Holdsclaw in Trouble

That bothers me so much. Just so sad. She was one of my favorite Tennessee athletes. I was at school when they won three titles with her. I think she must have a personality disorder or something. Terrible.

Wow. Seems like I struck a nerve. So your saying it's not true right? Cause if your a female athlete that is gay...

I'm saying, as a mother of three grown kids, two of whom are daughters who were athletes and who still play sports, that it gets really old dealing with stupid, snide comments like this.

They had to put up with a lot of snotty harassing non-jokes made by guys, and many of their friends wound up dropping out of sports. Unfortunately, their friends cared enough (too much) about the opinions of adolescent males, and they gave up an important part of the human experience --developing physical and mental toughness, learning to work with a team. Maybe later they'll pick up sports again, you never know.

At any rate, and this is complete speculation on my part, maybe girls and young women who aren't interested in guys and don't care about impressing them are more apt to stay with sports. Who knows? I'm not a sports psychologist.

FWIW, my daughters aren't gay, and neither am I (and I'm certainly no athlete.) But I am definitely baffled by people who are fascinated by others' sexual preferences and practices. I mean, what does it matter to anyone else? Who cares??

The one thing that cheers me up is the observation that I've made over time that guys are way more obnoxious and homophobic in their teens and twenties than they generally are in later years. Maybe they become more self-assured sexually with time, and not so threatened by those who are different. :dunno:

ETA: what's really sad about this story is that it looks like Chamique never really recovered from the emotional struggles that caused her problems earlier in her career as well. It's not who she is attracted to; it's that she doesn't seem to be able to maintain a stable relationship with others or with herself. And that's not a gay issue, that's a deep source of pain for many, no matter what their orientation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm saying, as a mother of three grown kids, two of whom are daughters who were athletes and who still play sports, that it gets really old dealing with stupid, snide comments like this.

They had to put up with a lot of snotty harassing non-jokes made by guys, and many of their friends wound up dropping out of sports. Unfortunately, their friends cared enough (too much) about the opinions of adolescent males, and they gave up an important part of the human experience --developing physical and mental toughness, learning to work with a team. Maybe later they'll pick up sports again, you never know.

At any rate, and this is complete speculation on my part, maybe girls and young women who aren't interested in guys and don't care about impressing them are more apt to stay with sports. Who knows? I'm not a sports psychologist.

FWIW, my daughters aren't gay, and neither am I (and I'm certainly no athlete.) But I am definitely baffled by people who are fascinated by others' sexual preferences and practices. I mean, what does it matter to anyone else? Who cares??

The one thing that cheers me up is the observation that I've made over time that guys are way more obnoxious and homophobic in their teens and twenties than they generally are in later years. Maybe they become more self-assured sexually with time, and not so threatened by those who are different. :dunno:

ETA: what's really sad about this story is that it looks like Chamique never really recovered from the emotional struggles that caused her problems earlier in her career as well. It's not who she is attracted to; it's that she doesn't seem to be able to maintain a stable relationship with others or with herself. And that's not a gay issue, that's a deep source of pain for many, no matter what their orientation.

Ok well youre obviously very passionate about the subject. Still u can't deny that a disproportionate percentage of elite female athletes turn out to be gay. Sorry if that offends u. It's kinda like a disproportionate percentage of male gymnast and figure skaters turn out to be gay. Probably pisses them off also when they get stereotyped as all being gay but it's just the nature of the beast

It doesn't offend me at all if they are. I get offended at the insults that generally go along with it. If that wasn't your intent, I apologize for the lecture. :hi:

VN Store

Back