Here is why I think Vols beat Ole Miss

Flipdaddy has a valid post about his belief Ole Miss wins, so this is to counter that post.
We are going against a great QB but our QB is not too shabby, have you noticed.

These are just my thoughts.
1. Home Crowd; it will be loud and crazy in Neyland.
2. Coaching staff; I honestly think we have a better coaching staff.
3. Disclipine growth; Vols only have two penalties each last two games.
4. Pressure; Kiff will feel the pressure to win much more than JH. His ego not wanting Vols beat him.
5. Team Confidence; coaches have this team playing beyond their natural ability, injuries. They play on faith and confidence.
5. Coaches desire; they know what this game means to Vol fans, and will want to give them this win.
They want to be loved by the fans and this is an opportunity, they will work night and day to get ready for this game.
So, expect some very creative new plays and wrinkles to be pulled out.

The one and only reason we beat the Rebs - I mean Black Bears is because we get one more defensive stop than they do! Vols 70 - Ole Miss 63 GBO! Also, more rationally, Ole Miss has the worst defense we have faced, including Missouri. Both teams like to go fast offensively. We will get 14 possessions, we will score on at least 10. The difference will be we can stop them a few times but barring turnovers they won't slow us down. Sticking with the prediction 70-63 good guys!

Last edited:
Neither Ole Miss or KY is limited to just 71 scholarship players,
And neither is UT. LWSVol somehow keeps a data base on every FBS roster. For some reason the media stupidly doesn't count the Covid Seniors. UT actually has 81 players on scholarship with 80 of them coming to UT on scholarship. Eight of the missing players were guys who were allowed out of their LOI in the '21 class. Not many if any of them would be contributors THIS year.

and neither lost 30 players to the transfer portal.
And? Since when are games decided by guys who aren't on either roster? What matters is this:
2021 College SEC Football Team Talent Composite

Notice the "commits" number. UT actually has more scholarship players than LSU, Vandy, and MU... the exact same as Auburn.

E have played 5 deep at RB, but currently #s 1 & 2 are both injured (status for Sat Not known), and one of the 5 is a walk on.
Yes. I will be shocked if all 5 aren't available this Saturday. Evans tweaked an ankle and was apparently jumping and dancing at the end of the game on the sideline. UT didn't need to risk playing him more.

Our most talented LB is out for the season.
When did he play enough to make an impact? I wish he had but he's had 8 tackles. Banks has 33. Bailey has really stepped it up with 31. Page has 24. That's 88 tackles. Ole Miss' top 3 LB's have 82 tackles.

Our best center is still qluestionable,
He probably plays but how much did his absence hurt UT's O when running at full clip the last two weeks?

and DL is dealing with multiple injuries.
I got Simmons who will probably play after what looked like a sprained ankle. Who you got?

I don't know how anyone can question that we are thin in terms of depth.
You mean other than the errors you posted above? And thin compared to who exactly? Ole Miss or Bama?

I still think we have a chance to beat Ole Miss, but that's based on the hope that we get some of the dinged up guys back on the field by Sat (Evans and/or Small, Elijah Simmons, Theo Jackson, etc.)
Lack of depth will become more of a problem as the season wears on.
As it will for every team not named Bama or UGA in the SEC. If one of Ole Miss' top two WR's gets dinged up then they're pedestrian at WR. @ButchPlz said earlier that their starting DT Oxendine is out for this game. I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere... but they go from not good to flat out bad if he's out.

You guys keep trying to look at UT in a vacuum compared to the "ideal" depth. No one outside of Bama, UGA, TAM, and maybe UF has that kind of depth. Everyone has talent and depth holes.

Reactions: KptVFL
I think we will be able to run the football with authority....and at will. Small and Evans combo is legit..

They won’t...

I believe eventually we will make Ole Miss one dimensional...trying to play catch up. Plays into our hands...

... As it will for every team not named Bama or UGA in the SEC. If one of Ole Miss' top two WR's gets dinged up then they're pedestrian at WR. @ButchPlz said earlier that their starting DT Oxendine is out for this game. I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere... but they go from not good to flat out bad if he's out....
No. 11 Kentucky loses DT Oxendine with lower leg injury
Kentucky defensive tackle Octavious Oxendine will miss the rest of the season with a lower leg injury

Reactions: ButchPlz
Maybe, but our D doesn't play their D. Our D plays their O and so on and so forth. I get that we are statistically better on D, but I am not sure the competition has been similar. Honestly, I haven't looked at it and don't care enough to.

Which is why I said that the flip side is that our O would wear them out too.

Fair enough, and no worries. You know I don't get worked up about being wrong. I think the "thin" issue has more to do with the unknowns more than reality. We just aren't entirely sure what kind of depth we may or may not have. Take Turnage as an example. I had no idea how he would play when forced into action. He looked great. We still don't know if that will be consistent. One game is not enough data. But he did look good so no reason to believe that he isn't capable. The same goes with the O-line. They looked suspect earlier, and especially the 2s and 3s. Some of those guys are playing a lot better. Still, the second half of the SC game showed some potential depth issues. There were more mistakes once we started subbing more and the level dropped off, and it did appear that the O-line and D-line groups got sluggish. Maybe to be expected, but still.

Also, for the record, I never said we were untalented compared to anybody. I actually like the talent level right now with the first team. I think we could improve here and there, but overall, I think we are on par with a lot of teams in the SEC and better than quite a few. With regards to Ole Miss, I think we match up with them pretty well at the skill positions. I just don't know enough about their O-line though.

I'll reiterate though, that the factor that seems important here to me is that Ole Miss played a tough game to the wire, while we coasted along. This sets up to be a great opportunity to get a win against a ranked opponent.

I just hope hype doesn't let off the pedal the second half if we have a big lead, because ole miss can put up points in a hurry. Keep pouring it on for 4 qtrs, no let up till game is over.

UT Defense > Ole Miss Defense
UT Offense ? Ole Miss Offense (This one is hard to gauge statistically.) @LWSVOL what do you say ... I am sure you have watched everyone of their games. :^)))))))
UT QB < Ole Miss QB (At first blush.)
UT Crowd is the 'extra man' that makes it hard to hear the signals.
Take care of the ball and .... The first team to 50 wins this game!

Should be similar game as Arkansas and Ole Miss. A shootout. Ole Miss has some really nice skill players. The QB is legit.

I expect Heupel to have a great game plan and his play calling is excellent. Should be a great offensive show.

Too close to call. Likely will come down to who makes the least mistakes.

Yes I've seen every game both have played.

I just hope hype doesn't let off the pedal the second half if we have a big lead, because ole miss can put up points in a hurry. Keep pouring it on for 4 qtrs, no let up till game is over.

He won't. He's as aware as any of us as to what they are capable of. I feel like some folks on here, don't mean you, have put too much stock in our efficiency in the 2nd half of the last to blow out games. Wth knows for sure. The only thing I do know is we will find out Saturday night. Can't wait! GBO!

VN Store

Back