Heupel vs last 3 hires

wmcovol

No question the Fulmer/Pruitt debacle has severely damaged an already damaged brand. Pending NCAA penalties scare coaches off more than Covid in a crowded bar. Here is a comparison of Heupel vs last 3 coaches.

Heupel has a winning record as a head coach. Dooley didn’t. Heupel is an accomplished OC, Dooley was an accomplished “Saban goffer”.

Heupel is considered an offensive mind. It’s questionable Jones has a mind. Heupel has been an OC & play caller for many years. Jones was following Brian Kelly for many years.

Heupel actually has been a head coach. Pruitt led elementary PE. Heupel’s former star pupil Drew Lick speaks well of him. Pruitts former players wouldn’t let him use their pictures.

I realize this is comparing your math test to the ones of the 3 slowest kids in special education class but it still says Heupel is a better hire, even today, that the last 3. Considering the absolute mismanagement by Fulmer & past administrations it’s a wonder they could hire anyone. Jmo

Offense was great at UCF defense non-existent. He lost a game to Memphis 50 to 49. Offensively over all 36 games as coach averaged over 40 points so you would expect him to eventually get the offense rolling here. The problem looks to be recruiting that will be where he eventually succeeds or fails.

Offense was great at UCF defense non-existent. He lost a game to Memphis 50 to 49. Offensively over all 36 games as coach averaged over 40 points so you would expect him to eventually get the offense rolling here. The problem looks to be recruiting that will be where he eventually succeeds or fails.
I’m would assume he would have more money and better facilities and resources at UT than UCF to recruit.

I'd be more optimistic if he had taken a down program, and over 3-4 years made them competitive. Not the reverse.
You do realize that it is very hard to exceed 12-1. It's not like he went down drastically. If that is the case we never should have been flirting with James Franklin.

To add to this point I think he is far more qualified than Lane Kiffin. Everyone is banking on Lane changing, but forget what he did to our program. I am not just talking about leaving the way he did, trying to steal recruits but ahe took down pictures of our All-Americans for those he coached at USC. He has been fired from 2 of his best 3 jobs and then left the other one in the crapper. I like this hire. If we can keep the defense staff together and recruit our current players to stay, it has the looks of being real good. We have more than enough quarterbacks to run his system.

Last edited:
No question the Fulmer/Pruitt debacle has severely damaged an already damaged brand. Pending NCAA penalties scare coaches off more than Covid in a crowded bar. Here is a comparison of Heupel vs last 3 coaches.

Heupel has a winning record as a head coach. Dooley didn’t. Heupel is an accomplished OC, Dooley was an accomplished “Saban goffer”.

Heupel is considered an offensive mind. It’s questionable Jones has a mind. Heupel has been an OC & play caller for many years. Jones was following Brian Kelly for many years.

Heupel actually has been a head coach. Pruitt led elementary PE. Heupel’s former star pupil Drew Lick speaks well of him. Pruitts former players wouldn’t let him use their pictures.

I realize this is comparing your math test to the ones of the 3 slowest kids in special education class but it still says Heupel is a better hire, even today, that the last 3. Considering the absolute mismanagement by Fulmer & past administrations it’s a wonder they could hire anyone. Jmo
What's to say Heupel wasn't just following Frost around? Jones did fine at CMU.

Reactions: papatomany
They’ll score. The big question is can he win enough to make people happy while he’s having to tread water for a couple of years, both on the field and recruiting trail.

Because, whoever took this job is going to take some lumps early. So, patience will be needed and this fan base has run out of it through no fault of Heupel’s

Yes we get it. Heupel is the next Nick Saban. We will just have to see reevaluate him after year 4 because the first 3 he will get a pass.

Yes we get it. Heupel is the next Nick Saban. We will just have to see reevaluate him after year 4 because the first 3 he will get a pass.
So there is no middle ground? He's either Saban or the worst coach we could've possibly hired?

How about acknowledging his accomplishments and positive attributes and having the jury out on some question marks and see what happens?

They’ll score. The big question is can he win enough to make people happy while he’s having to tread water for a couple of years, both on the field and recruiting trail.

Because, whoever took this job is going to take some lumps early. So, patience will be needed and this fan base has run out of it through no fault of Heupel’s
If this hire taught us anything, it's that we have no choice...none...but to be patient. No one wants this job. No one can win here these next 4-5 years. We simply have to keep eating losses and being the butt of jokes until we can get beyond the probation and show some signs of life again.

Just like several past UT HCs, who he hires as a DC will make/break him. Especially at UT, the coordinators make all the difference. Fulmer just said "Amen" when considering his two favorite coordinators.

So there is no middle ground? He's either Saban or the worst coach we could've possibly hired?

How about acknowledging his accomplishments and positive attributes and having the jury out on some question marks and see what happens?
They will evaluate him probably after year 4 , if he's progressing great if not then wash/rinse then hire another 3.5 - 4 million dollar staff . We will NEVER EVER hire a 10 million dollar a year staff. Bummer but that's reality. I have no expectations any more of Vol football . Probably will make watching them easier.

Kevin Sumlin 2.0.

1. No SEC experience.
2. Runs a "high powered" offense.
3. Defenses suck.

Sumlin was only slightly successful at A&M due to Johnny Manziel, but his defenses were always suspect. He was your typical 7-5/8-4 coach, who then flamed out at Arizona. I'd expect Heupel to be about the same. But, it's who you can get at UT right now, given all of the NCAA stuff and the relative state of the program.

I think it is a step in the right direction. We as Vol fans need to realize UT is not the "Dream Job" we all think it is and with the possibility of sanctions looming we did get a HC that checks almost every box we had hoped for. I myself will do as I have always done, watch out for any team news, watch for all the recruiting info out there , argue with anybody that is a fan of Ala., Fla. or any other rival for that matter and get ready to watch or attend every game just like I always have. It is our Team and he is our Coach so GO VOLS !!!!

They will evaluate him probably after year 4 , if he's progressing great if not then wash/rinse then hire another 3.5 - 4 million dollar staff . We will NEVER EVER hire a 10 million dollar a year staff. Bummer but that's reality. I have no expectations any more of Vol football . Probably will make watching them easier.
How is that different than any other coaching hire from any other program? All hires are basically a hit or miss.

And who is a $10 million dollar coach that would accept the job that would meet your criteria?

VN Store

Back