Holly responds to Geno...

CincyLadyVol

Not sure if this needs to have it's own thread or combined with another, but Mechelle Voepel has written an article about the situation with Geno/Westbrooke which contains comments from Holly. It's at ESPN, of course.

Reactions: RollerVol
She needs to stay out of it. She shouldn’t have commented at all. It will just make things messy and create a distraction for the current staff and team. She’s no longer part of the university and shouldn’t be speaking on their behalf. I think she’s a wonderful person and I agree with her sentiment, but it’s not her place to push this issue.

She needs to stay out of it. She shouldn’t have commented at all. It will just make things messy and create a distraction for the current staff and team. She’s no longer part of the university and shouldn’t be speaking on their behalf. I think she’s a wonderful person and I agree with her sentiment, but it’s not her place to push this issue.

Actually, Auriemma’s comments are directed at the program under Holly’s direction, not Kellie’s, so it’s only fair that Holly be allowed an opportunity to respond.

That said, I feel you. I almost wish she hadn’t, but she definitely was deserving of the chance.

What a weak response. If you are going to respond, Holly, take Majors's advice and attack, attack, attack! Holly has to know why Pat canceled the series and probably knows of dirt within the UConn program. If she is going to respond, respond forcefully and go on the attack, not apologetically begging for mercy from that scumbag.

Actually, Auriemma’s comments are directed at the program under Holly’s direction, not Kellie’s, so it’s only fair that Holly be allowed an opportunity to respond.

That said, I feel you. I almost wish she hadn’t, but she definitely was deserving of the chance.

That’s the past. She had her shot. I respect what she did in her time at UT, but she needs to pass the torch. It isn’t her place to be making comments. It just makes Kellie’s job more difficult IMO. All that stuff about there being more layers to the story is just stirring the pot. She’s not going to divulge anymore about it than he is, so she might as well have said “no comment” and left it at that.

Geno is scared because he Holly is no longer the coach at UT and he knew he had no worries as long as she was. The Lady Vols are the penultimate women's bball program no matter how many times UConn wins a championship. They are the women's version of the Lakers or Yankees, they'll always be greater than anyone else because of what they established and the history. Don't worry, Geno, Kelly will need a couple of years to fully reestablish this program so you can rest easy til then.

HeartyOddballAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

Geno is scared because he Holly is no longer the coach at UT and he knew he had no worries as long as she was. The Lady Vols are the penultimate women's bball program no matter how many times UConn wins a championship. They are the women's version of the Lakers or Yankees, they'll always be greater than anyone else because of what they established and the history. Don't worry, Geno, Kelly will need a couple of years to fully reestablish this program so you can rest easy til then.
Geno feels threatened by the Lady Vol program, it's as plain as day.

She had every right to comment, he was essentially talking crap about her and her staff.

Geno is just playing his game, like any good coach would
Yes, he's being a bit of a punk, but he is fighting for Evina, as any coach would

Phil and UT are 100% right to stay hands off,,,don't help, don't hinder
UT didn't ask Evina to leave, she left
Her decision is not our problem

The NCAA made a choice
Their decision is not our problem

Stand up and quit yer Cryin Coach"G",,,,Play the players you recruited and wait next year for the one WE recruited
We didn't hinder and we shouldn't help...in fact, ,,,,unless he tries to recruit our ex-coach,
I don;t think UT would stand in his way on that acquisition either
I don't know about UT, but, I might help him on that one though

You might want to edit this post. The LV's are not the penultimate women's basketball program. Unless you know something that I don't.

The problem is that Geno's comments are completely absurd. He's still mad that Pat was better than him on every level and so he takes shots at the University every chance.

Regardless of what you think of Holly, she's right and he's wrong. The NCAA made a decision. Period. Maybe we should hold Geno responsible for their decision and make absurd public comments about UCONN. Oh wait, that would be stupid. Geno wins basketball games but everything else he does makes me thankful he is not our coach.

Geno feels threatened by the Lady Vol program, it's as plain as day.

I have a different view of him on this. While I am 99.99% sure he isn’t “threatened” by a program that hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2008 and barely even made the tournament field at all last season, I’m comfortable with suggesting that he’s likely deeply resentful of the amount of attention Tennessee still receives.

It must chap his rear that Tennessee, despite the fact that the program’s reputation as a regular contender for championships was in decline even before Pat’s terminal brain disease was diagnosed, STILL gets more overall positive attention than his program.

No matter how many championships he wins, no matter how many wins, no matter how many positive things of any kind come out of Storrs, there’s STILL more mentions of a DEAD Pat Summitt and the Tennessee Lady Vols in national media than there are of Auriemma and his Huskies.

Can you imagine how crazy that must make him? Geno Auriemma is the Jan Brady of women’s college basketball. But instead of, “It’s always ‘Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!!,” his brain is on repeat with “It’s always Pat, Pat, Tennessee!!”

He’s not the least bit “threatened.” His record will best Pat’s in every category by the time he’s through. But he IS so jealous of Pat’s legacy, and so petty and vindictive of a little man that he absolutely could not pass up an opportunity to taint Tennessee’s reputation in hopes that it might make the voices in his head stop.

Just sayin’. That man is seriously unhinged.

She had to expect to sit out a year when she transferred otherwise Geno gave her bad info. I am pretty sure he played a hand in her decision to leave. It was Fulmers job to respond and he shouldn't have been so nice about it. Holly was a part of the problem, should remain silent. The last 3 years of her tenure the teams were obviously in chaos off the court. I don't even want to know the details.

You might want to edit this post. The LV's are not the penultimate women's basketball program. Unless you know something that I don't.
Opinions can vary, but I suspect it's easy to hear the common misuse of a word, and pick it up. Context seems to show that here.

This is why IMO you never respond to this type of stuff. It’s a mud hole fight and looks pathetic to the rest of the sports world. Now if specifics start to be released then at some level you address them but to wrestle in the mud with Geno over general accusations is totally fruitless.

I wish Holly would just stay quiet. Fulmer and Kelly sounded strong and classy, Holly sounds weak, especially with her use of “not fair”. That was one of her problems as a coach, she always sounded weak and unsure. I respect her as a VFL and am truly amazed at her support of the Lady Vols even after being fired, but this is all in the past. The environment she help create is in the past. Whether it was his original attention or not, Geno is now using this as a recruiting tool. At one point he used homophobia as a recruiting tool against the Lady Vols, telling parents the program was full of lesbians who would prey on their daughters. That was in conversations with parents of select recruits, not broadcast on the news for every player to hear. IMHO the best we can do is move on, stay above it, and beat their a@* come January.

I don't see where she was out of line. I am glad she spoke up.

I have a different view of him on this. While I am 99.99% sure he isn’t “threatened” by a program that hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2008 and barely even made the tournament field at all last season, I’m comfortable with suggesting that he’s likely deeply resentful of the amount of attention Tennessee still receives.

It must chap his rear that Tennessee, despite the fact that the program’s reputation as a regular contender for championships was in decline even before Pat’s terminal brain disease was diagnosed, STILL gets more overall positive attention than his program.

No matter how many championships he wins, no matter how many wins, no matter how many positive things of any kind come out of Storrs, there’s STILL more mentions of a DEAD Pat Summitt and the Tennessee Lady Vols in national media than there are of Auriemma and his Huskies.

Can you imagine how crazy that must make him? Geno Auriemma is the Jan Brady of women’s college basketball. But instead of, “It’s always ‘Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!!,” his brain is on repeat with “It’s always Pat, Pat, Tennessee!!”

He’s not the least bit “threatened.” His record will best Pat’s in every category by the time he’s through. But he IS so jealous of Pat’s legacy, and so petty and vindictive of a little man that he absolutely could not pass up an opportunity to taint Tennessee’s reputation in hopes that it might make the voices in his head stop.

Just sayin’. That man is seriously unhinged.

My take is similar but different as well. I don’t think he is intimidated or scared of TN. HOWEVER, he did take that opportunity to plant that seed of doubt in recruits AND their parents minds. Even with the shortened recruiting Kellie and her staff put in work and got some of the top talents to come visit. UConn and TN are in on a lot of good players and if he can use any forum to keep him on top I believe he would. He wouldn’t allow his daughter to come to UT? How about when he bad mouthed Andrea Espinoza Hunter drinking on stage at a luncheon for the UConn donors? The video was taken down (and yes that’s been documented) but he bad mouthed her and spun her leaving into she was kicked off lol. Why say anything if as he says kids leave our program and we help making them seem like saints? Remember the lady Sam Bruenelle we just played ? When she chose ND over UConn he said well we never wanted her or she was never offered LOL... REALLY ? Why would any parent want their child to play for someone who puts teenagers and young ladies down when you are supposed to be building them up. But people have been gracious to Geno for far to long which is why I love how Muffet gives it right back to him.

I think he’s starting to feel pressure of not being the “It” program anymore and he’s trying to spin it in the media that his program is the victim in this situation. This is the longest he’s gone between championships since his titles in 2004 and 2009. He’s been left out of the championship game all together the past 3 years. Honestly I don’t see them advancing past the Elite 8 this year and he probably feels the same way and feels like his stranglehold on the sport is slipping away.

This is why IMO you never respond to this type of stuff. It’s a mud hole fight and looks pathetic to the rest of the sports world. Now if specifics start to be released then at some level you address them but to wrestle in the mud with Geno over general accusations is totally fruitless.
Like I heard or read recently: If you wrestle with pigs, no matter who wins, you both will get muddy...:D

Reactions: tennrich1

VN Store

Back