Hiroshima plus 70 years: "Thank God for the Atomic Bomb"

Reading LeMay’s bio, he sounds like the inspiration for Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove. He wanted to bomb Cuba during the CMC and even invade Cuba after the deescalation. He thought that ICBs were “toys”. To top it off he was Wallace’s running mate in 1968. Not an old war dog whose ideas needed to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: EasternVol
I've heard over the years that the decision to drop the bomb over Japan was in part racially motivated. The argument that it wasn't dropped over our caucasian brothers in Germany was their proof. After reading and finding the egregious treatment of the POW's i.e. Louie Zamperini etal I would hazard to say that the real motivation was retribution for that behavior. Thanks OMG for another foray into the history of WWII

Obviously you didn't read the post...
  • Major General Curtis LeMay, 21st Bomber Command: “The war would have been over in two weeks without the Russians entering and without the atomic bomb…The atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”

LeMay also said that the war in Europe could be won with bombers only. I wouldn’t put much stock into his comments.

I've heard over the years that the decision to drop the bomb over Japan was in part racially motivated. The argument that it wasn't dropped over our caucasian brothers in Germany was their proof. After reading and finding the egregious treatment of the POW's i.e. Louie Zamperini etal I would hazard to say that the real motivation was retribution for that behavior. Thanks OMG for another foray into the history of WWII

Maybe a bigger part was because the Germans didn’t attack Pearl Harbor.

Maybe a bigger part was because the Germans didn’t attack Pearl Harbor.
And even though they didn't know much about radiation dangers as we do now, they knew enough to know nuking in the middle of Europe put all the Allies in danger. Versus an isolated island chain

VN Store

Back