Homeschooling

You make a good point, but are you going to put your child through this school while it's being fixed? That could take years, long after your child has passed through. Plus you can get involved as you want, but it is almost impossible to get an incompetent teacher fired. Like I said, my kid would be fine if she went to a public school because she has a firm foundation at home. Unfortunately not all kids can say this.

Well first I make sure I move to an area where the schools are decent to begin with. I stay involved to make sure they don't digress and only improve.

I guarantee you if the teacher is truly incompetent and I mean truly, then you can easily have them removed.

Yes I could homeschool my daughter. I work from home and my wife works about 20-25 hours a week. But I want to make sure she gets the interaction and learns social development she otherwise cannot learn staying at home. And I know your repsonse would be to make sure she is in church and other social activities. Well she is subject to just as much 'garbage' in those environments as she would be in school. I just choose to make sure she gets the full range of what children need to develop. This includes interacting with kids from various backgrounds as well.

Well first I make sure I move to an area where the schools are decent to begin with. I stay involved to make sure they don't digress and only improve.

I guarantee you if the teacher is truly incompetent and I mean truly, then you can easily have them removed.

Yes I could homeschool my daughter. I work from home and my wife works about 20-25 hours a week. But I want to make sure she gets the interaction and learns social development she otherwise cannot learn staying at home. And I know your repsonse would be to make sure she is in church and other social activities. Well she is subject to just as much 'garbage' in those environments as she would be in school. I just choose to make sure she gets the full range of what children need to develop. This includes interacting with kids from various backgrounds as well.

I am not worried about the garbage from the environments, just don't think public schools are very good.

Also, I think socializing can be done just fine without the public school system. No different than educating your child, if you want it done, you can make it happen.

And, I don't think it is very easy to get teachers fired if they are incompetent. My wife was a public school teacher before becoming a stay at home mom, she has more war stories than I do, but her opinion is the same as mine on how hard they are to fire. The unions do their job of protecting the teachers, they could care less if the kids are getting educated, but they make sure their members stay employed. Have a good weekend, I am probably done on here until after the game. Go vols.

Well, before I had kids I thought homeschooling was crazy. Now with everything happening in schools today I almost wish I could. There is no way I had the patience though. LOL :crazy: Here in NC the schools are great compared to where I moved from. I lived in La in bought a house in a "good school district" before I had kids. Before they got big enough to go the schools took a bad turn and I sent them to a private Baptist school. I loved it!! If I was still there that is where they would be. Here in NC the schools are really good so I dont mind putting them in public school. (as long as they stay that way)

Also, most people that homeschool their kids do alot of socializing outside of the home. They are not all sheltered like you think.

Compare how many shootings there are in schools with what happens in every area you travel in. Do that with all of the other negative statistics you fear of public schools. What is to stop a kid from doing the same in a private school? Or anyone doing something at the grocery store? Etc.

Compare how many shootings there are in schools with what happens in every area you travel in. Do that with all of the other negative statistics you fear of public schools. What is to stop a kid from doing the same in a private school? Or anyone doing something at the grocery store? Etc.
Personally, I am not stating that Private schools are any safer than public when it comes to someone wanting to kill people. That Amish school was definitely 'private.' Also, a fellow student at my elementary school (K-8) brought a .22 to school in 1991. The gun jammed when he tried to squeeze the round off, and the teacher then ripped the gun out of his hands. That was at a Catholic school and a good 8 years before Columbine.

1. The argument about socializtion is just a word used by the teachers unions to distract people from the the issue that public schools are not teaching the 3 Rs. Where we live in FL many (less than 60%) of the high school grads can not read or do math at a 10th grade level.
2. Most states have requirements that homeschooling parents must meet. In Florida we have to keep a portfolio of our children's work that is evaluated by a certified teacher each year. The evaluation is turned into the school board. When we lived in TN parents were either registered with their local school board and subject to a evaluation with 24hrs notice (not that this happened to me) or register with an "umbrella" school that tracked the children and approved curriculum. Children also had to take state administered test every few years. (I do not know if they still do this.)
3. Homeschooling allows me to teach the values that my husband and I want our children to have when they go into adulthood.
4. Many of the great leaders in history have been homeschooled. (GENERALS: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Douglas MacArthur, George Patton PRESIDENTS: John Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, James Madison, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, John Tyler, George Washington, Woodrow Wilson OTHERS: Sandra Day O'Conner, Sally Ride, Andrew Carnegie) You can search on the internet to find more famous homeschoolers.

I have many more reasons for homeschooling, but I have to start teaching now.

I'm not a teachers union and neither are a few others on here who use the term socialization.

Let me ask you this. Who is responsible for schools not holding up to standards and promoting outside agendas? You are. It's great to complain but to take your ball and go home rather than protect your money and investment is a whole other issue.

A fellow contractor of my dad's complained about the quality of the local labor pool with people who didn't know basic math or other basic concepts and then went on a rant about an article in the local paper about the situation with the schools. Perhaps if this guy actually cared about where his tax money was going in the schools and being involved in that process, he'd have a better labor pool to pull from.

You see this whole issue is not just a matter for parents. It affects a lot more than just a household with children.

I noticed quite a few of the names you mentioned in your list were people who had the money to hire tutors to instruct their children. You can equate that to a private school learning. Do a majority of people in today's society have the means to hire such top notch talent?

I am being responsible for holding up the standards and the agenda of my family. When you do not agree with, for example, the return policy of a store you will not shop there. Recently there was a 30 yr old man attending high school, he lied about his age and purchased false documents saying he was 18. The school official, who knew about this, was only punished by not being given a raise this year. The school board did not hand out any other punishment. The school board ignored the parents who wanted this man gone. A band teacher was sentenced for having sex with a 12 yr old. Would you want this taking place in your child's school district? What standards were this official and teacher held to? These are not my standards so I do not want to expose my children to them.

As to your question about taking my ball and going home and not protecting my investment: If I follow you, we also "invest" in the welfare system and do not receive anything from it. So should I go out and get food stamps because I put money into the system? We invest in Social Security and may not ever receive a return. So to protect ourselves we are making other arrangement for our future. We make choices everyday that may not make sense, but we have to stand by them and when it comes to family we have to do what we think is best.

For change to even begin to be a reality more US citizens need to realize where our future is heading. The students in the US are falling behind quickly because we have become too comfortable with being average and allowing children to graduate without the skills they need to be sucessful in college and workforce. We can choose what kind of vehicle to buy so why can I not choose the type of education I feel is best? (This is my opinion and I have lots.) To see a change in our public school system we need to look at what is happening in Europe. In many eastern European countries the parents are given a voucher to choose the school they feel is best. If a school does not perform it will shut down in a year and the parents move their children to a school that performs. In the US we are not given the choice to decide on a school that will work for our children.

When the pilgrims came to the US they did not have public schools so children were taught by their parents, some may have hired a tutor. The public school system as we know it did not begin until around the 1920s. Parents are hiring tutors (Sylvan Learning centers) for their children in public school for SAT& ACT exams, for state administered tests, a child having problems in an area because the public school system is not providing the necessary teaching to pass the test. This is in addition to the dollars they spend for school supplies.

I can give my children the equivalent of a private school education (at a lower cost) because many of the private schools are putting their curriculum out there for homeschooler to purchase and they also provide other services that will help a parent at a reasonable cost. For example: Calvert School (www.calvertschool.org), in the early 1900s offering their material because a headmaster did not think it was right that only the rich could afford a private school education. I currently use a different curriculum. If we have problems in an area like division we can focus on that until it is learned, in PS the teacher moves on because they have to cover a certain amount of material before a test that is adminstered in the spring. Each year I look at different curriculms to see if there is one that fits the learning style of my children and usually end up going back to the one I currently use. In public school they experiment with our children instead of following what has work well in the past. Look at the return to teaching kids to read by using phonics because teaching sight reading did not work. Teachers are having to learn how to teach phonics. This is crazy.

Are there people out there who should not homeschool? Yes, just as there are teachers in PS that should not be there. (My opinion again) I think that, at a minimum, to homeschool the elementry grades (K -5th or 6th) a high school diploma should be required. To teach middle school some college should be required and to teach high school a college degree should be required. This goes against what many homeschoolers believe. Also, PS teachers should be held to standards that require their students are showing progress each year or be subject to probation or dismissal. I have to show that my children are progressing each year and if they are not I have to place them in a public or private school.

We, US citizens, need to all start standing up and telling the leaders that we do not like their choices and one way to do that is by voting for the person who best represents your values and if they fail get rid of them. I have many more ideas and opinions about homeschooling and education in general, but you need to decide what is best for you and your family and using that as a starting point for change.

I can give my children the equivalent of a private school education (at a lower cost) because many of the private schools are putting their curriculum out there for homeschooler to purchase and they also provide other services that will help a parent at a reasonable cost. For example: Calvert School (www.calvertschool.org), in the early 1900s offering their material because a headmaster did not think it was right that only the rich could afford a private school education. I currently use a different curriculum. If we have problems in an area like division we can focus on that until it is learned, in PS the teacher moves on because they have to cover a certain amount of material before a test that is adminstered in the spring. Each year I look at different curriculms to see if there is one that fits the learning style of my children and usually end up going back to the one I currently use. In public school they experiment with our children instead of following what has work well in the past. Look at the return to teaching kids to read by using phonics because teaching sight reading did not work. Teachers are having to learn how to teach phonics. This is crazy.

Are there people out there who should not homeschool? Yes, just as there are teachers in PS that should not be there. (My opinion again) I think that, at a minimum, to homeschool the elementry grades (K -5th or 6th) a high school diploma should be required. To teach middle school some college should be required and to teach high school a college degree should be required. This goes against what many homeschoolers believe. Also, PS teachers should be held to standards that require their students are showing progress each year or be subject to probation or dismissal. I have to show that my children are progressing each year and if they are not I have to place them in a public or private school.
First, anyone who can afford to stay home, in order to homeschool their children, can afford to send their children to private schools. If you work 50 hours per week you can easily earn $25,000/year in this country. That is enough money to cover private high school tuition for 3 children, let alone elementary school.

Second, do you honestly believe that someone who only holds a high school diploma should be teaching their children the fundamentals necessary for higher education? A high school graduate might be able to regurgitate material from a teaching manual, but they are not going to be able to actually tailor that to anyone! If the kid does not comprehend what they are learning, that high school graduate is not going to find a way to make it more easily comprehended.

Next, what exactly is the progress that must be made?

Finally, a lot of people on here argue that their kids are getting the social aspect of school through being involved in sports, choir, church, etc. Guess what, kids that go to school are just as involved, if not more. So, the kids that go to school with their peers are inundated in an environment with their peers for 60 or more hours per week! You get your children involved in church and clubs for what, 10-15 hours per week? That is a 4:1 ratio!!!

those of you making the point about socialization have yet to show that homeschooling actually hurts a child's social skills.

as far as the "4:1" ratio is concerned, there's quantity and then there's quality.

my hat goes off to parents who decide to home school their kids. I think it should be their right to do so as well.

those of you making the point about socialization have yet to show that homeschooling actually hurts a child's social skills.

as far as the "4:1" ratio is concerned, there's quantity and then there's quality.

my hat goes off to parents who decide to home school their kids. I think it should be their right to do so as well.
Just as those who homeschool have yet to show that their children are academically better off outside of any school system.

Well... I haven't read a part of this thread.

But I will say, every single home schooled kid I've ever met is probably the most socially awkward kid I've ever met.

Well... I haven't read a part of this thread.

But I will say, every single home schooled kid I've ever met is probably the most socially awkward kid I've ever met.

Well that is some hard evidence. I could just as easily say most of the kids I see everyday, which go to public schools, are socially inept. I was just thinking this as I picked up my drycleaning yesterday and was paying my bill to this 16 year old twit that has never been taught the concept of eye contact. Her social skills are off the charts.

Well, some kids just are. And some kids I know from public schools are just fine in social situations.

But every kid I know who was home-schooled is extremely introverted and makes socially awkward statements on a consistent basis.

I'm not saying that is a product of home-schooling, or that public school kids are necesarily more socially normal. I'm just speaking to my experience.

Well, some kids just are. And some kids I know from public schools are just fine in social situations.

But every kid I know who was home-schooled is extremely introverted and makes socially awkward statements on a consistent basis.

I'm not saying that is a product of home-schooling, or that public school kids are necesarily more socially normal. I'm just speaking to my experience.

ok

those of you against homeschooling can take comfort in the knowledge that if the Dems win the mid terms, they will attempt to pass an amendment making public education a right (it's already been proposed). this will effectively outlaw homeschooling since any hotshot attorney representing the teachers' union can gin up a class action lawsuit claiming that homeschooling violates children's rights.

now, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me. I have heard (or thought I heard) that this amendment was to apply only to secondary education, which is just as ludicrous an idea.

and as a side note: both of my kids go to public schools.

those of you against homeschooling can take comfort in the knowledge that if the Dems win the mid terms, they will attempt to pass an amendment making public education a right (it's already been proposed). this will effectively outlaw homeschooling since any hotshot attorney representing the teachers' union can gin up a class action lawsuit claiming that homeschooling violates children's rights.

now, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me. I have heard (or thought I heard) that this amendment was to apply only to secondary education, which is just as ludicrous an idea.

I think making school attendance/completion mandatory is ridiculous. However, I also feel that most parents are not qualified enough to teach their kids primary education, let alone high school subjects. Of course, the quality of the education should be judged by future employers and colleges and universities, as opposed to the gov't.

Also, to pass an amendment, in congress, the Democrats would need a two thirds majority, along with ratification from the states. That is not going to happen.

Since there is a Republican President and not enough in Congress favorable to this to pass an amendment, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt with such an uphill battle this will even get very far if true.

On education, I recall a Republican contract from '94, many Republicans in Congress, and a Republican Presidential candidate in 2000 promising to return school control to the local districts and closer to parents rather than DC. But since 2000, the GOP has done more to bring full control of our nation's education system to DC than locals including parents. So I think the ones in charge now have done more to screw up education than any fear of what Democrats could potentially do.

I'll open up a whole new can of worms here and see the views on homeschooling your kids. I've seen a few groups really begin pushing this harder than before. The argument is to flee public schools because of the quality of education, ideology, safety, etc.

Pros? Cons?
I know twin boys who were home schooled and one is in medical school now.Not too shabby.

I was home schooled for one year, 9th grade. I attended private Christian schools for the 7th and 8th grades as well as 10th, and 11th grades. I convinced my parents to let me attend Lavergne High school my senior year, because of some girl that soon broke up with me.

My one year of home school was a joke. Nothing against my mom but she was just not cut out to do that kind of thing. I did pretty bad in private school my grades were horrible, as if you didnt already know from my writing abilities. My senior year of school I went from making C's, D's and yes F's in private school to making A's and B's in public school. Also the private school had required so much out of me that I only needed to attend one class to attain my diploma, English Lit. The school required me to attend at least a half day of school so I ended up taking one hour of wood shop and two hours of machine shop each day. Talk about a skate senior year.

VN Store

Back