Hidden Keys: Georgia

aaronvol

Greetings and Go Vols! Tomorrow we enter the belly of the beast. This will be a really difficult game either win or lose, however I am hopeful for the Vols to give a fantastic showing. Remember...this is HIDDEN keys. Not the obvious keys to the game but ones you haven't heard anyone in the media talking about, or what friends are saying. I want something unusual to consider. So, for me it is simply this. Can our RB's block well? We need to buy Hook just another half second in the passing game for it to be successful. We...have all mentioned our OL vs. their DL, but I want to know if Tiyon and Jabari can stick those DT's for just a second. Also...I want a split backfield. Two RB's to keep those DE's honest and LB's eyes to the outside. There you go...

Yours?

Reactions: OneVolNation
Greetings and Go Vols! Tomorrow we enter the belly of the beast. This will be a really difficult game either win or lose, however I am hopeful for the Vols to give a fantastic showing. Remember...this is HIDDEN keys. Not the obvious keys to the game but ones you haven't heard anyone in the media talking about, or what friends are saying. I want something unusual to consider. So, for me it is simply this. Can our RB's block well? We need to buy Hook just another half second in the passing game for it to be successful. We...have all mentioned our OL vs. their DL, but I want to know if Tiyon and Jabari can stick those DT's for just a second. Also...I want a split backfield. Two RB's to keep those DE's honest and LB's eyes to the outside. There you go...

Yours?
You essentially do have two rbs in the backfield with Hooker and whoever is beside him.

Georgia is the best team we have faced so far this season without question.

Basically, we have to play a near perfect game and they have to make a lot of mistakes for us to keep it close.

Hidden Key: Special Teams Blocking

Reactions: OneVolNation
I think a hidden key might be a special teams play. Our special teams coach is legit, if we can get one (or maybe 2) possessions\scores\turnovers from our ST play we could have just enough. I'm thinking onside kick to start a half type stuff.

Which Tenn special teams shows up.

Bennett is mobile but is he mature enough (for lack of a better term) to scramble for success on those 3rd and longs or will he sit and potentially force passes?

With UGAly's "weakness" being pass D and Tenn's strength being pass O, will the Dawgs respect the pass to not get beat and give UT chance to run or knowing UTs OL is inconsistent will they bring the house often to put a hurting on Hooker?

Will Banks blitz more knowing the last few games haven't worked anyway?

Which Tenn special teams shows up.

Bennett is mobile but is he mature enough (for lack of a better term) to scramble for success on those 3rd and longs or will he sit and potentially force passes?

With UGAly's "weakness" being pass D and Tenn's strength being pass O, will the Dawgs respect the pass to not get beat and give UT chance to run or knowing UTs OL is inconsistent will they bring the house often to put a hurting on Hooker?

Will Banks blitz more knowing the last few games haven't worked anyway?
I don't think Tennessee can afford to stay in base all game. They're better than UK who killed our base defense. They will have to disguise how they blitz this team though. They have enough skill to get behind you and burn you.

Ok, I like this thread and I've been considering a similar line of thought, so I'll throw out a couple of notions outside the box:
1) Win the coin toss and take the ball first, then on first play fake the WR screen and just loft it down the sidelines for a TD. I've been watching their corners and they play really tight up against the WRs out wide, and take pride in doing so. This could easily work, but see #2.
2). Hendo will need to take 2 steps back and loft/fire the ball to a predetermined spot on many of the passing plays. And pray our guy gets there first. There will be no time to look off a defender, or to search for 2nd or 3rd receiver option. He will have to deliver passes within no more than 2 seconds all day long.
3) Hopefully, we have practiced a couple of unusual onside kicking techniques to steal a possession from them. If so, I'd try it twice tomorrow.
4). Roll Hooker out and let him throw on the move OR choose to run. This must be done often tomorrow I believe.
5). Throw to TE's as often as we dare.
6). Do NOT have everyone run away from Hooker.....by this I mean, give him a short "hot" read on nearly every play. I hate sacks where the QB has no short option because every receiver has run long and far away.
7). Score first and let crowd noise actually effect Stetson and LOS and get some "free" penalties from the confusion.
8) Block a punt. Get turnovers any way you can.

Yours?
Get in their faces. I'm sick of the cushion and bend but don't break defense. I'm tired of seeing 6-7 on the d line and qb/rb running up the middle.

Offensively we need to be creative. The bubble screens and run up the middle will not work against this defense.

Yours?
Honest answer: For Tennessee to win, you have to hold like crazy and not get called. Against UK, the refs let everything go. People were bear hugging our d-linemen. It worked, for a while. If the refs let you hold, that gives Hooker time to light up our young secondary.

Get mean......get mad dog mean. If the Vols want it more, they will take it away from them.

I think a hidden key might be a special teams play. Our special teams coach is legit, if we can get one (or maybe 2) possessions\scores\turnovers from our ST play we could have just enough. I'm thinking onside kick to start a half type stuff.

Either get points or get great field position from special teams plays…and keep Georgia playing on a long field. Field position and kicking game. And of course, no turnovers for us and hopefully get a couple takeaways.

I am hoping that coach Huepel already has the hidden key locked away in that brain of his.

Maybe not necessarily hidden, but IMO the # 1 thing is the defense getting off the field on 3rd downs.

VN Store

Back