Heupel is Figured Out

A piddling Gamecock team figured out the recipe to beat Tennessee. They hung their corners 10 yards back and never let the Vol receivers get behind them. The fact about this offense is it's not designed to put up long, sustained drives. Gamecocks gave up the short ball all day and Heupel's offense just isn't built to take advantage of that. SC had nothing to lose taking a risk like that on D and it paid off in a big way. You beat this offense by hanging your corners back.

Make no mistake, this game is on the defense, but don't let that distract you from what happened on offense. That Gamecock defense was one of the worst in the SEC with multiple injuries. Any other SEC team is going to watch how they handled the Vol offense and just execute that formula better. Heupel needs to address that in his scheme or teams will have him figured out real soon.
We had over 500 yards offense.

We once believed................

ezgif-com-gif-maker-15.gif

Ratler and their team finally clicked. I said last year that Beamer looked like he’s going to be a good coach once he gets the players he needs, and we saw that last night. That being said, we didn’t get the breaks going our way last night and they did. They wanted it more, and the refs not calling their offensive holds kept their drives going. I think my biggest complaint was the officiating. Last night’s game makes me think Vegas still has their hooks in sports and pushes for certain outcomes.

Yes that’s what I’m saying. Its unrealistic and a historically bad defensive showing that allowed that.
Then you're missing the reality that we should have scored a great deal more on offense. That takes a lot of pressure of a defense that has regressed over the past few years.

I cannot remember a worse defensive showing.

Neither can I; especially against a team that isn’t an offensive juggernaut.

The only consolation I can take is that it was so bad, it can’t be swept under the rug or blamed on a few isolated plays or players. I think Heupel is a smart guy and he’ll make some attempt to change things defensively after the season is over. Get through last game and signing day first though.

Reactions: tbh
Step away from the computer and take a deep breath, the offense scored more than enough to win
31 points plus a garbage time TD is not good enough against a trash Gamecock defense. I get Heupel and Hooker have been electric all season but last night was a schematic wrinkle on defense that completely took away the lethality of this Volunteer offense.

Yeah, they figured out our defense needs more dawgs like Jeremy Banks. Not having him and, basically, zero-depth on D is what lost that game. Think of the depth we lost in the portal and then graduation last year....

Neither can I; especially against a team that isn’t an offensive juggernaut.

The only consolation I can take is that it was so bad, it can’t be swept under the rug or blamed on a few isolated plays or players. I think Heupel is a smart guy and he’ll make some attempt to change things defensively after the season is over. Get through last game and signing day first though.

Agree. The unknown is how much of this is on field talent? Versus off field talent? My gut says its the former more so than the latter and that not much will change on the staff until there is more of a rotation of "their" players coming through.

Good Lord we score 38, on the road, at an SEC division opponent, and people are bitching about offense? This team would have scored 52 had the defense done a half-ass job. This game was lost on one side of the field.

Scoring 38 on the road when your opponent scores 60 plus is not just a failure on one side of the ball, it's a catastrophic failure on both sides of the ball.

There is no reason our offense should not have scored much more than it did, unless you think the defense also played offense.

Reactions: Behr
The idea behind this thread, that there is some magical cheat code allowing anyone who knows it to defuse our offense, is silly.

It is predicated on the idea that this is just a gimmick offense. That it is smoke and mirrors. That it is somehow less robust and sustainable than other offensive schemes.

You can forget that.

There's nothing quirky about Josh Heupel's offense. He spreads the field, attacks with speed to help create mismatches, and introduces options to the receivers and QB in ways that give them freedom to find advantage.

That doesn't just go away when an opposing defense does one thing or another. They can't beat this offense simply by "figuring something out."

That's a lot like saying you can "figure out" the triple option by knowing that the fullback, QB, and tailbacks could any of them run the ball. Well, of course. But it's a helluva lot harder to stop than just realizing that.

It's a lot like saying saying you can beat a pro-set offense by stopping the QB from throwing accurately. Duh. But easier said than done.

And so on.

There's no on-off switch. It's not a one-dimensional scheme. It doesn't have an expiration date. It's not going away. And will be potent for years to come.

Teams have bad days. Bad games. We had one last night. That doesn't mean the world is ending or our coaching staff should be thrown on the dust bin of history.

Let's try not to over-react to one game, here.

Go Vols!

Ratler and their team finally clicked. I said last year that Beamer looked like he’s going to be a good coach once he gets the players he needs, and we saw that last night. That being said, we didn’t get the breaks going our way last night and they did. They wanted it more, and the refs not calling their offensive holds kept their drives going. I think my biggest complaint was the officiating. Last night’s game makes me think Vegas still has their hooks in sports and pushes for certain outcomes.
Blatant holding all night. I figured we'd get a few of those called, got none..

Coming from a know nothing i.e. me
My interpretation of JH offense this year was

Take what you were given in player talent
simplify the play calling to a few plays
condition your players to run a hurry up offense
catch the other team off guard to exploit match-ups

This was a good plan IMHO...IF your defense can stop the other team.

What i did not like seeing last night

1. Fulmer up the middles on 2nd and 3rd down
2. Fulmer screen passes

And punted what twice? You can’t expect them to score every time they touch the ball.
They have to when the defense allows the opponent to score on 9 of 10 drives. If you're going to sell out on offense, this is what happens. Been more than happy to have shootouts each week until they're burned by it.

It's either way too early for you to be on the bottle or you need to put that bottle down from last night.

This one is on the defense.

We got used to Hooker being able to put the ball where needed all the time. A few throws here and there and we keep those 2 drives alive and don’t have to kick the FG.

The turnover due to Hooker’s injury because of the poor field conditions hurt the most.

Praying for a speedy recovery for HH.

A piddling Gamecock team figured out the recipe to beat Tennessee. They hung their corners 10 yards back and never let the Vol receivers get behind them. The fact about this offense is it's not designed to put up long, sustained drives. Gamecocks gave up the short ball all day and Heupel's offense just isn't built to take advantage of that. SC had nothing to lose taking a risk like that on D and it paid off in a big way. You beat this offense by hanging your corners back.

Make no mistake, this game is on the defense, but don't let that distract you from what happened on offense. That Gamecock defense was one of the worst in the SEC with multiple injuries. Any other SEC team is going to watch how they handled the Vol offense and just execute that formula better. Heupel needs to address that in his scheme or teams will have him figured out real soon.
They scored 38 on the road. I’m not sure what you think we were supposed to do offensively other than what you saw. If the defense plays at all, we probably get a few extra possessions and close in on 50.

Reactions: TN1111

We let them score 60 points on us and your hot take is to blame the offensive scheme? Brilliant

VN Store

Back