Heupel Quarterback Coaching Genius

GoodlettsvilleVol

As I look forward for us I am mightily encouraged by what I see for our program.

I believe what he did with a previously underachieving Hooker is beyond the pale.

Now with Milton too.

Now comes high rated Nico!!

I do believe he is likely the best qb developer in the country.

The future is so bright I got to wear shades.

Last edited:
As I look forward for us I am mightily tencouraged by what I see for our program.

I believe what he did with a previously underachieving Hooker is beyond the pale.

Now with Milton too.

Did you say "tencouraged" on purpose?

As I look forward for us I am mightily tencouraged by what I see for our program.

Now with Milton too.

And we’re on the verge of landing Jake Merklinger.

Once you have the offense you don’t lose it. We have it. Now it’s honestly plug and play. We will start to understand how good a qb actually is in about 4 years when top 5 offense becomes the standard(already is). The players don’t really matter anymore on offense. It’s really not bad to question the legitimacy of our qbs going forward. This is the definition of a system offense

Last edited:
As I look forward for us I am mightily encouraged by what I see for our program.

Now with Milton too.

CJH and crew did an historically fantastic job turning Hendon Hooker into arguably the best QB in the nation last year when he began as a slightly better than mediocre transfer. Just like shampoo, rinse and repeat. This, to me, is the measuring stick for developing players... repeatability. This season will go a long way to show if he can sustain and grow upon previous success. By no way am I taking a shot or criticizing CJH and co. I want to see more success over time.

I think Heupel is a leader everyone inside the building will follow. He isn't just a GURU, the man is a winner, he has been through what these kids are going through on the big stage. I believe he is respected andshows the same to his players. You will never hear that guy throw them under the bus. He gets it, he wants it and he has the mindset and focus to take it. He demands it everyday, out of himself, his players, coaches and admin.

In 2020 the general consensus was that Scott Frost was the guru that got taken first leaving only the cleanup guy who was a step below for us. Plus, the new AD had to settle for this guy who was all that he could get for us.

My how things have changed at least in the public perception department.

Once you have the offense you don’t lose it. We have it. Now it’s honestly plug and play. We will start to understand how good a qb actually is in about 4 years when top 5 offense becomes the standard(already is). The players don’t really matter anymore on offense. It’s really not bad to question the legitimacy of our qbs going forward. This is the definition of a system offense
Brother, I don't think you could be more wrong on that point.

Every single offense ever run is a "system offense." You used the phrase as if only some are.

But every offense is built based on certain principles, definitions, and terminology--the ones the coaching staff use. Doesn't matter if it is single wing, triple option, pro style, spread, or any other flavor you can name, it's always a system.

Folks only use that term THESE days when they want to imply a subtle insult. As if some teams need good players, smart players, strong and fast players, while other teams benefit from "their system."

Bull scat.

The players always matter. If the QB can't make accurate throws, sometimes long distance throws, put touch on when needed, know what quadrant of the receiver's frame to target, anticipate the defense, read the defense, lead his teammates, motivate and encourage them, if he can't do all those things--and not many people can, it's a rare combination of talents--he won't work out. In this system or most others.

Likewise for the receivers and their key skill sets. The linemen. The running backs. The defense. The kickers.

The players' skills matter hugely.

Folks used to say (some still do), "It's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmies and Joes." They're half right.

It's both.

Players absolutely matter, friend. Absolutely.

Go Vols!

Now with Milton too.

I mean its not like those guys were scrubs.. They were both (especially Milton) physical specimens. Hooker is 6'4 220 (prototypical NFL qb size) with a good arm and decent legs. Milton is Cam Newton 2.0 from a physical perspective.

Not knocking coach... he developed them both awesomely but it's not like he took some 5'8" 130 lb guy with a noodle arm and made him into Tom Brady.

Maybe a genius, I don't know. I really enjoy that the coach is out of the honeymoon phase and we still like him going into year three. No fat jokes, scandalous rumors, or simple statements he made being stretched beyond reasoning, just nothing. Everyone is pretty happy.

Reactions: Golf freak
Hitting the bottle a little early I see...
Well, not so much the "bottle" as the dopamine lever, tryin' to keep that "running-through-the-T" high going 'til August.

IV_92ZXhujI.jpg

Walk away from the skinner box, get out of the lab, go get some sunshine and walk around barefoot... it will be football time in Tennessee when it's time.

Every single offense ever run is a "system offense." You used the phrase as if only some are.

But every offense is built based on certain principles, definitions, and terminology--the ones the coaching staff use. Doesn't matter if it is single wing, triple option, pro style, spread, or any other flavor you can name, it's always a system.

Folks only use that term THESE days when they want to imply a subtle insult. As if some teams need good players, smart players, strong and fast players, while other teams benefit from "their system."

Bull scat.

The players always matter. If the QB can't make accurate throws, sometimes long distance throws, put touch on when needed, know what quadrant of the receiver's frame to target, anticipate the defense, read the defense, lead his teammates, motivate and encourage them, if he can't do all those things--and not many people can, it's a rare combination of talents--he won't work out. In this system or most others.

Likewise for the receivers and their key skill sets. The linemen. The running backs. The defense. The kickers.

Folks used to say (some still do), "It's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmies and Joes." They're half right.

It's both.

Go Vols!
I don't think you understand what I am saying and that is fine. This offense is going to be the same year in and year out going forward under Coach Heup.. we will start to see who is truly talented after a few years of this consistently. expect 10-2 every year now. If you can't see that we have a Huep (MIZZOU, UCF, Tennessee) System offense that's has specifics to it... then man I don't wanna talk ball with you.

Thx bud

Bull scat.

It's both.

Go Vols!
Reminds me of one of my favorite Jerry Jones quotes...

"It's not the X's and O's, it's not even the Jimmies and the Joes, It's about who you know."

That was said in response to many of the same individuals being hired as NFL coaches.

CJH and crew did an historically fantastic job turning Hendon Hooker into arguably the best QB in the nation last year when he began as a slightly better than mediocre transfer. Just like shampoo, rinse and repeat. This, to me, is the measuring stick for developing players... repeatability. This season will go a long way to show if he can sustain and grow upon previous success. By no way am I taking a shot or criticizing CJH and co. I want to see more success over time.
Yep, Butch looked good with an outstanding QB. Let’s hope this works out differently.

Reactions: Remy
Coach Heupel is able to point out to his qb's how to set up properly,their delivery on each type throw,and the proper velocity.Only one who was one (a qb) can teach that properly and Coach does.With humor,straight talk and history(runner -up Heisman and national champ)Heupel can back up what he says.His offense is predicated on timing and space.Four defensive backs to cover three or four receivers over a fifty-three yard wide field,it just doesn't seem fair.Space and speed and no time between plays.Excellence!

That makes a lot of sense, I'll allow it 🤣

It actually does, and I agree

What do you mean by that? You don't think Heupel knows how to develop QBs and get the most out of their talent?

You're normally pretty reasonable, but no blue font so...

I mean that the OP must be drunk to make this post. He is, at bare minimum, incredibly premature with some of his claims.

What he did with Hooker: Awesome? Absolutely. However, the competition was a coach fired at VTech and Pruitt. It's not crazy to argue Heupel was the first and only above average coach Hooker had during his college career.

Milton: I'm as optimistic as anyone, but listing Milton as a feather in Heupel's cap seems premature to me.

Nico exists and Heupel gets credit for that...sure?!

Best developer in the country? I mean, maybe, but that's very, very debatable. It's also not supported by much. David Cutcliffe might have an opinion on that.

All of these are reasonable things to think or discuss. Declaring them all on a message board at 8am on a Tuesday...well that seems like drunk behavior from someone who's been drunk a time or three

It isn't easy to convey in writing but it was a sincere question. I am truly interested in how you came to that conclusion.

I mean that the OP must be drunk to make this post. He is, at bare minimum, incredibly premature with some of his claims.

What he did with Hooker: Awesome? Absolutely. However, the competition was a coach fired at VTech and Pruitt. It's not crazy to argue Heupel was the first and only above average coach Hooker had during his college career.
If he were the only case then I'd be with you. But going back over his career he has helped develop some really good QBs. He had some really good ones at OU. At Mizzou he made a huge difference in Drew Lock. Both QBs he coached at UCF posted outrageous numbers. I wouldn't give him full credit for the earlier ones but you can see a progression of him as a coach of QBs over time as well as the impact he had on QBs.

Milton: I'm as optimistic as anyone, but listing Milton as a feather in Heupel's cap seems premature to me.
Milton IMO has suffered from some Guarantanitus. He processes faster than JG but he has the same tendency to brain farts. He did that at Michigan. He did that to start at UT. He's been coached up by Heupel now for a couple of years. He didn't do those things last year as a back up or starter.

IMO, Heupel will get out of him what is in him.

Not sure what you mean there. Nico is a physical phenom but we've seen those types come, bust, and go. JG was physically talented. Crompton had extraordinary physical ability. Across CFB, past and present rosters are littered with guys with massive physical talent that just couldn't transition to college competition mentally or emotionally.

What can we give Heupel credit for other than signing a guy with great potential? He pulled Milton in who had great potential. Hopefully in a couple of hours he'll pull another kid with great potential. He has pretty obviously coached up the potential of some past guys. But you are right in that there are no guarantees with Milton... but that's true of Nico and others.

Best developer in the country? I mean, maybe, but that's very, very debatable. It's also not supported by much. David Cutcliffe might have an opinion on that.
There is a good argument to be made for Heupel specifically because he has lifted guys like Lock and Hooker. "Best" is subjective. But I think you can put him in a pretty small group of potential candidates.

All of these are reasonable things to think or discuss. Declaring them all on a message board at 8am on a Tuesday...well that seems like drunk behavior from someone who's been drunk a time or three
Overzealous maybe. But saying he must be drunk seems to be an attempt to start a fight rather than debate the merits.

Reactions: butchna

Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Drew Lock, Dillon Gabriel, Hendon Hooker. It's more than what he's done at UT.

Reactions: Samthebam

Bull scat.

It's both.

Go Vols!

Same clown just went and crapped on our consensus top10 QB in the country ....in HIS commitment thread...saying he will never play here and its a wasted scholarship.

This troll either is not a UT fan or is seriously the stupidest, least self aware, failure of a human who lives in abject misery and wants everyone else to be miserable too.

Screw this guy. What a Muppet.

Reactions: Woke

VN Store

Back