Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Just broke down and got this in Manchester at Sportsman Corner. Helluva selection and a sale going on now.

It’s a 3 waters fishing kayak.

I think we’re going to hike at rainbow lake on signal Mt again this weekend. Will try to make it to mushroom rock.

Yeah, that’s where I float. Fishing isn’t so hot tho.

I've fished it once and caught really nice smallmouth..... it was almost black all over. I've never seen one quite like it.

When I was a kid my grandparents lived on Cascade Hollow rd. and Cascade creek flowed right through their property. We used to wade all the way down to where it dumps into the Duck. There were two other creeks that joined it right before it hit the river. We used to catch a ton of fish out of there.

I've fished it once and caught really nice smallmouth..... it was almost black all over. I've never seen one quite like it.

When I was a kid my grandparents lived on Cascade Hollow rd. and Cascade creek flowed right through their property. We used to wade all the way down to where it dumps into the Duck. There were two other creeks that joined it right before it hit the river. We used to catch a ton of fish out of there.

There’s mostly trout because the hatchery is just below the dam and some black perch (red eye). There’s good fishing closer and below the dam in Shelbyville. Gotta be careful around that area tho, lots of bad ass air boats will scare you.

There’s mostly trout because the hatchery is just below the dam and some black perch (red eye). There’s good fishing closer and below the dam in Shelbyville. Gotta be careful around that area tho, lots of bad ass air boats will scare you.

I floated from the dam past Courtners mill and got out at the next bridge. I was a decent trip..... caught red eye and the on nice smallie.
I'd like to do a different stretch of the Duck sometime. I've never done the Buffalo either.
There are a lot of places I want to check out... I want to float the Obey from Dale Hollow dam down to where it hits the Cumberland. It's about a 6 mile stretch. Right below the dam the Obey is crystal clear and you can see the bottom at 15 ft

Maine North Woods... vacationed there many years. It is a wilderness area, and not a lot of folks get that far and deep into the woods... which makes that a special place. Stayed at a log cabin camp and fished, hiked and enjoyed being off the grid for a week.

These photos show a trek I took... started with charting a course from a remote lake, through the bush ending up at the far end of the main lake that the camp was on. There I had a kayak spotted for me to paddle back to camp. The course was ~10 miles total and took me 5-6 hrs to complete.

I started right after a hearty breakfast and had the camp owner fly me to the remote lake where I started using my compass and GPS to find my way points through the woods.

Near the end of the trek I hit a logging road and found a host of animals (Locals)... the bush trek was pretty intense, tons of thick brush and deadfalls, so, the local residents liked to hang around the old logging roads.

The moose below had a strong curiosity towards me and initially I was stalking it to get some photos, the moose saw me and came right to me, ears pinned, hair on its back raised and gave me the bad eye... it was going to come at me... so, I cycled through a series of defensive moves. Talking, waving arms, tossing an apple core at it, and finally picked rock from the logging road and tossed it at its feet. That broke its fixation on me and it turned and ran back down the road and into the bush.. Pretty sweet encounter. When it came to within 25 feet of me, I put I camera into movie mode and captured our encounter. Generally, I always see where the moose gets a lick or two in before it moves on. Not this guy, I was lucky I think.

Starting point at the camp....
GSoIpN0.jpg

Flyin...
uSQJiNI.jpg

Drop off point at remote lake...
xbByfss.jpg

Setting my course...
RMR3RNk.jpg

Shcrooms...
qPPk2ON.jpg

Nice falls...
jNKutqd.jpg

Locals...
gKGV1bW.jpg

nTWBG5X.jpg

7cgx3KO.jpg

Kayak trip back to camp...
CkeK8jl.jpg

A week in the North Maine Woods does wonders for your soul... just a great place to get away.

Iceland this February. Did some hiking and saw some waterfalls but no pics of that on my phone. So here are some of a couple of other spots we walked. Black sand beaches were incredible.

Attachments

• 20180228_123714_Film3.jpg
    20180228_123714_Film3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180301_070631_Film3.jpg
    20180301_070631_Film3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
More

Attachments

• 20180227_133923_Film3.jpg
    20180227_133923_Film3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180301_070213_Film3.jpg
    20180301_070213_Film3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 2 people
Iceland this February. Did some hiking and saw some waterfalls but no pics of that on my phone. So here are some of a couple of other spots we walked. Black sand beaches were incredible.

Nice!

Iceland in February? What a man..I couldn't handle that.

Eagle River, AK

Argh. On phone, keep choosing wrong ones. I’ll have better ones later.

Attachments

• C0D3D626-9FCE-4D08-93CE-F5DE565D4F0E.jpg
    C0D3D626-9FCE-4D08-93CE-F5DE565D4F0E.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 90AB5DE0-B812-48A4-A65D-BD8A79D66952.jpg
    90AB5DE0-B812-48A4-A65D-BD8A79D66952.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Eagle River, AK

Argh. On phone, keep choosing wrong ones. I’ll have better ones later.

Tums, isn't this the area where the ocean flooded in after the earth quake of 63?

Did you make it to Denali?

Tums, isn't this the area where the ocean flooded in after the earth quake of 63?

Did you make it to Denali?

I don’t think so. This is a littlenortheast of Anchorage. Apparently whole neighborhoods in Anchorage fell into the water.

I did not really make it north. I kept it pretty south of Anchorage. A local man was mauled to death by a bear in Eagle River a couple of days after hiking there. Though he was more south from where I was.

Whittier, Byron Glacier in Portage Valley (A woman was just killed there when a snow cave fell on her, I had walked all over that...), Seward, the Russian River area, Homer, etc.

VN Store

Back