Heupel: wants quarterbacks that can handle adversity

HB and Salter will both be here. Just a matter of who wins the job. Offense is loaded with weapons. Above average QB play will lead to 35+ ppg.
I have to disagree. The offense is not loaded with offensive weapons. O-Line not good, and best running backs have departed. Wideouts are average to below average.

He will develop that quarterback quickly. Harrison Bailey and Salter will love this coach. Loved what he said. If Harrison sticks around, he will be very good with Salter. I’m all in. Let’s start with a leader at quarterback, and build from there. LETS GO VOLS!
If you can't handle adversity; then you're not a good quarterback, That statement could be made by any football coach in America.

Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
HB and Salter will both be here. Just a matter of who wins the job. Offense is loaded with weapons. Above average QB play will lead to 35+ ppg.
Drew Lock, Missouri

-Heupel got a chance to coach one of the more talented SEC quarterbacks in recent years with Missouri’s Drew Lock for two seasons. In 2016, Lock completed 54.6 percent of his passes for 23 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. In the second season with Heupel, Lock’s number took a huge jump: he completed 3.2% more of his passes, throwing 21 more passing touchdowns, 44 total. Lock was picked in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos.

I have to disagree. The offense is not loaded with offensive weapons. O-Line not good, and best running backs have departed. Wideouts are average to below average.

While not loaded, it has potential to be good. Oline still had Cade Mays, Darnell Wright, Jerome Carvine, Cooper, Calbert and some talented back ups (not sure if Kennedy is coming back). RB position will be hurt (assuming Gray leaves) but they have some talented backs coming in and Tee Hodge, Jabari Small, Lenneth Whitehead etc can play decent. I would be excited about our WRs with this offense. Hyatt and Jet Holiday's speed will be finally utilized. Callaway, Wideman are highly rated guys with second year in college. Velus Jones and Rammel Keyton will be senior presence. Only big loss there is Josh Palmer but may be Gibbs will finally play. Beckwith (TE or RB) can be good in this speed offense.

On QB, any play we get from QBs will be a plus. HB seemed good with his reads and lacked accuracy on deep balls. That will come more with practice. Hendon Hooker can be a factor too with this legs. Salter is young so I do not expect him to play early unless other QBs flat out are bad.

Again, not a bad roster for a guy with offensive mind like Heupel. I am more worried on defense, esp at LB positions with all 6 of our LBs in portal right now.

Skill positions do not include OL, so we will have to agree to disagree. Gray isn't for sure gone, but we have Beckwith and a lot of talent coming in (Brown and Evans). WRs include Velus Jones, Hyatt, and Wideman. Campbell will be a fantastic pass catcher at TE. Holiday will have plenty of space to operate with in this offense. Additionally, I believe UT has a nice shot at Arik Gilbert.

Say what you want, and there are some hypotheticals, but there will be plenty of weapons for HB or Salter.

Gotta disagree with disagreement. I don't know who all has entered the transfer portal, but Pruitt didn't leave the cupboard bare. We have a chance to have a decent football team next year.

I actually thought the oline was pretty average last year. We were decent at running the ball. Passing wasnt so good but alot of that was JG holding the ball. Wright, Cooper, Cade, Carvin, & Calbert can be a good group. Chandler & Gray are big losses but I love what I saw from Small in limited action. We also have the #1 juco RB coming in and backs usually are dime a dozen. Jones & Hyatt are 2 very fast WR's who should excell in a wide open offense and Fant looks like a guy that needs more oppourtunities. I honestly think HB fits this offense better and I wouldnt be suprised if he has a big year. We got enough talent on the offensive side to be ok we just underachieved last year. The defense is the bigger issue here.

If HB wants to learn how to be a QB he would be hard pressed to find a better coach, He's had proven success with the ones that he has coached so far.

He will develop that quarterback quickly. Harrison Bailey and Salter will love this coach. Loved what he said. If Harrison sticks around, he will be very good with Salter. I’m all in. Let’s start with a leader at quarterback, and build from there. LETS GO VOLS!
Lets hope CJH is a better QB coach than Weinke

I believe the offenses he fields will be good. The last 3 years of his offenses have been top 25 and rushing O has over 200 yards to go with 250-300yds/game if not more. His Defenses will be the mystery as they haven't been good under him. Hire the right DC and let him do his job and he may be good. Time will tell.

Reactions: BondJamesBond

VN Store

Back