Here is my best guess...

CA_Vol

The Steele and Marrone rumors are the DC and OC hires for a Freeze HC hire.

Now that we have that out of the way. I honestly believe its more likely the powers that be are building a staff for a Tee Martin HC hire. I think Fulmer is wanting a UT guy with UT support that the fans will give a LOOOOOOOONGGGGG leash, while being the coach in proximity.

Flame away, but lets see what happens...

Last edited:

Now that we have that out of the way. I honestly believe its more likely the powers that be are building a staff for a Tee Martin HC hire. I think Fulmer is wanting a UT guy with UT support that the fans will give a LOOOOOOOONGGGGG leash.

C2C3BCF7-8C8E-4054-A559-323AC7E08248.gif

He would need to excel as a coordinator for multiple years first.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Swinney, Fleck, Ed O, and Herm are a few that either skipped the coordinator role or had very limited time in the position and still became really good HC.

Reactions: lexkyvol
He would need to excel as a coordinator for multiple years first.
I disagree. Head coach and coordinator are two different skill sets. Some coaches are good in either role while others excel in one or the other. I'm not saying Tee will be a great head coach but we really won't know until he gets the opportunity.

Reactions: Remy
I disagree. Head coach and coordinator are two different skill sets. Some coaches are good in either role while others excel in one or the other. I'm not saying Tee will be a great head coach but we really won't know until he gets the opportunity.
That’s not the common logic or practice. If you cannot perform well as a coordinator, you are unlikely to get a HC job.

Reactions: chef3531
Hey man Tee might just end up being a great head coach. He might be just what Tennessee needs right now. I know it's a long shot but if he does get the job we have to get behind him and hope for the best.

So, we hire Dooley(A losing coach before coming here), Kiffin (an inexperienced HC), Butch (the only winning HC we have hired), and Pruitt (absolutely zero experience as a HC).

You want to continue that trend by hiring Tee, who has never been a HC and hasn't even really been an OC, just because he played at UT?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a horrible decision?

I have not. Where is that thread?
I think the title is tee to Auburn rumor thread. Quite a few unimpressed with Tee and I know that Twitter Vols haven’t been impressed with Tee.. I don’t think there would be revolting if they hired Tee but I don’t see him getting a long leash with the fan base being lukewarm with him at best right now.

If there is any truth that Tee is butting heads with JP and stopped attending staff meetings that is a red flag that he is a source of dissension and not professional to be a HC or to hold any staff position at UT.
There’s a lot of missing information before we can make a rational or fair judgment. We don’t know if Pruitt treated Tee with little respect or if Tee was the one causing friction. Rumor was also that Tee wasn’t Pruitts hire but Fulmer... so for all we know Pruitt could have been a dick to him from the jump.

Reactions: savannahfan
Hey man Tee might just end up being a great head coach. He might be just what Tennessee needs right now. I know it's a long shot but if he does get the job we have to get behind him and hope for the best.

I don’t have to get behind anything. If Tee gets the keys it will not be pretty

Now that we have that out of the way. I honestly believe its more likely the powers that be are building a staff for a Tee Martin HC hire. I think Fulmer is wanting a UT guy with UT support that the fans will give a LOOOOOOOONGGGGG leash, while being the coach in proximity.

In public Tee and Phil look cozy not so much behind closed doors. It want happen. If Tenn. fires Pruitt and I still believe that's a big if thats why they offer Freeze or Napier. Freeze is getting his image back, couple years ago he wouldn't be doing commentary on ESPN. I'm not sure Napier would take the job but Freeze wants it. Tee aint ready.

Or the most likely thing to happen will also be the most Tennessee thing to happen. Pruitt keeps his job, changes a few coaches, loses a bunch of games this year, and is fired somewhere between the Florida and Alabama game. It essentially already makes him a lame duck, which may lead you to ask why they don't just fire him now, to which I'll refer you back to the first sentence.

Tee is about who I see Fulmer going with. Also the reason he needs to be gone more than Pruitt
Fulmer isn’t getting the final say or a heavy position in hiring the new guy. I don’t know how many times multiple media members have to state this before people understand it.

VN Store

Back