Hiker found alive after 2 weeks!

volmanbill

The future is bright
Staff member
HONOLULU (KHON2) - After being missing for two weeks, Maui hiker Amanda Eller has been found, says her father.

According to a findamanda Facebook post, she was found injured in a ravine in the forest.

Eller did not have serious injuries and was air evacuated.The hiker went missing on Wednesday, May 8, 2019.

Missing Maui hiker Amanda Eller has been found alive, says dad

Amazing

That's really awesome, truly... but it seems like in two weeks you could walk all the way across Maui.
No kidding, I was thinking the same thing. Seems like if you just pick a direction and start moving, it shouldn't be too long before you came across civilization in Hawaii.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
I'm happy this ended on a good note for this 35 year old lady. No socks & no shoes plus w/a fracture in one of her legs she was lucky to have been spotted by a rescue helicopter in a remote area.

No kidding, I was thinking the same thing. Seems like if you just pick a direction and start moving, it shouldn't be too long before you came across civilization in Hawaii.

They found her in a stream, just follow the water?? I am assuming she could not walk effectively.

They found her in a stream, just follow the water?? I am assuming she could not walk effectively.

She had an accident about 8 days in and wasn’t able to walk much after that. Still, I’m puzzled what she was doing prior to that. The Wilderness she was hiking in is only 3 sq miles. Even if you double or triple that total area assuming she wandered off the protected area, you should still be able to hike your way out. I’m glad that she was found alive but perhaps she in emotional distress when she first vanished and avoided rescuers early on.

Reactions: Vol737
I find myself cynical of these stories now. That’s sad I suppose but people seem to be willing to do anything if it translates to more clicks, likes, or views.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
She had an accident about 8 days in and wasn’t able to walk much after that. Still, I’m puzzled what she was doing prior to that. The Wilderness she was hiking in is only 3 sq miles. Even if you double or triple that total area assuming she wandered off the protected area, you should still be able to hike your way out. I’m glad that she was found alive but perhaps she in emotional distress when she first vanished and avoided rescuers early on.
Not sure if applies here but for some reason walking in a straight direction in the wilderness is almost impossible. Have to not panic and use sunrise etc..
Some show I watched where they turned amateurs lose in a confined wilderness, the people continually ended up going in circles. And they weren't even panicked because it was a controlled environment.

Or maybe that doesn't apply whatsoever here, idk.

Agree. Probably has some mental issues

So you think this woman did this on purpose. Broke her tibia for likes? Interesting theory.
I don’t think she purposely hurt herself no. Just surprised a woman (or anyone really) would do something alone in the woods and not take a phone or anything.

Not sure if applies here but for some reason walking in a straight direction in the wilderness is almost impossible. Have to not panic and use sunrise etc..
Some show I watched where they turned amateurs lose in a confined wilderness, the people continually ended up going in circles. And they weren't even panicked because it was a controlled environment.

Or maybe that doesn't apply whatsoever here, idk.

This is strangely true...and right handed people turn right like 80 or 90% of the time when they come to an obstacle and have to change course. So people just keep walking around in circles to their right...crazy.

I despise what has happened to the boyscouts, but am glad i was a scout. Iearned many things i use frequently, as well as how to survive in the outdoors. Men need to know how to navigate, tie knots, etc

VN Store

Back