Heupel X's and O's

feathersax

I rarely begin a thread, but our British friend London Vol posted this on his site. It's amazing this Vol fan (who's never been to Knoxville nor seen Tennesee play a game in person) has the acumen & has really studied Coach Josh Heupel's game strategy. You folks with more knowledge & experience than me can make more of it, but it's fascinating.
Xs and Os - A View From Big Ben

I rarely begin a thread, but our British friend London Vol posted this on his site. It's amazing this Vol fan (who's never been to Knoxville nor seen Tennesee play a game in person) has the acumen & has really studied Coach Josh Heupel's game strategy. You folks with more knowledge & experience than me can make more of it, but it's fascinating.
Great site! Interesting story of how he became a Vol Fan. 👍

Thx ScreenThis for the heads up on this article

Emmanuel Okoye goes from Nigeria to NFL Academy to Vols commit
  • i

Chris Low, ESPN Senior Writer May 17, 2023, 09:00 AM ET

Emmanuel Okoye, who grew up in Lagos, Nigeria, and was most recently a part of the NFL Academy program in England, said Wednesday that he plans to play college football at Tennessee.
The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Okoye said USC and Texas Tech were his other finalists. He also had offers from several other Power 5 schools, including Georgia.
Okoye plans to enroll at Tennessee this summer and would be eligible to play in 2023.
He played in three games last fall for the NFL Academy team -- his first and only game experience in organized football -- and saw time at defensive end and on special teams. The Volunteers say he could develop into a tight end.

Okoye, 18, grew up playing soccer in Nigeria and later fell in love with basketball as a teenager. He didn't know much about football until he was discovered last year by two-time Super Bowl champion Osi Umenyiora's "The Uprise" program and scouts, who invited him to attend a talent identification camp in Abuja, Nigeria. He impressed enough to be invited to NFL Africa's talent identification camp in Ghana in the summer.
His showing there earned him a spot at the NFL Academy -- an elite player pathway program that opened in September 2019 and aims to use football to create life-changing opportunities for young people around the world -- and he moved to the United Kingdom.
Naturally raw as a football player, Okoye showcased amazing athleticism at the NFL Academy combine. He recorded a 45.5-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot, 3-inch broad jump -- both of which would be NFL combine records for defensive ends. Okoye also has a 72-inch wingspan.
"I am thankful for all the support from everyone who is part of the NFL Academy program, my mentor Osi Umenyiora and all those who have contributed to this special moment for me," Okoye said as part of a statement released by the NFL. "This is just the beginning of my journey, and I will continue to work hard to grow and learn every day. Whilst I will always be part of the NFL Academy family, I am excited to join the University of Tennessee, and to continue to develop as a player and a young man. I hope I will make my family proud, and that starts with an elite education -- which was key to my decision making -- and I can't wait to take this opportunity and give it everything I have."
Umenyiora, who was born in the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents and is leading the NFL's football development efforts in Africa, added: "What an incredible moment for Emmanuel. His athleticism, natural sporting talent and outstanding personal character make him an impressive prospect for the game. ... Remember Emmanuel's name, as he has an exciting future ahead."
Former Georgia wide receiver Kris Durham, an international football development consultant for the NFL Academy, called Okoye a fantastic example of a crossover athlete who has played football for less than a year, yet has shown the talent and work ethic to get a shot to play college football at the highest level.
"His story will undoubtedly pave the way for the future NFL Academy prospects and recruits, driving awareness of the program and the opportunities for its talented student-athletes, and I couldn't be prouder to witness his journey so far, nor be more excited about what his future holds," Durham said.
Okoye, rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN, visited Tennessee in April for the Volunteers' spring game. He also visited USC and Texas Tech in April.

Perhaps as a Thank You to England, we give them Meghan Markle??
Great site! Interesting story of how he became a Vol Fan. 👍

Life takes an interesting route, if Tennessee in 2009 were wearing Red & Silver instead of Orange I would not have found the very best team in College Fotball with the very best fans.

Life takes an interesting route, if Tennessee in 2009 were wearing Red & Silver instead of Orange I would not have found the very best team in College Fotball with the very best fans.

Funny enough, my wife is Irish and I think her father about fainted when finding out that she was marrying a "Prod" who kept cheering Go Big Orange! :p

Well done! London Vol, your website seems very well put together. I will be looking at all those archive pages.
Thank you.

I first saw Zulu about 35 years ago.
Appreciate the reminder of the movie.

Thank you for your kind words.

Im not trying to start another thread but Zulu is in my top 5 films

6 man box with 1 high safety is still ideal for passing. You can run but you're outnumbered in the box without including QB, to make up for numbers you can use QB run game/read option or RPOs or gap scheme runs like power to get +1 playside. Not really much of a breakdown of Heupel's offense necessarily and more just basic football. Not trying to be overly critical, just saying high school coaches use those same principles.

6 man box with 1 high safety is still ideal for passing. You can run but you're outnumbered in the box without including QB, to make up for numbers you can use QB run game/read option or RPOs or gap scheme runs like power to get +1 playside. Not really much of a breakdown of Heupel's offense necessarily and more just basic football. Not trying to be overly critical, just saying high school coaches use those same principles.

I respect your comments and it may seem simple but after 12 years of Dooley, Jones and Pruitt, when our offense sometimes moved at the speed of an asthmatic snail, it shows that Josh Heupel confirms the old adage that "simplicity is genius".

I respect your comments and it may seem simple but after 12 years of Dooley, Jones and Pruitt, when our offense sometimes moved at the speed of an asthmatic snail, it shows that Josh Heupel confirms the old adage that "simplicity is genius".
...."moved at the speed of an asthmatic snail." :D:p Now that's the dry British humor I love.

It's a great system. It can be effective with average players and deadly with great players.

He had me with a Zulu reference

It's a great system. It can be effective with average players and deadly with great players.

Exactly- we all know speed kills, that's how Hyatt has such a great year. Beating mismatches and burning Defenders with his speed.

One more point regarding Zulu, Only the British could think that a Uniform color scheme of bright Red and White would be suitable for the terrain of South Africa :oops:

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
One more point regarding Zulu, Only the British could think that a Uniform color scheme of bright Red and White would be suitable for the terrain of South Africa :oops:
True. But was it not pretty soon after that, that they went to khaki? I believe that did happen prior to the Boer war; what about the Sudan campaigns?

VN Store

Back