Heresy and Expectations

creekdipper

The sky will not fall if the Lady Vols fail to make the tournament this year.

Saying this may be considered LV heresy. Heck, it would have been considered unthinkable as a possibilty just a couple of seasons ago.

This doesn't mean not caring about it or not hoping or even expecting us to be invited. Just not being as concerned about "the streak" as in seeing progress made. And, unlike the past, we don't have a bench full of talent that would allow us to withstand more injuries to key players (Lord forbid).

(As far as the streak goes, many thought it should have ended last year when we backed in as a bubble team. Almost every other meaningful streak has ended...and remember, we lost in the first round in 2009 under Pat, so it's not as though we've always been in the final rounds.)

If we can see steady (albeit slow) improvement in team play, individual improvement, and recruitment of elite players from this staff, that would be not just acceptable but really encouraging. We don't have much margin for error this year, and unforeseen and unavoidable things can happen. But if we can see the players buying in, working hard, making better decisions, and developing skills, then the goal of getting back to championship level will seem much more attainable.

Making the tournament every year only to bow out in early rounds...and staying mired in mediocrity...is a hollow and unappealing prospect. There are better ways to realistically measure progress than simply making a first-round, low-seed appearance with an early exit.

That said, i hope we stay healthy and make some serious noise in both SEC and NCAA parties postseason.

Creekdipper, well said. Long time ago i learned that post-game comments after losses in all sports have a minority of comments on what was done well, to measure progress.

Saying this may be considered LV heresy. Heck, it would have been considered unthinkable as a possibilty just a couple of seasons ago.

This doesn't mean not caring about it or not hoping or even expecting us to be invited. Just not being as concerned about "the streak" as in seeing progress made. And, unlike the past, we don't have a bench full of talent that would allow us to withstand more injuries to key players (Lord forbid).

(As far as the streak goes, many thought it should have ended last year when we backed in as a bubble team. Almost every other meaningful streak has ended...and remember, we lost in the first round in 2009 under Pat, so it's not as though we've always been in the final rounds.)

If we can see steady (albeit slow) improvement in team play, individual improvement, and recruitment of elite players from this staff, that would be not just acceptable but really encouraging. We don't have much margin for error this year, and unforeseen and unavoidable things can happen. But if we can see the players buying in, working hard, making better decisions, and developing skills, then the goal of getting back to championship level will seem much more attainable.

Making the tournament every year only to bow out in early rounds...and staying mired in mediocrity...is a hollow and unappealing prospect. There are better ways to realistically measure progress than simply making a first-round, low-seed appearance with an early exit.

That said, i hope we stay healthy and make some serious noise in both SEC and NCAA parties postseason.

If we don't make the NCAA, we'll get invited to the NIT (Not In the Tournament) tournament.
That to me is more of a blow than just not playing postseason at all would be!
If we don't make THE tournament,,,we don't play in any tournament.

Let's not forget who we are
We are Tennessee
You know, the program that has always had respect.
As soon as we settle,
so will our reputation!

Reactions: mytenn
I don't understand the thinking that the Lady Vols wouldn't make the tournament. They're 11-3 only loosing to then #1 Stanford,
a Texas team that beat #1 Stanford and #13 Kentucky. Are they where we would like them to as a National seed? No, but imho I
think they will be in the tourney. Beat who you are suppose to beat and pull over an upset or 2 and they will be fine.

I don't understand the thinking that the Lady Vols wouldn't make the tournament. They're 11-3 only loosing to then #1 Stanford,
a Texas team that beat #1 Stanford and #13 Kentucky. Are they where we would like them to as a National seed? No, but imho I
think they will be in the tourney. Beat who you are suppose to beat and pull over an upset or 2 and they will be fine.

There's a lot of "Henny Penny's" out here

"The Sky is Falling"

Reactions: stlvolsfan

I) I am confident that The LVs will make the tournament.

2), Not making the tournament this year would be VERY, VERY, VERY bad given we have a new coach who has the NC flop hanging over her head (and competing coaches will not let that be forgotten if the team fails to qualify) and who has not established her recruiting credentials.

3) Kellie really needs to replicate the sweet 16 run of last season Misssouri State.

Hopefully we will make it, we really shouldn't
have last year. It was an embarrassment.

its still early and a lot of things can chamge. ill tell ya this though, south carolina is gping to be super tough for any team to beat and that includes uconn. so outside of sc, i think tennessee can compete with the rest of tue sec teams. they just cant let these star players have career nights!!

Completely agree!

VN Store

Back