Homecoming Saturday Mood...

I hope it’s a great crowd. There are thousands of tickets for sale on the secondary market so hopefully they will sell.

Go Vols!

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
Wow - been a looong time since I have attended a game and sang this song. Here is a refresher:

“On a hallowed hill in Tennessee / Like a beacon shining bright / The stately walls of old UT / Rise glorious to the sight.

Refrain (after all three verses): So here’s to you, old Tennessee / Our Alma Mater true; / We pledge in love and harmony / Our loyalty to you.

What torches kindled of that flame / Have passed from hand to hand / What hearts cemented in that name / Bid land to stranger land.

Oh, ever as we strive to rise / On life’s unresting stream / Dear Alma Mater, may our eyes / Be lifted to that gleam.”

For some reason, UT has added an “a” before “beacon”. Used to be just “like beacon shining bright”. Get off my porch.
Not to get all English teacher here, but you have to add the “a”. If you don’t, then you’ve got a non-countable noun with the singular noun “beacon”, which doesn’t make any sense. You wouldn’t say, “My dog ate bone” because it’s an incomplete, nonsensical sentence. How many bones? One bone? 1,000 bones? Just like this, the metaphor is saying “UT is a guiding light for the masses, handing down the knowledge from generation to generation.” Hence, “a beacon shining bright”.

Now, let’s go kick the 💩 out of those nerds from Connecticut!

Reactions: ohhbother
As a 1986 graduate of Hiwassee College in Madisonville, I always looked forward to their Homecoming weekend where I could get together with old class mates and friends and teachers.

My alma mater shuttered their doors in 2017.

My advice is to CHERISH each and every time that you set foot on the Tennessee campus and see all your old friends and class mates and teachers.

As a 1986 graduate of Hiwassee College in Madisonville, I always looked forward to their Homecoming weekend where I could get together with old class mates and friends and teachers.

My alma mater shuttered their doors in 2017.

My advice is to CHERISH each and every time that you set foot on the Tennessee campus and see all your old friends and class mates and teachers.
I can't agree more, Hiwassee class of 1981.

For some reason, UT has added an “a” before “beacon”. Used to be just “like beacon shining bright”. Get off my porch.
So they decided to change the song , which has been around for decades and sung at every home game, without an explanation. I have always sung it" like beacon shining bright" and will continue to do so. Unless the author of the song changes it, it is not changed.

Freak will you be posting the game on Youtube?...I have to work tommorrow and will miss the game so I would like to see the replay if possible when i get home.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back