Home Media Server

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Any advice would be appreciated. My original purpose is to store movies/shows I own and be able to stream to any device. Secondly, if I’m going to have my own server would like it to also be a way to store and share family photos/videos w extended family and not need to use the cloud

What is your media in now? Is it DVD's and Blu-rays?

I did the following done time ago and it has worked for me. Have about 6 tb of shows and movies.

1) buy an external usb Blu Ray drive (for ripping Blu-rays and DVDs)
2) buy an 8 tb external hard drive
3) use makemkv software to rip pure copies of the discs. This will allow me to cue them up for...
4) use handbrake to process the mkv files into smaller sized hd files onto your external. There are a ton of articles out there on the best way to have your settings
5) make sure as you do step 4, you're following the best Plex naming conventions. Again there are articles on that.
6) buy a Nvidia shield pro. This works as a good cheaper way to have a media server. You can alternatively use a desktop.
7) plug the external into the Nvidia
8) download Plex onto the Nvidia, set it up as a server, and point its directory to your external. This will get all the cool metadata to make it look Netflix like if you named the files right

I tried setting up Plex on a raspberry pi, but movies stutter. Not sure if the pi doesn’t have enough horsepower or if it is my home wifi too weak. Works FANTASTIC for my music collection though

I tried setting up Plex on a raspberry pi, but movies stutter. Not sure if the pi doesn’t have enough horsepower or if it is my home wifi too weak. Works FANTASTIC for my music collection though

We use plex for our server which a couple buddies share.

We have about 2,000 movies on it so far.

It runs great with roku but if u have issues dont select the direct play option.

I did the following done time ago and it has worked for me. Have about 6 tb of shows and movies.

3) use makemkv software to rip pure copies of the discs. This will allow me to cue them up for...
4) use handbrake to process the mkv files into smaller sized hd files onto your external. There are a ton of articles out there on the best way to have your settings
5) make sure as you do step 4, you're following the best Plex naming conventions. Again there are articles on that.
6) buy a Nvidia shield pro. This works as a good cheaper way to have a media server. You can alternatively use a desktop.
8) download Plex onto the Nvidia, set it up as a server, and point its directory to your external. This will get all the cool metadata to make it look Netflix like if you named the files right

I would live to rip my dvds on a hard drive.

We use plex for our server which a couple buddies share.

We have about 2,000 movies on it so far.

It runs great with roku but if u have issues dont select the direct play option.
what server do you use? it sounds like plex can be accessed from anywhere? what do you mean don't select direct play?

How are speeds with the NVidia if I pool media together w my family and there are a couple people streaming at the same time?

How are speeds with the NVidia if I pool media together w my family and there are a couple people streaming at the same time?

Plex defaults to direct which means you play it directly from the server with no change.

Not direct means you allow plex to change the coding as it comes over to fit your set up better.

It's under both the main setting and each movie setting. You simply deselect force direct play option.

We did this as the latest plex update seemed to have an error with it and when we removed it it fixed the error. No need to bother with it if you don't get any playback error but if you do try it.

I will ask my buddy about his exact build as I don't know how he has his set up exactly.

The nice thing with plex is there are sites where you can get alot of movies and you can also use it as a DVR and save stuff you want to keep forever off the tv.

We have a classics tv season for pre 90s, a Charlie chan section cause I love chan, an afternoon cartoon section, Saturday morning cartoon section, Godzilla section, bond section, new releases section, etc.

I did a quick search for what external drives to use and I found this thread. Seems kind of intense.... without reading through all of this, was hoping you could give some insight on this “flashing” business?
Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021 - Page 45 - www.makemkv.com

1. For ~ $150 pick up a Windows 10 PC from Newegg, or use an existing PC. Install ~ 10 Tb hard drive for media. Install blu ray player to rip DVD's and Blu Ray discs. Put rips into shared network folders.
2. Put Firestick 4K's on each TV, install SPMC v.15.0 for free. Set up SPMC to access movies, music, pics,etc.
I also cut cable, installed an attic antenna, hooked it up to HD Homerun quad tuner and put NextPVR on the PC and use it for a whole home DVR. I use SlingTV for ESPN, SEC, etc.
20210301_201813.jpg

1. For ~ $150 pick up a Windows 10 PC from Newegg, or use an existing PC. Install ~ 10 Tb hard drive for media. Install blu ray player to rip DVD's and Blu Ray discs. Put rips into shared network folders.
2. Put Firestick 4K's on each TV, install SPMC v.15.0 for free. Set up SPMC to access movies, music, pics,etc.
I also cut cable, installed an attic antenna, hooked it up to HD Homerun quad tuner and put NextPVR on the PC and use it for a whole home DVR. I use SlingTV for ESPN, SEC, etc.
View attachment 354992
I was just reading about HDHR today and am going to do that. Are you able to access SPMC outside of your network? I was also looking at JellyFin. Do you integrate SlingTV to this? Like able to record shows from Sling to your device?

I’ve been looking into HDMI splitters/HD Recorders but hoping not to have to go that route 😏

VN Store

Back