Hit By Pitch

Teeman

I have played, coached, and watched a lot of baseball in my 55 years, but can someone with some baseball knowledge please explain to me how Gilbert getting hit Friday was any different from the ND player getting hit today? I mean both players were checking their swings, but the difference was the ND player was in the strike zone. Both calls were reviewable and both calls had a drastic impact on the game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the umps for the outcome of the series. The strike zone was "Effing horrible", but ND adjusted and we didn't. But those two calls were grossly inconsistent.

Last edited:
The difference is that the second batter was wearing a different jersey than Friday night’s batter, simply put. The 55 years experience is unnecessary to detect the disdain that these umps had for Tennessee and Drew Gilbert. The calls were subjective even after review in both cases, and they called how they wanted them to stand.

I have played, coached, and watched a lot of baseball in my 55 years, but can someone with some baseball knowledge please explain to me how Gilbert getting hit Friday was any different from the ND player getting hit today was? I mean both players were checking their swings, but the difference was the ND player was in the strike zone. Both calls were reviewable and both calls had a drastic impact on the game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the umps for the outcome of the series. The strike zone was "Effing horrible", but ND adjusted and we didn't. But those two calls were grossly inconsistent.
My 12 year old nephew wanted to know the exact same thing. I had no answer for him.

I have played, coached, and watched a lot of baseball in my 55 years, but can someone with some baseball knowledge please explain to me how Gilbert getting hit Friday was any different from the ND player getting hit today was? I mean both players were checking their swings, but the difference was the ND player was in the strike zone. Both calls were reviewable and both calls had a drastic impact on the game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the umps for the outcome of the series. The strike zone was "Effing horrible", but ND adjusted and we didn't. But those two calls were grossly inconsistent.
I had a great view and the ND guy was definitely in the zone, and also lurched forward. Inexcusable, but as I understand, the umpires on the field don’t make the review call. It is made by others off-site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
At your age, you shouldn't be surprised at the lack of consistency from officiating.....in any sport.

The difference is that the second batter was wearing a different jersey than Friday night’s batter, simply put. The 55 years experience is unnecessary to detect the disdain that these umps had for Tennessee and Drew Gilbert. The calls were subjective even after review in both cases, and they called how they wanted them to stand.
UT embraced the brash, in your face persona. They enjoyed being villains.....but that becomes problematic when it extends to the officiating crews. We've seen it before. They have a lot of power to influence the outcomes in subtle ways. Fine line that we sometimes misjudged this year.

My question exactly when watching yesterday. Select batters up for Tennessee and Umps calling a strike when the catcher clearly brings the glove back over the plate or up over the plate from a low ball. Ump yesterday seemed to be doing a good job until late when ND took the lead

I had a great view and the ND guy was definitely in the zone, and also lurched forward. Inexcusable, but as I understand, the umpires on the field don’t make the review call. It is made by others off-site.
Yes. The ND player was clearly in the strike zone when hit, even though the pitch was a ball. Gilbert was not. I understand the human element, but they had the benefit of the replay.

I have played, coached, and watched a lot of baseball in my 55 years, but can someone with some baseball knowledge please explain to me how Gilbert getting hit Friday was any different from the ND player getting hit today? I mean both players were checking their swings, but the difference was the ND player was in the strike zone. Both calls were reviewable and both calls had a drastic impact on the game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the umps for the outcome of the series. The strike zone was "Effing horrible", but ND adjusted and we didn't. But those two calls were grossly inconsistent.
Biggest difference is ND Jersey vs Vols Jersey

I agree it was because of Drew's attitude while a the plate. I watched closely and never saw any ND players act the way he did, almost after every strike. FORGET what the call SHOULD have been. It was called a strike and no amount of disdain or cursing will change that.

Call us old codgers or whatever you want, but the umps appeared to be older than me and the last thing I want to deal with is young buck mouthing off at me at every turn, regardless of what anyone thinks of my job performance.

Coupled with the hat, the fur coat, the bat flips, etc. You'll never convince me that the umps didn't come into the game on edge because of Gilbert and Company's previous antics. You certainly won't be able to convince me that an Ump who is from an older generation than I am is going to be tolerant of those type attitudes, especially at this level and from this "new generation of kids".

It is a very subjective rule which makes it stupid. Drew looked to have just started his swing which made it look like he stuck his arm out. They should change the rule to if you are hbp by a ball over the plate it is a strike and everything else is hbp. Jmo of course

VN Store

Back