Hofstra transfer Darlinstone Dubar has committed to Tennessee

He does have a strange, slow release on his threes. Then again, he hit 7 of 11 against Duke, so I don't know what to think.

The release is only a problem because the D has more time to make a contest. You can still trust the shooting %. One of the great things about Knecht is he could get off a high % shot with a quick, high release, and he was so good at coming off screens, and back cuts and stuff. He forced help defenders to focus on him when he didn't have the ball. He could also just set up on a spot, or hit 3's off the dribble, but I think the most value came from the 3's that were contingent on off-ball work.

So guys with slower, low releases can hit at the same clip, they just can't get off as many clean looks or cause the D to panic quite as much.

The release is only a problem because the D has more time to make a contest. You can still trust the shooting %. One of the great things about Knecht is he could get off a high % shot with a quick, high release, and he was so good at coming off screens, and back cuts and stuff. He forced help defenders to focus on him when he didn't have the ball. He could also just set up on a spot, or hit 3's off the dribble, but I think the most value came from the 3's that were contingent on off-ball work.

So guys with slower, low releases can hit at the same clip, they just can't get off as many clean looks or cause the D to panic quite as much.
I really appreciate you guys giving us some real, no BS insight (paptomany thanks as well!) I’m a football guy but go back to Ernie and Bernie loving UT basketball. Props gentlemen!

Reactions: n_huffhines
I really appreciate you guys giving us some real, no BS insight (paptomany thanks as well!) I’m a football guy but go back to Ernie and Bernie loving UT basketball. Props gentlemen!
papatomany my apologies!

Well, yeah. That's why having time to get off 11 against Duke is surprising to me. I wasn't surprised by the percentage.

Well, yeah. That's why having time to get off 11 against Duke is surprising to me. I wasn't surprised by the percentage.
He was mostly unguarded by Duke for whatever reason. Watch the highlights of that game and you'll see him just shooting open jumper after open jumper.

Reactions: walkenvol
Breakdown of Dubar game

Years left = 1

Ht: 6-8 Wt: 211
Three years after transferring from Iowa State when then-coach Steve Prohm was fired, Dunbar had a big-time breakout season for the Pride in 2023-24, earning second-team All-CAA honors after averaging nearly 18 points and seven rebounds per game.

A long wing scorer, Dunbar’s shot-making will be his signature skill for a high major. Over the last two seasons, Dubar has drilled 40.1 percent of his nearly 300 3-point attempts, a terrific number for a chiseled 6-foot-7, 215-pound wing. His mechanics off the catch feature a funky load into the shooting motion from the left side, but the jumper undeniably falls. He would be an ideal floor-spacer for teams whose wings drift back and forth from the wings to the corners off the ball. While his uncommon left-side load up causes issues with his pull-up jumper, he can attack the rim on straight-line drives and is an effective finisher using his strength and balance through contact.

Dunbar made himself an even more valuable option by being especially effective in Hofstra’s games against high-major competition. He dropped 24 points on Duke while drilling seven 3s, scored 23 against St. John’s, notched 17 points against a good UNLV team, tallied 18 against a strong Princeton team and averaged 19.5 points over his two games against NCAA Tournament-bound Charleston.

He’s a high-major starter next season, and his game should scale up due to his shot-making ability. — Sam Vecenie

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back