Holiday bowl canceled

All failures to play in regular season games should start from being a forfeit if there's not some explanation (hurricane, etc) truly beyond the team's control.

I duck nothing, kid. The bowl games AREN'T regular season games and many ARE meaningless. Not playing in them simply doesn't matter.

So, if they're truly meaningless then why bother? See, this is the question nobody wants to answer. If the postseason is meaningless and all that matters is the regular season, then so be it and I can accept that.

My entire point is very simple-once a school agrees to play at the xxxxxx bowl on yyyyy date, either they show up ready to play or do not. If they do not, then should be a forfeit. Yes this also applies to UT backing out of the bowl vs W VA last year.

As things are, those extra practices are what really matters for a team and something you did not touch on. Playing in the Toilet Bowl I agree means nothing. It's those extra 20 practices for the Toilet Bowl that teams covet and set a team up for more success the next season. Taking those practices and then bailing is, for lack of a better terms slimy.

Once teams actually have to start forfeiting games and that counts against them a great deal of this last minute pull out nonsense will end.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAVol85
So, if they're truly meaningless then why bother? See, this is the question nobody wants to answer. If the postseason is meaningless and all that matters is the regular season, then so be it and I can accept that.

My entire point is very simple-once a school agrees to play at the xxxxxx bowl on yyyyy date, either they show up ready to play or do not. If they do not, then should be a forfeit. Yes this also applies to UT backing out of the bowl vs W VA earlier this year.

Once teams actually have to start forfeiting games and that counts against them a great deal of this last minute pull out nonsense will end.
This is an ESPN created market that they're milking for money. The NCAA and schools go along and the fans have literally bought in.

Follow the money. It's in a mouse hole.

This is an ESPN created market that they're milking for money. The NCAA and schools go along and the fans have literally bought in.

Follow the money. It's in a mouse hole.

I agree it's money but please see the part about the practices. That is the gold for the teams and the ultimate prize for playing in the Toilet Bowl.

Never underestimate the value of 20 extra practices to a team.

I agree it's money but please see the part about the practices. That is the gold for the teams and the ultimate prize for playing in the Toilet Bowl.

Never underestimate the value of 20 extra practices to a team.
Which, with bowl payouts, is why the schools ride along. The practices/payouts is incentive for the schools.

Make no mistake, though, that ESPN drives all this. They own a bunch of bowls and promote them as though they are "must watch" events and fans eat it up like ants on sugar.

Edited for the "money" quote:

ESPN Events, a division of ESPN, owns and operates a portfolio of 35 collegiate sporting events nationwide. The roster includes five early-season college football games, 17 college bowl games, 12 college basketball events, and a college softball event, which accounts for approximately 400 hours of live programming, reaches nearly 64 million viewers and attracts over 800,000 attendees each year.

ESPN Events Announces Matchups for 2021-22 Bowl Season

Someone is not happy...

"Felt lied to, to be honest," Doeren said. "We felt like UCLA probably knew something was going on, didn't tell anybody on our side. We had no clue they were up against that. I don't feel like it was very well handled from their university. It would have been great to have had a heads-up so two or three days ago we could have found a Plan B. Disappointing."

Someone is not happy...

"Felt lied to, to be honest," Doeren said. "We felt like UCLA probably knew something was going on, didn't tell anybody on our side. We had no clue they were up against that. I don't feel like it was very well handled from their university. It would have been great to have had a heads-up so two or three days ago we could have found a Plan B. Disappointing."
He should be. It’s bull$hit to cancel a game 5 hours before kickoff. Not surprising given protocols in the state of California. They were still canceling games earlier this season.

UCLA apparently lost most of their defensive front. Checking the depth chart, they're mostly just 2 deep at those positions. That's all they have.

You can't expect a team to play with 2nd string corners subbing in at nose tackle, can you?

Vandy played us last year and they only had like 50 players. Yes UCLA could have played.

Reactions: VAVol85
Vandy played us last year and they only had like 50 players. Yes UCLA could have played.
Regular season would've been a forfeit so they played.

Useless bowl game, why play?

I've nothing against bowl games but they've already got their practices, they won't get their check, and the big loser is ESPN. What's not to like?

I've nothing against bowl games but they've already got their practices, they won't get their check, and the big loser is ESPN. What's not to like?

Irrelevant. They played. UCLA pulled out the very last minute pretty much. That was a calculated move. Doeren has every right to be skeptical. This is BS. It’s not a useless bowl game. Especially to NCST.

Your statement of why play shows the cowardice that is permeating college football.

Irrelevant. They played. UCLA pulled out the very last minute pretty much. That was a calculated move. Doeren has every right to be skeptical. This is BS. It’s not a useless bowl game. Especially to NCST.

Your statement of why play shows the cowardice that is permeating college football.
I'm skeptical of UCLA too but I also find the hand wringing over these bowls to be comical.

NC State got their practices and the players know what they did this year without this money grab by ESPN.

I've not addressed the COVID crap or the ethics of teams cancelling but rather the obvious manipulation of the fans by ESPN to create this "bowl mania" couple of weeks. It's ridiculously hyped and pimped so fans will believe these games are really important.

They're just not.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of UCLA too but I also find the hand wringing over these bowls to be comical.

NC State got their practices and the players know what they did this year without this money grab by ESPN.

I've not addressed the COVID crap or the ethics of teams cancelling but rather the obvious manipulation of the fans by ESPN to create this "bowl mania" couple of weeks. It's ridiculously hyped and pimped so fans will believe these games are really important.

They're just not.

Bowls aren’t important is a statement only a fan would say. Ask the players and the coaches. Bet you get a different answer.

"Bowls aren’t important is a statement only a fan would say. Ask the players and the coaches. Bet you get a different answer."

If admins are making the call, they're costing the school bowl money and drawing heat from both internally (if your premise is correct) and externally.

If coaches are making the call, your above statement is incorrect.

Who do you think is making the call?

Last edited:

A team can think a bowl game is meaningless and simply decline the invitation.

Once they accept the invitation, they have a responsibility to show up and play the game just like Vandy did in @BigOrangeTrain ‘s example.

UCLA, even with their walkons playing on DL, would be better matched physically with NC State than Furman who played them during the regular season.

Getting their tail kicked while undermanned is not nearly as embarrassing as walking away from the game.

A team can think a bowl game is meaningless and simply decline the invitation.

Once they accept the invitation, they have a responsibility to show up and play the game just like Vandy did in @BigOrangeTrain ‘s example.

UCLA, even with their walkons playing on DL, would be better matched physically with NC State than Furman who played them during the regular season.

Getting their tail kicked while undermanned is not nearly as embarrassing as walking away from the game.
Who do you think is making the call that they can't play?

I'm not exactly sure but it's got to be: admins or coaches.

BigOrangeTrain insists coaches and players WANT to play so do you think admins are just walking into the fire here?

Admins will face the wrath of coaches, players, boosters, and fans if they're making the call.

Who is calling these games off then?

Who do you think is making the call that they can't play?

I'm not exactly sure but it's got to be: admins or coaches.

BigOrangeTrain insists coaches and players WANT to play so do you think admins are just walking into the fire here?

Admins will face the wrath of coaches, players, boosters, and fans if they're making the call.

Who is calling these games off then?
Have no idea who is making the call, I was not joining the part of the debate that was parsing the decision-making process... just objecting to the outcome.

I will say that if the coaches and players want to walk away from a game because It’s going to be a struggle, then they have issues they need to address.

Have no idea who is making the call, I was not joining the part of the debate that was parsing the decision-making process... just objecting to the outcome.

I will say that if the coaches and players want to walk away from a game because It’s going to be a struggle, then they have issues they need to address.
Well to hold anyone accountable, we need to know who is actually doing the cancelling. Merely complaining and not understanding who and their reasons why seems futile.

My thoughts are: some of these players are seniors or can easily transfer. ==IF== a coach or admins are running and players are unhappy, we'd have seen some Twitter or Facebook or some social media message from an upset kid who is leaving saying, "We got screwed by _______" But nothing, at least that I've seen, from any kid after multiple cancellations. No blame messages. Nothing. From anyone.

In this generation that seems weird. A senior who is leaving, not hitting the NFL, and wanted to play their last game, these days, could light up social media. Kids live for that kind of thing and attention these days.

You gotta think some upset kid who won't be back would out a program for being weak.

Nothing. It seems weird.

At some point, hopefully the market will correct this lunacy.

Advertisers will likely want their money back from the networks and bowls. The networks and bowls will want compensation for lost revenue from the conferences/schools. Fans who made plans to be at the game will want their money back for tickets, hotels, and airfare.

Local communities hosting the bowls will suffer the loss as well.

Reactions: Shocker0
Seems reasonable. 🙄

I suggest you line up play after play with some OLineman who knows how to play the position and outweighs you by about 50lbs.

You'll last about 5 minutes.

That is their fault for not having eligible players. They still should be forced to play and suffer the blowout.

I'm not triggered at all. I'm just being serious. If TN lost their entire QB room, should they play because they have some guys who played QB in HS?

They can't possibly have a decent game that way. I think the NFL made Denver play with no QB...... just ridiculous. That was a regular season game but it was ugly.

Call it a forfeit, but don't risk getting guys embarrassed trying to do something they aren't trained to do. Does your company just "sub someone in" if you're not there? If so, your job isn't very meaningful to the business.
Two of your arguments conflict with each other.

On the one hand, you said that the bowl games are meaningless, but then you added the risk of embarrassment as another reason for why they shouldn't be played under conditions where some players have been forced to play out of position.

Why would those players feel embarrassed about their performance in a game which doesn't matter anyway?

Two of your arguments conflict with each other.

On the one hand, you said that the bowl games are meaningless, but then you added the risk of embarrassment as another reason for why they shouldn't be played under conditions where some players have been forced to play out of position.

Why would those players feel embarrassed about their performance in a game which doesn't matter anyway?
Certainly.

Humans don't like embarrassment even when they're doing stupid, meaningless activities.

Kids don't like embarrassment on the playground when nothing is going on but recess. Right?

VN Store

Back