OL...... I just don't have a clue.... anybody got any good news out there? Hope? Skill can only overcome so much.

Last edited:
And hopefully add a few more power backs behind him, then it boils down to the O-line and we can run and pass and the whole gameplan opens up. Bama didn't even have a super fast qb that proves my point it's more important to have one that can feel pressure and at least have speed to turn up field and keep them honest. Especially if you have a very good O-line. But Bama has the big back in the backfield and he blocks well in pass protection. In short they got it all and they can do it all, it's hard to defend against everything. In fact that Robinson guy runs almost as hard as Harris. And I never even mentioned the great receivers, Smith is something else fast and a great route runner.
...and to think Waddle was actually the most recognized Alabama receiver early in the season.

No matter who is the head coach or who is our OC I really believe we will have the most talented and athletic offensive skill players that we have had in years. Closer to Bama? I can hope. Still a bit young and inexperienced in some places but the best mix of ball player/athlete at several positions.

At QB HB is more ball player than athlete, but if he can learn to get rid of the ball and get down on his runs he sure seemed to have the best ability go through the progressions that we have had in a while, and he seemed to be trusted to use the whole field, especially over the middle. Something JG was not given the greenlight to do. Hooker, I don't have a clue but should help in the development of Salter in the more dual threat QB play. So regardless I like this room better than all the guys departing. Not sure if or what Mauer's role could be.

RB really does excite me for several reasons. Will miss Chandler, but Gray, Small, and adding the ultra speedy Wright to that side of the room sounds really good. The bigger power back role will be headed up a hopefully healthy Whitehead who has speed and over the top athleticism, being joined by newcomers Evans, the top Juco guy, and Brown with all kinds of HS honors, in the 225 lb size side of the room. In addition some reps may be taken by Beckwith in a role that puts him back there as a RB, maybe some wildcat, and also flanking out in an H-back, TE and WR role. I have previously put it out there that he is the player in last years class I am most excited about as far as impact potential. Does not insure stardom but I am optimistic. These guys all have something more than accolades to offer physically, size, speed or combination.

WR has potential too, Hyatt showed a lot of promise, Holiday got some reps and is for sure in the shiftier than most athletic mold, Callaway arrived with accolades and Wideman with jumping ability combined with speed. All these guys will be freshmen with a year under their belt. Leadership should come from Jones with his years and versatility, The bigger bodied jump ball guys will include Tillman, Keyton, and not sure if Palmer returns. Anyway, all of these guys have differental potential. Not Heisman guys, but closer to the kind of players we saw from Bama last night.

TE, not so much, Fant and Warren lead the room , could Bumpas come back and help, and newcomers Campbell and Taylor if he shows up should help, hate that Bell got hurt... he was my biggest hope at this position.

It seems that Pruitt has emphasized athleticism on the trial, sometimes over HS production and there is always risk they don't become ball players, but we have some guys to throw out there that excite me. At least I can dream.

OL...... I just don't have a clue.... anybody got any good news out there? Hope? Skill can only overcome so much.
I like your assessment, Gilbert, Lowe and Pope are still in the portal to help with the TE position.

I like your assessment, Gilbert, Lowe and Pope are still in the portal to help with the TE position.

I don;t think they are still on the roster so I assumed...... I remember them more as production rather than raw athleticism guys. But my memory is not what it used to be.

Shoot Tennessee scored 18 points per game over their last 8 games.

With a strong defensive minded coach.......what more do you want?? 20 points per game?

Lest be realistic.

He was taking notes. Not sure if it was on the offense, or the fact that McDonalds 2 for $3 deal is back.

One could tell that Ohio State didn't pay nearly enough attention to their leadership reps in preparation for the big game.

1st thing I thought when Bama added yet another brick to go up 3 scores!

Reactions: tbh
Pre Season OSU was considered more talented with a much more talented QB. Sure looks like Sark/Saban coached to strengths and avoided weaknesses.
I think Chaney and Pruitt attempted to do the same but without much of the former and too much of the later.
We saw the exact same things. If Smith doesnt play im not sure Bama wins that game. U cant deny that kid's talent but Sark was on another level calling plays. It was kinda like when Klay Thompson dropped 37 in a quater, he couldnt miss.

That game planning requires an offensive line that can hold up to a four man pass rush

yep...Jones barely had his hair mussed, with the exception of a few plays

If a D has to blitz to create pressure, that means the secondary is vulnerable

It would not help Chaney to take notes. He is so bull-headed, he is going to run the same plays over and over, and he is determined to have the most predictable and the most dull offense in the league. He could have ruined Peyton Manning (if Peyton did not change the plays he sent in).

VN Store

Back