Hooker's INT vs. JG's

JG had more touchdowns to the other team than his own receivers like 5 games in last year. Not even a comparison

When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?
What???

VolDaddy, I will say this as nicely as I can so as to change the tone. I'm not stuck on JG. I don't want him back, nor even to talk about him in the present. I'm a huge HH fan. My ONLY point of starting this thread was to observe, in a completely neutral way, the two different responses that we had to one QB and now to the other ... and to ask the guys on this board to comment as to why they think that is. No advocacy for one QB or another. Just "Let's observe Reaction A vs. Reaction B, and discuss why they differ." But for some reason, a large number of people on this thread started hurling insults or assuming things about my insidious intent. Nope. I'm just a guy who said, "Hey, here's a thing, let's discuss it." Those claws were unneeded by the VN brethren. And I will admit, I clawed back.
You can't compare the sample sizes. JG had a body of work that told you he wasn't the guy, but they still ran him out there to do the exact same things that he'd done previously that told you he wasn't the guy....Hooker has literally improved with every snap of game action.

You can't compare the sample sizes. JG had a body of work that told you he wasn't the guy, but they still ran him out there to do the exact same things that he'd done previously that told you he wasn't the guy....Hooker has literally improved with every snap of game action.

Good point

That is a gross exaggeration. In his 4 years at UT he threw 2, 3, 8 and 4 ints respectively. That's 17 total in 4 years he played way more than the 6-9 games it would take for that to average 2-3 per.he didn't even average 1 int per game.the guy was not good but he was not as bad as people like to accuse him of. The most ints he threw in a season was 8....

All I am saying is if you're gonna make a point use actual facts instead of hyperbole. I personally think the kid did the best job he could with the tools he had and the situation he was in. I wish we'd had a better QB but he was the best we had in the time he was here. That's a fact backed up by numbers. Don't blame the guy for not being good blame the coaches for not being able to replace him with someone better in 4 years..

As far as hooker is concerned he is able to take advantage of negavol exhaustion. Guys are so tired of the last 7 years hating Dobbs and JG they don't have much left in the tank thankfully. I'm enjoying it. Hopefully it gives this team time to grow and get the program moving forward again.
thanks for the stats Karen. Now go change your panties since you've got em such a wad. Here's a couple more stats for you, 39 to 20 TD's to Int's (135 QB rating) for JG vs 39 to 9 TD's to Int's (166 QB rating) for HH. The OP was comparing the two qbs because hooker threw a pic against bama that may or may not have been Hooker's fault. Bottom line JB might have been a good kid, but he wasn't a power 5 QB.

When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?
Let me simplify my response - to what seems a very strange and unusual question-
by the tenor of your question you imply some sinister woke reasoning for the anguish when JG played quarterback here - you obviously don’t watch games or didn’t play football in your youth.
Here is your answer.
Hooker has graded out and his qb passing and playing efficiently puts him in the top 10 in the country. JG was among the bottom 10 in the country. So great quality qb play vs. awful horrible qb play. Vol fans are independent of these universal measurements for qb play but they have two eyes and an understanding of football and so …… They didn’t dislike jg - they disliked jg’s play and the coaches that kept starting him.

JG
2017: 4 TD, 2 INT, QBR 32.4
2018: 12 TD, 3 INT, QBR 68.0
2019: 16 TD, 8 INT, QBR 66.8
2020: 6 TD, 4 INT, QBR 54.3
Total: 38 TD, 17 INT (2.2 TDS per INT)

HH
2021: 17 TD, 2 INT (8.5 TDs per INT), QBR 77.8

HH already has more TD passes in one season than JG had in any one season and he has 4-5 more games to go. He also did not start 2 of those games.
Feel free to add 4 more interceptions to jg’s totals for the one 1/2 games he played at Wa State.

by the tenor of your question you imply some sinister woke reasoning for the anguish when JG played quarterback here - you obviously don’t watch games or didn’t play football in your youth.

Where the heck is this coming from? I am the least woke person in the world. I was once fired from my job for fighting wokeness, and I am an opponent of it in every way. I grew up as a huge Cowboys fan in the era of Landry, Staubach, and Dorsett. I played HS football in the late 80s. There is WAAAAY too much hostility and hate on this board, reading in all kinds of crazy nuances. Tone down the suspicions, dude. All I did was propose a point for discussion, to which I knew the basic answer, but thought it would be interesting to let the guys express it.

Is the OP trolling or is he just completely football ignorant?

Neither, friends. We all know the basic issues, and I cite them in the OP. Just wanted to give everyone a chance to lay it out, or offer counterpoints, or whatever. You guys need to take your heat seeking missiles and direct them at Bammers or whatever, not at fellow Vols who just want to talk. Don't be so quick to judge, k?

thanks for the stats Karen. Now go change your panties since you've got em such a wad. Here's a couple more stats for you, 39 to 20 TD's to Int's (135 QB rating) for JG vs 39 to 9 TD's to Int's (166 QB rating) for HH. The OP was comparing the two qbs because hooker threw a pic against bama that may or may not have been Hooker's fault. Bottom line JB might have been a good kid, but he wasn't a power 5 QB.
I am not knocking hooker first off. The guy is fine but..JG threw 17 ints at UT and 38 TD's... It was said he threw 2-3 a game that would mean he played what 6-9 games in his career here... He did not he played 29.. that's less than 1 int per game.just saying if you're gonna state facts state facts.

This far HH has come across as a better overall QB than JG as has even Milton. Let's stick to facts instead of hyperbole and lame insults. Another thing is JG is a power 5 QB..still is. He is not a good one but he is one. No one beat him out in the 4 years he was here as much as coaches tried he kept being the best choice out of many bad ones. Don't hate the kid hate the regime that couldn't replace him.

I think the biggest difference is that HH hasn’t even been on campus for a full year and he’s already better at leading an offense than JG was in year 3 as the starter.

Reactions: volinthenorth

Hooker actually pursued on the play, where Guarantano let up within 2 yards of the ball. Any other dumb questions?

Hooker actually pursued on the play, where Guarantano let up within 2 yards of the ball. Any other dumb questions?

I don't think it's a dumb question. I mean, you gave a good answer that I haven't seen anyone else mention. So the question was good because it elicited a piece of information that no one else had thought of. Why do you have to end your response with an insult? Just come on VN and give your thoughts.

I don't think it's a dumb question. I mean, you gave a good answer that I haven't seen anyone else mention. So the question was good because it elicited a piece of information that no one else had thought of. Why do you have to end your response with an insult? Just come on VN and give your thoughts.

Well it should have been obvious had you been watching Guarantano giving up on pursuit. I can't help it if alot of you singing rocky top woo all day long, and have memory issues.

As someone who stuck up for JG, it's simply because Hooker has made more plays to where it's forgivable because he'll probably get better from it.

Reactions: volinthenorth
JG was zeroing in on a receiver, throwing into double and triple coverage....making the wrong reads and generally giving the other team a 12th player. Given the INT ratio difference between him and Hooker, and what was pretty clearly a miscommunication issue in the Bama game and there is part of your answer. JG being second string, at best, for a PAC12 school pretty much seals the deal. He's had a game ending pick for them as well.

Well there is that one obvious thing.
With JG you could count on at least once a game it seemed like, a getting hit from blind side fumble. It aggravated me so bad that he could not feel pressure coming. At times it felt like if JG had a successful shot gun snap the play was almost a success

With JG you could count on at least once a game it seemed like, a getting hit from blind side fumble. It aggravated me so bad that he could not feel pressure coming. At times it felt like if JG had a successful shot gun snap the play was almost a success

I was just talking about them both being 6ft 4”

VN Store

Back