Hidden Keys to Victory: Pitt

aaronvol

Every week I like to discuss what everyone believes are "Hidden Keys" to victory. These are things no one is really mentioning but that you have considered important for the victory against Pitt. So, everyone is talking Milton (that means it's off the list). So, what are yours? What are you seeing?

Mine: I think it will be Defense. Juwan Mitchell and Jeremy Banks in the passing game. Can they cover that mid-range/slant game that Pitt uses effectively.

DL is the key. Specifically, if they can impede the Panthers' 6' 6" TE as I believe he will be their key player. If we can't, he will kill our DBs over and over like that big WR BGSU had a few years back. We won that game because of overall talent alone. However, Panthers have plenty to prowl and stalk us alongside the big guy. But if our front 4 or 5 can stymie the TE's effectiveness at the LOS, I do believe Panthera species will be trapped and skinned. I think we will start out double-teaming him, thus increasing our chances of eating their QB as a hors de vours.

I well hope for a really good pass rush from our d-line. I think they can handle to run just wonder about the pass rush.

Every week I like to discuss what everyone believes are "Hidden Keys" to victory. These are things no one is really mentioning but that you have considered important for the victory against Pitt. So, everyone is talking Milton (that means it's off the list). So, what are yours? What are you seeing?

Mine: I think it will be Defense. Juwan Mitchell and Jeremy Banks in the passing game. Can they cover that mid-range/slant game that Pitt uses effectively.
Hidden Keys to Victory: Availability of Tiyon Evans and Byron Young !:)

I’d throw in the kicking game, as well. Always an important phase and even more important in basically a even matchup....it should play a major part in this game.

Several have said it, our OL protecting the QB and opening running lanes, as well as our DL pressuring Pitt's QB and stopping the run. If our D front 7 can control the line of scrimmage, get penetration while plugging running lanes it will be a long day for the Panthers.

A great comment by @Pacer92 . . . special teams!!

GBO - beat Pitt!!

Last edited:
My hidden key is under a fake rock by the front door.

Seriously, though thanks to @aaronvol for starting this thread. It's a good place for sound, rationale fans to discuss and look for things that we don't typically look towards in games.

Mine would be like many others have said: O-Line needs to protect the QB and be bale to open running lanes early. One other thing I have is our transfer FG Kicker, McGrath...this game could very well come down to an extra point here or there or a FG made or missed. He needs to be spot on this week.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Biggest problem will be covering the TE.
They’re going to spread Tennessee out and hit the holes.
We can absolutely get pressure with 4
We’ll need to pick up the blitzer better
Theo will be covering the TE I would assume. I wanna see him knock the heck out of him every time.

Reactions: Beagle Bill
The strength of Pitt’s D is the line and secondary. We have to establish a good run game and get our line to the second level so we can keep them guessing run/pass. If they shut down the run, we’re screwed

Reactions: memtownvol
I got Pitt winning 30-16. Milton will not be able to get it done and our defense will tire out and get gashed. All the players and depth we lost from last year will really show tomm. It’s gonna be a long year 4-8 or 3-9 season but Heupel needs 4 full seasons to try and get it turned around.

The strength of Pitt’s D is the line and secondary. We have to establish a good run game and get our line to the second level so we can keep them guessing run/pass. If they shut down the run, we’re screwed
From what I have heard from their people is it's the DL and LB and the secondary is not a strength. They play tight coverage and hold alot. They are worried about them losing battles downfield more than anything. We spread them out and still run on them quite a bit I think. Tennessee just needs to worry about Tennessee and we will be fine, Pitt is going down!!!!! GBO!!!!!

VN Store

Back