Hope the new coach hires who he wants

backdoorcutvol

I keep reading how he has to keep Tee and Graham or even Steele or Gardner, if you’re going to give him the keys to the Cadillac then let him drive it. I don’t think any coach would want to come here and be forced to keep 4-5 assistants from the previous staff, an on another note the two coaches that took a pay cut did it because daddy Fulmer asked them to.

I think the new coach will have a lot of leeway with the offense hires. Defense we will probably keep Steele and Garner if we can get him. I think Ansley is looking around for another job but he could stay too.

As far as offense goes: I don't know why you wouldn't keep Graham.

Not sure about how good Tee is and even if he is a better QB coach or a better WR coach.

Also not sold on Chaney but I know what he did with Bray. Offense production has been terrible, regardless of QB.

Weinke is gone in a few days. You won't see any contract extensions for him.

I hope he jumps he jumps off a cliff, before making another bad hire that will set the team back another decade.

Not that it matters if they don't want to retain him but Weinke was given a extension and raise last March set to expire Jan 31st 2022. His salary went from $355,000 to $450,000 under that new contract.

It’s all about Steele. Does an offense minded coach want to inherit a defensive staff...
I don’t know...

Seems a bit Fulmer McBeth-ish in the making.
this guy already tried to chop one guy off at the knees...

I think Steele and the rest of the gang are probably gone,
with just a couple holdovers
for the team, maybe Tee?

I keep reading how he has to keep Tee and Graham or even Steele or Gardner, if you’re going to give him the keys to the Cadillac then let him drive it. I don’t think any coach would want to come here and be forced to keep 4-5 assistants from the previous staff, an on another note the two coaches that took a pay cut did it because daddy Fulmer asked them to.

The AD needs to hire someone that he is completely comfortable with. That is number one. Everything - and every opinion - else is secondary.

I don't have a problem with discussing the possibility of some of our assistants staying, but I think our AD needs to make the final decision, and I don't think keeping any particular assistant should be a deal breaker, if he has the coach he wants.

Edit: I remember that there were similar issues when Pearl was hired. He ultimately stuck with the staff he wanted, and it worked out great. So, you have to trust the AD, and the AD would hopefully trust his coach to make those decisions.

It’s all about Steele. Does an offense minded coach want to inherit a defensive staff...
I don’t know...

Seems a bit Fulmer McBeth-ish in the making.
this guy already tried to chop one guy off at the knees...

I think Steele and the rest of the gang are probably gone,
with just a couple holdovers
for the team, maybe Tee?
Not sure why Steele got paid what he did. But he can just be an overpriced Charlie Strong, Butch Jones, or Sarkisian (before Kiffin left for FAU)...when you have that much experience with X & O talent on your staff like Saban does it is not a bad thing. Overpriced analyst with a ton of football defensive experience and wealth...he doesn’t have to be an actual position coach.

say what you want but i sure would have liked to see Tennessee's defense swarm on the field like Auburn"s did the last few years

New head coach simply MUST have total control of his staff picks. That's the only way total success or total failure can be realized. I did it my way and it was the right way or the wrong way. I think about Jerry Jones wandering around on the Cowboys sideline. That had to be miserable for a coach. Nothing worse than doggone micro-management.

Nope.

As AD, the new HC would have my trust (but verify) to manage the program. Manage. Not run. As UTs AD, its the University's program, and MY responsibility as its representative. I'm all for working with the HC (his success is proportional to mine) and making sure he's comfortable with the cumulative staff, but I'm going to have a say. This isn't a place where you get to hire your lunch buddies and tell everyone its the BSA. This will be done together.

Manage, not run. No keys....and no carte blanche......to do, whatever. Not to your liking? Don't interview. The University owns/runs the program.....it'll be here long after we're gone. New paradigm. And I, as AD set the vision.....welcome your input. Its not personal, its business.

VN Store

Back