Hooker draft summary

Volprofch05

Educating and celebrating the Vols
2023 NFL Draft Watch: Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell and 6 other senior QBs with NFL hopes

Each draft class is different, but on average, there are eight senior quarterbacks selected each year.

Kentucky’s Will Levis will be the first senior drafted at his position and, most likely, the only senior quarterback who will hear his name called in the first round. Who will be the second senior quarterback drafted? And how early?

Each draft class is different, but on average, there are eight senior quarterbacks selected each year.

Kentucky’s Will Levis will be the first senior drafted at his position and, most likely, the only senior quarterback who will hear his name called in the first round. Who will be the second senior quarterback drafted? And how early?

It’s still September and very early in the process, so this list is fluid. But here is my early guess of the eight seniors — for the NFL’s purposes, anyone with four-plus years of college experience — who will be drafted after Levis at the quarterback position:

(The heights and weights with a “v” are verified and official measurements by NFL scouts. Height is represented by four numbers. The first number is feet, the next two numbers are inches, and the fourth number is eighths of an inch. Example: 6033 = 6 feet, 3 and 3/8 inches.)

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee (6033v, 221v)

While Hooker was at Virginia Tech, he didn’t look anything like an NFL prospect. Even after he transferred to Tennessee, it took time before he took over as the starter. The Vols’ offense, though, started to click once he was on the field, and NFL scouts have taken notice. He has been an ideal fit in Josh Heupel’s up-tempo offense, which utilizes plenty of movement (play-action, bootlegs, rollouts, etc.).

In 15 starts at Tennessee, Hooker has been responsible for 45 total touchdowns and only two interceptions. He is an instinctive player as both an athlete and a passer, and he has the smooth release to get the ball out on time.

Hooker’s age — he’ll turn 25 in January — will be an issue for some NFL teams. His internal clock is still developing and he must improve his ball security; he has had 17 fumbles since the start of last season, which isn’t a hand-size issue because his 10 1/2-inch mitts likely will be the biggest in this year’s QB class. However, Hooker has the athletic traits, toughness and mid-range accuracy that will translate to the pro game.

Unfortunately, Hooker (and any QB moving forward) will have the dreaded "system QB" tied to their names because of the system JH implements. Super wide splits and super up-tempo (which the NFL does neither) will be viewed as the reason for passing production. We REALLY need to get some players drafted this year for recruiting to be where we want it to be in the future. The high 4-5 star kids are thinking "NFL" first and foremost.

Unfortunately, Hooker (and any QB moving forward) will have the dreaded "system QB" tied to their names because of the system JH implements. Super wide splits and super up-tempo (which the NFL does neither) will be viewed as the reason for passing production. We REALLY need to get some players drafted this year for recruiting to be where we want it to be in the future. The high 4-5 star kids are thinking "NFL" first and foremost.
Winning on the field will help with both high school and transfer prospects.

Reactions: jeff1vol
One thing Hooker has that every other Senior QB in this draft is that he has demonstrative evidence that he can adapt and learn any offensive scheme.
Now does that automatically make him a first rounder, likely not.
Probably doesn't even get him in a spot where he can be QB1 on a team.
What it does do is get him onto a roster though where we will have an opportunity.

Reactions: LittleVol
I think NFL teams will see that. I think Tennessee's offense is getting more complex this year, and I bet more will continue to get added as the year goes on. Also Hooker will have more tape running slower pace drives this year.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Screw Levis, Hooker will surprise people come draft time. I think more spread offense is played in the NFL than you realize. One other thing. I'm no guru in any way, but I see that the Captain is able to thread passes to tightly covered receivers. We'll see more of this as SEC games unfold. His near pinpoint accuracy will be a deciding factor.

If he plays out this seasons 8+ games like he has the previous 8 games … he will be a 1st or 2nd round pick. He has talent - and I don’t see our offense getting labeled as a system in year 2 … maybe after year 3 or 4. Who would you rather have 1st rounder Kenny Pickett or Hooker ???

VN Store

Back