History question?

It's actually called the Rifleman logo.
I've always thought of him as Davy Crockett and I have no idea why lol. I've been a Vol for 35 years and I never knew he was known as The Rifleman.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one that's thought this. I feel like a complete idiot over here.

Last edited:
I've always thought of him as Davy Crockett and I have no idea why lol. I've been a Vol for 35 years and I never knew he was known as The Rifleman.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one that's thought this. I feel like a complete idiot over here.

Not a bad misinterpretation, he dresses like Davy and Davy was 'King of the Wild Frontier'. It was probably modeled after Davy and/or Boone. The sjw don't like it because he carries a gun so it's a great logo no matter what you call it.

It's Davy Crockett. If not for Davy, there would be no reason to be the Volunteers. The Rifleman is a lame moniker that some SJW pussy hung on it. Having said that, I prefer the interlock then the power T. The other logos were created to sell merchandise and I personally don't care for them.

UT really should revisit the area of usage now that A&M is in the conference. Use the Interlock at A&M away games.

You're good, Duncan. Davy Crockett, "Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee." That other fellow was The Rifleman.

Attachments

• Chuck Connors.JPG
    Chuck Connors.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm partial to the Power T myself. But I would like to see a design that includes the rifleman and the grey uniform concept. I wouldn't be my choice for the standard uniform, but to be used in a similar way as the grey uniforms with the Smoky Mountains that we have seen. I would actually love to see more of the grey uniform as a whole no matter the helmet design ( Smokies or the Rifleman). Nothing wrong with the good ole orange and white, but I like to see the team looking good in new uniforms and keeping up with the times and building new traditions as well as honoring the traditions of old.

I'm partial to the Power T myself. But I would like to see a design that includes the rifleman and the grey uniform concept. I wouldn't be my choice for the standard uniform, but to be used in a similar way as the grey uniforms with the Smoky Mountains that we have seen. I would actually love to see more of the grey uniform as a whole no matter the helmet design ( Smokies or the Rifleman). Nothing wrong with the good ole orange and white, but I like to see the team looking good in new uniforms and keeping up with the times and building new traditions as well as honoring the traditions of old.
I'd like to see a gray carbon fiber type helmet with orange decals to wear with the orange unis.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Vols/Lady Vols are blessed with iconic design. I feel bad for some of these kids at other schools where creativity and design skills are in short supply.

Some are just plain dumb:

Me to Bama fan: Why do you wear that godawful houndstooth? Someone's going to have a seizure looking at that.

Bama fan: Because, Bear Bryant wore houndstooth every day of his life and he loved it ever so much and I will have to fight you to protect his memory and maybe to dislodge one of your purty teeth for to make mine own so that I can open my sweet beautiful sister's Vienna sausages for her (maybe paraphrasing here).

Difficulty: Bear Bryant hated houndstooth and usually wore a checkered or plaid hat.

Checkers.JPG

Last edited:
Vols/Lady Vols are blessed with iconic design. I feel bad for some of these kids at other schools where creativity and design skills are in short supply.

Me to Bama fan: Why do you wear that godawful houndstooth? Someone's going to have a seizure looking at that.

Bama fan: Because, Bear Bryant wore houndstooth every day of his life and he loved it ever so much and I will have to fight you to protect his memory and maybe to dislodge one of your purty teeth for to make mine own so that I can open my sweet beautiful sister's Vienna sausages for her (maybe paraphrasing here).

Difficulty: Bear Bryant hated houndstooth and usually wore a checkered or plaid hat.

View attachment 208566

Houndstooth cracks me up in a lot of ways. Bama fans have embraced a cloth pattern that barely looks good as Motel 6 drapes, or really bad upholstery.

So bad that the show, "Trailer Park Boys" has a character that wears Houndstooth most of the time. The title of the show is a fitting metaphor for Houndstooth.

1560289381280.png

View attachment 208566
To be fair, Bama fans not too familiar with teeth, hound or otherwise

I'd like to see a gray carbon fiber type helmet with orange decals to wear with the orange unis.

Do you support Butch? Tennessee will reportedly no longer wear the 'smokey grey' alternate uniforms. ... Tennessee began wearing the smokey grey uniforms in 2013, during the first season of Butch Jones' tenure.

This is CJP’s team now.

Reactions: dduncan4163
The University separating the logos into classes (primary, secondary, admin, alumni, athletics, ect) also plays a big roll in what trademarks are used and when they are used.

I always found it odd that after the lawsuit and once Tennessee moved to the power T, Texas tried to move away from the interlocking UT too and started using the Block T.

I think this has something to do with it...
The University of Texas has reached a settlement with...

I think after the settlement in 1986 we started to push the power T

Thank you for the reliable source, mad4vols. Too lazy to really research it, I had accepted something else as factual. I had the impression we were the first to use it and actually had full ownership of the trademark for the logo. Then we had stupidly surrendered the UT logo to Texas without compensation of any sort. Not sure where I first read this but do recall also seeing it on the Utah State message board the year we most recently played them. So it's nice to see what the real story is, thanks.

Reactions: dduncan4163 and MAD
Thank you for the reliable source, mad4vols. Too lazy to really research it, I had accepted something else as factual. I had the impression we were the first to use it and actually had full ownership of the trademark for the logo. Then we had stupidly surrendered the UT logo to Texas without compensation of any sort. Not sure where I first read this but do recall also seeing it on the Utah State message board the year we most recently played them. So it's nice to see what the real story is, thanks.
That's pretty much how I get my info too. From some guy on a message board who thought he heard something in the 90's

View attachment 208566

Actually, Bryant wore different hats. He got a new one as a yearly gift from then New York Jets owner Sonny Werblin as a "thank you" for advising Joe Namath to sign with the AFL. Even after he sold the team, Werblin continued to send the hats. They varied from, plaid to checked to herringbone to, especially near the end of his life, houndstooth.

ncf_g_bryant_195.jpg

While he didn't wear it "every day of his life," you are wrong when you say that "he hated houndstooth."

VN Store

Back