Hmmm. Not sure about Caleb Calhoun’s concerns about Nieds..

College coaches have to be able to recruit and neither seemed to do a really good job at it. They were great position coaches... not so much in the recruiting department.
And yet, the first thing that happened was a decommit.

Plus, Pruitt lost his top rated recruiter from last year.
The replacements in defense have never been noted as great recruiters. Hell, Rockers resume blows this new guy away.
I was soundly impressed with what Rocker did with the d line.

If Neids can land the kinda studs that he has been in recruiting, then I predict that we'll be shocked at how excellent of a position coach that he'll appear to be. IOW, elite talent covers many coaching deficiencies.

The replacements in defense have never been noted as great recruiters. Hell, Rockers resume blows this new guy away.
This time last year you wanted them all fired. Whichever way it turns you’re prepared. 😴

If you pay attention to the other “All for Tennessee” columns you’ll start to notice a pattern. It’s hot take central over there and he seems to favor the “throw it all at the wall and see what sticks” style of journalism.

I punch myself in the nads every time I accidentally click on one of his articles.

Interesting. When I read that Nieds was being elevated to a linebacker coach at UT, I twinged..... So I did a little research on him. I know for a fact that Nieds played a role in coaching linebackers at Georgia and Bama, and did a great job according to Pruitt and other coaches while there. Linebacker was his main focus prior to coming to Tennessee and Pruitt was his mentor. Not sure Caleb gets it..

Here’s what Caleb (a Tennessee fan & SEC beat writer who considers himself a UT expert) had to say about Nied’s promotion:

“Niedermeyer has never been an inside linebackers coach. Sure, Brian Niedermeyer has specialized in coaching linebackers in an off-field role. But the fact of the matter is he is taking over a position he has never coached. It’s always a concern when you hire a guy to coach a position he has never coached before, and Tennessee football did that when they moved Niedermeyer over to this role.”

Anyone have more insight on this?
How is he going to get experience without coaching the position ? Much ado about nothing.

It doesn’t really matter where he coaches.. we need those player/prospect connections. Thats where he is key

That’s a lie but whatevs

Ok. So..... Who cares what Caleb Calhoun think?? Show of hands?? Anybody?? I'm guessing that's a no. Next order of business. Urinal cakes, scented or unscented?

If you pay attention to the other “All for Tennessee” columns you’ll start to notice a pattern. It’s hot take central over there and he seems to favor the “throw it all at the wall and see what sticks” style of journalism.

I punch myself in the nads every time I accidentally click on one of his articles.

Sounds like just about every journalist these days....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Evergrenevol

Yes, he's a great coach, Imo. I just didn't care for his recruiting. I believe this brumbaugh cat could end up being a very solid hire. I read his bio and he's coached several NFL d-linemen and has experience in the SEC. I also believe Felton is going to be an amazing recruiter. Of course, that's just a feeling and I could be completely wrong. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just stating my opinion, so please don't take it the wrong way.

P.S. The decommitment is from someone I wasn't impressed with in the first place.

Yes, he's a great coach, Imo. I just didn't care for his recruiting. I believe this brumbaugh cat could end up being a very solid hire. I read his bio and he's coached several NFL d-linemen and has experience in the SEC. I also believe Felton is going to be an amazing recruiter. Of course, that's just a feeling and I could be completely wrong. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just stating my opinion, so please don't take it the wrong way.

P.S. The decommitment is from someone I wasn't impressed with in the first place.
Oh, YOU weren’t impressed. I guess that’s why UT offered and took his commitment. Geez.

This guy wrote another "concerns" article yesterday about Felton. He gave 5 reasons. Sorry, but I can't bring myself to link negative news or even start a thread about it.

1. Felton wasn't able to help us sign Quay Walker in 2018 even though he was Walker's High School Head Coach his freshman and sophomore years.
2. He was part of an 0-12 team at Akron
3. He also didn't have success at UT-Chattanooga
4. He doesn't expand the recruiting map for Tennessee
5. No power 5 experience as an on-field coach

This guy wrote another "concerns" article yesterday about Felton. He gave 5 reasons. Sorry, but I can't bring myself to link negative news or even start a thread about it.

1. Felton wasn't able to help us sign Quay Walker in 2018 even though he was Walker's High School Head Coach his freshman and sophomore years.

You just did..

Assistant coaches in college football are primarily there to recruit, plain and simple. They don't really make many (any?) decisions and take orders from coordinators and the head coach.

I personally don't think it's a big deal Niedermeyer changed positions; he was integral in the recruiting of Henry T and Crouch, and he'll be directly coaching them now, so it should be a good fit.

Interesting. When I read that Nieds was being elevated to a linebacker coach at UT, I twinged..... So I did a little research on him. I know for a fact that Nieds played a role in coaching linebackers at Georgia and Bama, and did a great job according to Pruitt and other coaches while there. Linebacker was his main focus prior to coming to Tennessee and Pruitt was his mentor. Not sure Caleb gets it..

Here’s what Caleb (a Tennessee fan & SEC beat writer who considers himself a UT expert) had to say about Nied’s promotion:

“Niedermeyer has never been an inside linebackers coach. Sure, Brian Niedermeyer has specialized in coaching linebackers in an off-field role. But the fact of the matter is he is taking over a position he has never coached. It’s always a concern when you hire a guy to coach a position he has never coached before, and Tennessee football did that when they moved Niedermeyer over to this role.”

Anyone have more insight on this?
Never coached TE position before he was hired either.

I’ve never been particularly impressed either.

I’d agree. Other than Graham I see the changes as going backwards. Granted, you lost two guys to the NFL.

I don’t see how Weinke hasn’t been replaced either. The QB position hasn’t exactly blossomed under his tutelage.

VN Store

Back