Hidden Keys to the Game

aaronvol

So, for the last couple of years I have posted this little thread to get ideas from Volnation about things no one else is talking about. I will try it again this year. It is about HIDDEN KEYS. Something no one is really talking about but you are thinking about. For example: A hidden key to the game would NOT be: Will JG take a step forward? That is beating a dead horse. So, my hidden key to this years game against USC jr. is as follows...

Jaylen McCollough and new safeties will be tested early and often. Last year the gamecocks scored on their first play as Nigel Warrior took a bad angle and gave up a 75 yd TD score. I think Bobo attacks our young safeties to see how they respond in their first starts. If it goes well, Tennessee's D will shut down USC's passing game. If not, Tennessee will be making more adjustments before we want to. Haven't heard this yet...so let's see what happens.

So, for the last couple of years I have posted this little thread to get ideas from Volnation about things no one else is talking about. I will try it again this year. It is about HIDDEN KEYS. Something no one is really talking about but you are thinking about. For example: A hidden key to the game would NOT be: Will JG take a step forward? That is beating a dead horse. So, my hidden key to this years game against USC jr. is as follows...

Jaylen McCollough and new safeties will be tested early and often. Last year the gamecocks scored on their first play as Nigel Warrior took a bad angle and gave up a 75 yd TD score. I think Bobo attacks our young safeties to see how they respond in their first starts. If it goes well, Tennessee's D will shut down USC's passing game. If not, Tennessee will be making more adjustments before we want to. Haven't heard this yet...so let's see what happens.

I was going to post a hidden key to the game but...I can't find it.

To go along with your key OP, I think a not so hidden key to the game is QB pressure. If our D-line can get pressure (even hurries) on the QB then our young DB's will be fine. I do not think this QB will be able to move much out of the pocket with his past injury issues and that will give the D-line more opportunity to make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket.

One thing I think a lot of people are overlooking is that even though USCe might be having some shuffling / controversy at QB, RB, and WR their O Line has been together as a unit for a couple of years now and if they can keep our D from pressuring whoever is at QB we might be in for a long day.

Reactions: 08Vol and VolBricks
How about a not-hidden key that will be a non-key:

Usually holding a team to 3 yards or less on first down rushes is an obvious key. Against SCar I think our D will have good stats against the rush on first downs. BUT...

Because of our suspect pass rush and youth at safety, we may have trouble getting off the field after 3rd-and-longs.

So if we can hold SCar to under 35% conversion rate on 3rd and +8 yards... I like our chances.

So, for the last couple of years I have posted this little thread to get ideas from Volnation about things no one else is talking about. I will try it again this year. It is about HIDDEN KEYS.....
Man, the hidden keys are all over the place ... and those keys produce really weird outcomes ... see Locke & Key ... my key is ... The Bloodpressure cuff ... if it swells up during the game ... means Muschamp is about to blow a gasket. :^)

One minor key is can our WRs get quick separation at the line of scrimmage, if USCjr is playing press man, and run precise routes, hopefully making QB decision making much faster and easier.

Just my $0.02 . . .

GBO - beat the Gamecocks!!

To go along with your point and add a pun, this guy is gonna get some burn. I have very high hopes for this guy to ball out
C3FEFED7-27A1-4196-9749-650E93128729.jpeg

Got 2:

Busted coverages / wrong routes - the team with the fewest "communication errors" will be at a great advantage.

Unforced penalties - who comes out disciplined vs who has 100 yards worth of procedure offsides penalties

UT's starting safeties have not started but they're hardly inexperienced. Agree with the poster who spoke about pressure. UT needs to control the LOS and collapse the pocket.

On the other side, it's the run game. Can UT's OL live up to the hype? Maybe even more specifically, can Kennedy and Smith dominate the game?

I didn’t remember them scoring on the first play. This game can’t start worse. I’m encouraged. Ha.

1. The Oline plays to their potential.
2. The defense front 7 can create pressure and be disruptive while limiting the run.

We play good in these areas, we be golden!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
We were 2-4 last season when we turn the ball over 2 or more times. I don’t guess that’s a hidden one, everyone knows it. Hope we can improve on that one this year.

6-1 in games we turned the ball over once or less.
Just curious, which game did we lose where we turned it over once or less?

71LYkhTvGCL._AC_SY606_.jpg

VN Store

Back