Holly on recruiting trail

Nice article. Sounds like A'ja Wilson would fit right in to the style of play that Holly and staff have instituted. I think we're only seeing the beginnings of it this year. Once we develop a little depth, we'll really see this team run!

I had some problem with the link, so I have fixed it. Just trying to be helpful.

Elite posts push the boys to secondary status

Jim

I would love to see Holly land the #1 player in the country again with this class, but I haven't seen anything stating how much interest A'ja actually has in the LVs! A'ja is a hell of a player, and at her size, she's a nightmare matchup. Although she is 6'6", she considers herself a guard, and has spent time at the PG position as well. Couldn't you imagine having Graves and Russell in the paint with A'ja out on the perimeter?? I can't wait to see how the 2014 class turns out. If Holly et. al. Do as well with this next class, the future just keeps getting brighter!

Reactions: 1 person
I think White will be a Lady Vol.

I think Wilson will stay home and play for Dawn Staley at South Carolina. Unfortunately for her, it's unlikely any coach that has half a brain will play her as a guard. For her size, she is an above average ball handler. As an actual guard, she's well below average, and she's not a great perimeter shooter. And she is 6'6". No coach in their right mind would not put her at the PF spot and take advantage of all her skills. She would fit perfectly with Alana Coates, the McDonald's AA center that South Carolina got for this incoming class.

It would be great to get White. I like what Holly and her staff are doing--really going after it on the recruiting trail, and I think the coaching has solidified. As much as we all respect PS, things were not good the last few years. IMO, Holly really needs to boost the guard recruiting and then work to improve perimeter defense and passing. The passing is better this year than in years past, but our guards can't really defend. This program should have at least /three/ GOOD, athletic guards on the team every year--and yet there have been years recently when we barely had one; we had a small forward (a 3) playing point guard for two years! I'm not suggesting that we should have three Top 20 or even Top 50 guards on the team every year, but we should be getting at least one or two /every year/ and then finding another one who may not necessarily be an elite prospect but who has the athleticism and skills to play good defense and help the offense. There are a lot of good HS guard prospects every year. The guards on this team play brilliantly against the lesser teams--but then fall apart on both ends when we play the big dogs.

Don't know how Jasmine Phillips will pan out, but next year we will have Massingale, Carter, with Jannah Tucker, Jordan Reynolds and Phillips at guard. Looks pretty good to me.

Don't know how Jasmine Phillips will pan out, but next year we will have Massingale, Carter, with Jannah Tucker, Jordan Reynolds and Phillips at guard. Looks pretty good to me.

Don't forget Simmons has another year of eligibility.

VN Store

Back