Here's the teams that gave the best defenses a difficult time in 2018

Ole Miss finished the season ranked #9 in total offense, but against good defenses (Alabama, MSU, LSU, and Auburn) they were out scored 173-42. That's 10.5 points per game. So are we suppose to think Ole Miss had a "good" offense simply because they were ranked in the top 10?

Statistics can be deceiving. To me, a good offense is one that does well against good defenses. In 2018, there are 13 teams that scored at least 21 points on 3 separate occasions against a Top 30 defense. Those teams are as follows:

Texas A&M (4)
Georgia Tech (4)
Auburn (4)
Virginia Tech (3)
Alabama (3)
Ohio State (3)
Boise State (3)
Stanford (3)
Georgia (3)
Missouri (3)
Penn State (3)
Tennessee (3)
Utah State (3)

Nothing earth shattering here, I know. Just thought I'd share what I found. TIFWIW.

I think you are counting defensive TD's . Which just blows this narrative all to pieces.
We got lucky against Auburn we tried everyway possible not to recover that fumble before we finally did.

You're one of the most stubborn posters I've ever seen on this board and that says a lot. I sincerely hope you are not like this in real life.

The score was 58-21. Tennessee scored 21 points. As I've said in this thread, I pulled final scores from the schedules of the best 30 defenses in the country to compose this list. It does not take into account defensive or special teams touchdowns. You can not see that because you are blinded by your own pride and hung up on trying to embarrass someone rather than seeking to understand the information presented.

Honestly, I thought people would appreciate the information without reading too much into it.

I'm not sure why everyone is giving this guy a hard time, at least it's an actual football discussion. It beats the living hell out of about 90% of the drivel the rest of us post.

I'm not sure why everyone is giving this guy a hard time, at least it's an actual football discussion. It beats the living hell out of about 90% of the drivel the rest of us post.

Because it's worse than a genuine football discussion. It's misleading, either due to intellectual dishonesty or outright poor analysis. Fake news is worse than no news at all.

Because it's worse than a genuine football discussion. It's misleading, either due to intellectual dishonesty or outright poor analysis. Fake news is worse than no news at all.

They guy didn't make any "news" fake or otherwise, he discussed football on a football forum. You take yourself way too seriously.

Reactions: bpalmer28
The argumentative nature that has grown on this board is really depressing. This guy shares something and then gets beat up and raped over and over again on here by fellow Vol fans. It would be nice if we could all be nice to one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpalmer28
Just trying to get people to look at more than total offense, ypg, or ppg when evaluating offensive coordinator candidates. The ultimate goal is to win a championship. To win a championship you have to go through good defenses. To beat good defenses you have to score against good defenses. I want to know who is doing that in today's game, so I put together a list of the teams who have scored the most points against the best defenses.

People are complicating the whole idea because they see Tennessee on a list and assume that I'm pumping sunshine or whatever. I'm not. Tennessee is just on the list. I haven't drawn any conclusions from the analysis ITT, but I probably should have in the OP so people wouldn't get the wrong idea.

Here's what I think when I see that list of 13 teams: I envy Texas A&M's offense, but I doubt we'd be able to get their OC. We probably should have hired Chip Lindsey. David Yost might be worth a look. Derek Dooley might be worth a look, but how much of their success should be attributed to Lock? Helton did okay against good defenses, wish we hadn't of sucked against Vandy.

How the heck does this go unnoticed for so long. I am now convinced this is nothing more than a troll post. There is no other way to defend it. Troll level 100. Well done!

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
Did all teams have the same # opportunities vs Top30 D's?

Are "top 30" D's rated that way by regular stats, or by how they did vs Top30 offenses?

You're right stats can be deceiving.

Nice to see you haven’t changed. “Too lazy” to look at football stats for another hour? lol and I thought I was being lazy by not doing my actual job this morning. Get a life dude.

Says the guy who put together all this in an attempt to get some VN cred only to end up with a major cause of butthurt because it was constantly pointed out to him how utterly useless the data is.

Also, nobody is forcing you to respond, so apparently you need to find said life yourself.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
The argumentative nature that has grown on this board is really depressing. This guy shares something and then gets beat up and raped over and over again on here by fellow Vol fans. It would be nice if we could all be nice to one another.

Because of how Devo wonderfully describes it:

Again, TIFWIW. I was as surprised as anyone when they showed up. My intent in doing this study was not to reveal anything about Tennessee.... I was looking for an offensive coordinator candidate that has had success against good defenses. Didn't really find what I was looking for but figured I'd share the results anyway.
When a study has shocking results... it can mean two things.

One, there is a shocking truth in the world that is counter intuitive.

Two, you are drawing bad conclusions off of a bad study.

Your criteria for a good offense... doesn't work. We got blown out in two of the three games you are using to define us as good. And that isn't just an observation, it's a causal relationship. The primary reason we scored 21 on Bama is because they scored 58.

VN Store

Back