Hi - Bye and Season 2024

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Just dropping in before dropping out again. Watched our Vols through the 2023 season, and here's my take.

Observation - OL It was quite decent, more often than not. Despite having missing pieces off and on during the season. Unless the transfer port al provides serious replacements for departing seniors, the line will exhibit less consistency than this season. But will not be a total disaster, because our OL coach is better than he's credit for.

Observation - DL. We rely on the blitz a bit too much, but the boys were good at it. That despite repeated failures to finish pursuits with to the ground tackles. I'm not sure if it all due to poor tackling effort, not being effectively taught, the uniform fabrics using slicker material, probably both. I suspect some is the boys' over-focus on ripping the ball from the carrier than getting the man down.

Observation - Receivers. They dropped too many balls. Some due to not looking the ball in, but turning eyes away before the ball is secured. Bama and Florida games come to mind. Thus were less sure-handed. Added to that, they did poorer in 2023 than 2022 in getting separation.

Observation - DBs. Get rid of Martinez! Get a DB coach that knows how to teach his DBs to look for the ball. Disclaimer: I am 10 gallon bucket of ignorance about coaching DBs. So take the following as you see fit. With or without a shovel of grainy or powdered Sodium chloride.

Time and again, I could predict where the ball was comingin by looking at the receivers' shoulders. And his body language. Time again, I was right. Now, to be fair, I'm looking via the benefit of a large screen TV. I'm not on the field where the view is distinctively different. Just the same, our boys rarely look for the ball when chasing a receiver, so get torched and outright arson sizzled far too often. Get a DB coach that teaches ball hawking, and that included reading the receivers' body language to anticipate where the ball is coming, and beat the receiver to it. Martinez was at the UT before with De-Doody, and his DBs had the same issue, iirc. From the college or pro ranks, go after a coach known for producing aggressive DBs who live to humiliate receivers. Martinez isn't it.

Observation - QB. Joe is better than the neg-negs want to believe. He's not Hooker. If you look fairly at him, he has the ability to put the ball exactly where it should go. I suspect he has two primary issues. One, he has been severely criticized his whole career. Thus, plays with a degree of timidity. Practically afraid to death of making mistakes and being brain batted yet again. Two, I think he has been playing hurt for a while, but hiding it so he's not taken off the role of starting QB, again. If you look at him closely, the knee with the brace, he sort of favors it. The Vandy game, his, “I'm fine” ruse got revealed with that rolling around in the end zone after his second TD. Watch carefully, you see him briefly reach and hold the braced knee. Still, he's no Hooker. But if he gets in a system with elite receivers and a decent OL, I believe he will prove to be a better pro QB than he was a college QB.

Observation - Bowl Game. I suspect we will have a rematch with NC State. A welcome break for our boys to play in a sun and fun location. Or Duke, since the bowl is in a recruit rich area, we often get good results. So, I'm leaning Duke, as we travel well and speaks louder to NC area recruit targets. However, don't be surprised if Dabo lobbies and gets a Vols bowl rematch. I almost hope he does, but don't think it's happening.

Speculation - 2024 season. I'm neck stretching bold in this. Nico's potential will result if several high profile HS and portal receivers coming in. He will have an elite or near elite receiver corps.

This might not mean much unless the coaches go hard core on the portal for DL, and the same for recruits from the pipeline producing HS recruits that usually go to Bama and Georgia. Now, sticking out my stretched neck.

Non-Conference Schedule

Chattanooga - UT 38 - Mocs 16
Nico's first full game anxiety.

N.C. State - UT 30 - Canis Lupus 26
Mainly due to stupid penalties by the defense

Kent State - UT 51 - Flashes, Flashed 12
First quarter scare for the Vols as KS goes 12 up. Then Nico & Co. Go to work.

UTEP - UT 48 - 28
Like Kent Ste, Miners strike gold in 1st Qtr. Hold a 22 - 20 lead into the 3rd Qtr, even have a safety. But my dog called me a liar and insisted it will be due to a successful two point conversion. Anyway, atthis point Nico is playing with greater confidence.

Alabama - UT - 12 Red Algae Bloom 20
We lose a defensive struggle.

Florida - UT 31 - Lizard Men 26
We win a defensive struggle.

Kentucky - UT 33 - Feral Felines 21
Stoops puts together a defense unit that means business.

Mississippi State - UT 46 - 10
The bulldogs mistaken themselves for Georgia.

Oklahoma - UT 26 - Land Cheats 41
Sigh, their defense is all over Nico.

Vanderbilt - UT 61 - Commies 20
Due to Heup letting the 2nd and 3rd stringers by Qtr 3.

Arkansas - UT 21 - Feral Hogs - 16
Disgustingly sloppy game. No excuse.

Georgia - UT 22 - Slobbering Mutts 38
For 3.5 Qtrs, we hang around. But sloppy errors condemn us.

See you folks in the fall, maybe. Depends on how far along I get in my project. The cracked crystal ball is silent. But the dog whined in protest. I won't pay him any mind, as it is very near his snack time, so he might be whining for his snack. Plus, he doesn't speak English very well anyway. Especially when chewing his beef hide knotted chew bone snack.

This whole season depended on whether Milton would play to his potential. If he did, then we would be elite, if not then average.

We ended up 8-4 with him playing average. The only loss that really stings is the Florida game. For Bama, the refs weren’t going to let them lose.

Reactions: VolDave53
Actually most of our sacks and pressure came from our front four rotation.

Just dropping in before dropping out again. Watched our Vols through the 2023 season, and here's my take.

Observation - OL It was quite decent, more often than not. Despite having missing pieces off and on during the season. Unless the transfer port al provides serious replacements for departing seniors, the line will exhibit less consistency than this season. But will not be a total disaster, because our OL coach is better than he's credit for.

Observation - DL. We rely on the blitz a bit too much, but the boys were good at it. That despite repeated failures to finish pursuits with to the ground tackles. I'm not sure if it all due to poor tackling effort, not being effectively taught, the uniform fabrics using slicker material, probably both. I suspect some is the boys' over-focus on ripping the ball from the carrier than getting the man down.

Observation - Receivers. They dropped too many balls. Some due to not looking the ball in, but turning eyes away before the ball is secured. Bama and Florida games come to mind. Thus were less sure-handed. Added to that, they did poorer in 2023 than 2022 in getting separation.

Observation - DBs. Get rid of Martinez! Get a DB coach that knows how to teach his DBs to look for the ball. Disclaimer: I am 10 gallon bucket of ignorance about coaching DBs. So take the following as you see fit. With or without a shovel of grainy or powdered Sodium chloride.

Time and again, I could predict where the ball was comingin by looking at the receivers' shoulders. And his body language. Time again, I was right. Now, to be fair, I'm looking via the benefit of a large screen TV. I'm not on the field where the view is distinctively different. Just the same, our boys rarely look for the ball when chasing a receiver, so get torched and outright arson sizzled far too often. Get a DB coach that teaches ball hawking, and that included reading the receivers' body language to anticipate where the ball is coming, and beat the receiver to it. Martinez was at the UT before with De-Doody, and his DBs had the same issue, iirc. From the college or pro ranks, go after a coach known for producing aggressive DBs who live to humiliate receivers. Martinez isn't it.

Observation - QB. Joe is better than the neg-negs want to believe. He's not Hooker. If you look fairly at him, he has the ability to put the ball exactly where it should go. I suspect he has two primary issues. One, he has been severely criticized his whole career. Thus, plays with a degree of timidity. Practically afraid to death of making mistakes and being brain batted yet again. Two, I think he has been playing hurt for a while, but hiding it so he's not taken off the role of starting QB, again. If you look at him closely, the knee with the brace, he sort of favors it. The Vandy game, his, “I'm fine” ruse got revealed with that rolling around in the end zone after his second TD. Watch carefully, you see him briefly reach and hold the braced knee. Still, he's no Hooker. But if he gets in a system with elite receivers and a decent OL, I believe he will prove to be a better pro QB than he was a college QB.

Observation - Bowl Game. I suspect we will have a rematch with NC State. A welcome break for our boys to play in a sun and fun location. Or Duke, since the bowl is in a recruit rich area, we often get good results. So, I'm leaning Duke, as we travel well and speaks louder to NC area recruit targets. However, don't be surprised if Dabo lobbies and gets a Vols bowl rematch. I almost hope he does, but don't think it's happening.

Speculation - 2024 season. I'm neck stretching bold in this. Nico's potential will result if several high profile HS and portal receivers coming in. He will have an elite or near elite receiver corps.

This might not mean much unless the coaches go hard core on the portal for DL, and the same for recruits from the pipeline producing HS recruits that usually go to Bama and Georgia. Now, sticking out my stretched neck.

Non-Conference Schedule

UTEP - UT 48 - 28
Like Kent Ste, Miners strike gold in 1st Qtr. Hold a 22 - 20 lead into the 3rd Qtr, even have a safety. But my dog called me a liar and insisted it will be due to a successful two point conversion. Anyway, atthis point Nico is playing with greater confidence.

See you folks in the fall, maybe. Depends on how far along I get in my project. The cracked crystal ball is silent. But the dog whined in protest. I won't pay him any mind, as it is very near his snack time, so he might be whining for his snack. Plus, he doesn't speak English very well anyway. Especially when chewing his beef hide knotted chew bone snack.
I fast forwarded to your QB observation and stopped reading everything else you had to write after your first sentence.

If you can’t figure it out from the last 6 years of Tennessee football—the QB position is important. You have a liability at QB—you lose games. That’s what happened this year. Please either switch fandoms or try using brain.

If you look fairly at him, he has the ability to put the ball exactly where it should go. I suspect he has two primary issues. One, he has been severely criticized his whole career. Thus, plays with a degree of timidity. Practically afraid to death of making mistakes and being brain batted yet again.

I think it's unbelievable to blame his play on external criticism. The idea that all the late throws, the off target throws, or the throws behind the receiver, etc., are caused (in part or in whole) by criticism is incredibly hard to swallow. I think some of the other explanations are far more likely, even if they seem unkind or less flattering.

Non-Conference Schedule

UTEP - UT 48 - 28

You mention negavols but your novel is full of negativity. And predicting next season results now is pointless, pretty much like your post

VN Store

Back