Heupel's Monday Presser

I’ll say our first offensive drive was damn near perfect. After that we were hot garbage. I don’t know if Florida made defensive adjustments we weren’t ready for or we had a bunch of guys who got cocky after seeing how easy it was to score the first time we got the ball, but something’s not adding up.
I wonder if the first series was scripted and Joe was completely at ease?

Reactions: BisonVol and GAVol
Deep down, I don’t think any of us expect to beat Bama or Georgia yet. Last year was a pleasant surprise with Bama and we’ll take it. Beating Florida, on the other hand, IS expected. There is absolutely no reason at all why we lost to Florida, especially this year’s Florida. This loss is 100% on Heupel and nobody else. It’s his job to get his team motivated to play and have the right game plan. It was an epic failure for both. I think the terrible offensive play calling stood out more than anything, even the poor defensive play. I will not accept the excuse that it’s Milton, the online or lack of players. $9m says it’s CJH’s job to figure it out. Either get creative and come up with a game plan that works or develop and use players who get the job done. The tone, the game plan and the play calling was on par with Pruitt, Butch and friends. If we are going to get to the next level, beating Florida is a requirement. Get it done coach. No more excuses. You do NOT lose to this Florida team, period!!!!

Deep down, I don’t think any of us expect to beat Bama or Georgia yet. Last year was a pleasant surprise with Bama and we’ll take it. Beating Florida, on the other hand, IS expected. There is absolutely no reason at all why we lost to Florida, especially this year’s Florida. This loss is 100% on Heupel and nobody else. It’s his job to get his team motivated to play and have the right game plan. It was an epic failure for both. I think the terrible offensive play calling stood out more than anything, even the poor defensive play. I will not accept the excuse that it’s Milton, the online or lack of players. $9m says it’s CJH’s job to figure it out. Either get creative and come up with a game plan that works or develop and use players who get the job done. The tone, the game plan and the play calling was on par with Pruitt, Butch and friends. If we are going to get to the next level, beating Florida is a requirement. Get it done coach. No more excuses. You do NOT lose to this Florida team, period!!!!

Get coach a new pack of gum and let's get this train rolling, men!

I personally believe heupel was trying to play the conservative game in regards to our offense and realized after the 1st we had to get on the ball and it was to late. I think he was trying to get through the first part of the season without showing our full hand so that we have plays that the bigger opponents haven’t seen yet.

I personally believe heupel was trying to play the conservative game in regards to our offense and realized after the 1st we had to get on the ball and it was to late. I think he was trying to get through the first part of the season without showing our full hand so that we have plays that the bigger opponents haven’t seen yet.
If that is the case, I blame Heupel even more. If he doesn’t know about the history of this series, that this is the most important game to win and to use any and every means possible (aggressive play calling) then he REALLY has a lot to learn.

No chance in Hades that this is true.

I am going to stop you right there and say that Florida played pretty well, given its limitaitons in certain areas. I'm not remotely saying that UT did, or that both teams were in top form as that was not the case. But it would be inaccurate to say that UF this past Saturday was even remotely as disheveled as they were at Utah.
Figured it went without saying "until this past weekend."

Doesn't change the fact that Florida isn't a good team this year.

Winning on the road is very difficult, period. A team gets inside the 20 yard line and communication had better be visual, not aural.

Do you think any team wants to play Tennessee at home?

Same thing applies to the Swamp and that's why I think UGA agrees to play UF only in Jacksonville.

I live in Georgia and proudly wear my Tennessee hat everyday, I live in a neighborhood full of Georgia fans and not one of them said a word about the game to me when I was out talking to them yesterday. That’s what I mean when I say we are not who we think we are, no one was suprised or made any comment. We had one good year in 20 years and we are all the sudden supposed to be contenders every year. We are expected to lose any big game by most fan bases outside of our own delusion.
I live not far from Athens, I have not heard the first murmur regarding us getting spanked by Florida by a UGA fan, truth is its expected at this point! The only person was an Alabama fan and he was bemoaning the train wreck they have in Tuscaloosa, wasn’t sure which team is most underperforming! Bottom line until we start Dominating the games we should and start winning a few we shouldn’t , that will always be the perception!

Reactions: JGS III
I live not far from Athens, I have not heard the first murmur regarding us getting spanked by Florida by a UGA fan, truth is its expected at this point! The only person was an Alabama fan and he was bemoaning the train wreck they have in Tuscaloosa, wasn’t sure which team is most underperforming! Bottom line until we start Dominating the games we should and start winning a few we shouldn’t , that will always be the perception!
I moved to Georgia in 03 from Tennessee and I used to catch hell for being a Tennessee fan. Now no one even looks at us as a relevant team. Last year I had people telling me they were glad we were playing well. We have sucked for a long time now. I’m in my upper 40s so I lived through some great times but they are long gone

Reactions: rdavis007
Losing to Florida is expected, esp when you’re roughly 3-17 against them in the last 20. This Florida drought dates back to Fulmer and Peyton. I fully expected UT to win Saturday, but not surprised they lost.

Nobody talks about the rest of Bru’s article to where this game was a big wake up call for him and he expects the team to rally together. GBO
I liken his comments to coach speak. If this is a wake up call for him and the team, Austin Peay must have been a rock a bye baby put my ass to sleep call.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
CJH has become a master at vagueness, deflection, suppression, dismissal, evasion, etc. during his pressors. lol

Honestly, I get it and wouldn't expect anything less nowadays. No coach wants to air their dirty laundry, admit weaknesses or give away player availability information.

Well, that's not exactly what he said, "execution/efficiency issues having little to do with being centered on Joe."
What he said when flat out asked about Joe was this:
Some real positives. The efficiencies, the communication and handling... all that, we have to be better, he has to be better, the guys up front got to be better."
For any of us to think the coach would trash any one player, well, it just isn't going to happen. That statement is left to interpretation, based on who's listening and what their personal biases are.
He talked about issues with offense and defense. On offense it includes the line, the QB, and receivers. He said they are all needing improvement. Again, as my comment pointed out, the criticism is on everyone, not just Joe as many insinuate it's all Joe or mainly Joe.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
CJH has become a master at vagueness, deflection, suppression, dismissal, evasion, etc. during his pressors. lol

Honestly, I get it and wouldn't expect anything less nowadays. No coach wants to air their dirty laundry, admit weaknesses or give away player availability information.
I agree, but he doesn't need to get all pissy when people ask questions about important players that didn't play when they were "available." He has to know those questions are coming, and should have something better prepared than "yeah well we got a long week ahead."

If so, he realized his team had a lot of hole to fill and could not get the Freshmen up tp speed quickly enough to beat Florida. Hadden needs to tho the scout team and Nico needs to put n overtime. He may be need by the end of October if Milton doesn't progress in a hurry. Milton's problems are mental rather than physical and that turn around is not easy.I hate to Nico to the wolves until he has learned a fairly amount of the offense. We will know by the third Sunday of October.

Tim Banks loves to sit in a zone on 3rd and long… it’s what he does and has since he arrived. That’s why you saw just as many long conversions in Neyland last year from Florida. Up until that game, Richardson had yet to throw for a TD in a game.
Are we going to have to change “3rd and Chavis” to “3rd and Banks”? I certainly hope not.

Heupel has experienced the wonderment of being a winning Vol head football coach. He now has a much better understanding what happens when a Vol HC has a team and goes out performing poorly against a hated SEC rival. He needs to stay away from the "working like heck aw shucks" coach speak and get on that practice field and right some wrongs ... ... ... fast!

VN Store

Back