Here comes the NCAA

Saving 12 million dollars by taking a certain action would go to motive in basically any court of law. A cynic would say our willingness to blow the whistle on our own and cooperate the way we have was financially motivated, and provided a justification to do something on the cheap (fire Pruitt) that we wanted to do anyway due to his poor performance as head coach. I am sure there are people at the NCAA saying just that, whether they are the majority or not though remains to be seen.

Funny how this can be twisted in any direction. Yes the Whistle blown by ourselves was definitely getting a head of it for sure. Not blowing would have been far more worse. We loss 33 players due to us blowing the whistle on ourselves. Think about the ramifications had we not said a word and continued to do the same exact thing the following year.

Fulmer would have probably not fired Pruitt immediately but waited it out another year. IOW, The corrupt way of doing business would have continued digging us into a deeper hole. As the program continued in its spiral and we may not have recovered for another 5 to 10 years. What's more, we did fire Pruitt and that is by luck because had we got caught from an outside source it would have been far worse. What's more Fulmer hires Steele immediately who may not change the way of doing business as he has an association with teams that pay players.

It was a blessing it all happened the way it did. We may end up paying Pruitt a settlement as we do not know. The NCAA may assess more on us because they need their teeth back and we have been the whipping boy for the NCAA in the past.

We got our act together but their maybe some more to pay. I would hope not, but the NCAA is involved and we already have paid a group of lawyers so yes I hope we Stand our Ground. The Coach knew what he was doing was wrong as well as the wife and Staff. We have some culpability for not knowing or supervising, but we reported it as soon as we knew so why would the NCAA take it any further. The reasons are because we are Tennessee and the NCAA feels that they need to be recognized as a Governance organization.

Tennessee needs to Stand their Ground and not Back Down. Tom Petty.

Reactions: GoVols15
Saving 12 million dollars by taking a certain action would go to motive in basically any court of law. A cynic would say our willingness to blow the whistle on our own and cooperate the way we have was financially motivated, and provided a justification to do something on the cheap (fire Pruitt) that we wanted to do anyway due to his poor performance as head coach. I am sure there are people at the NCAA saying just that, whether they are the majority or not though remains to be seen.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

You absolutely fight a bowl ban. You fight anything that has a direct impact on the current players and staff that had zero to do w/ these allegations. If the NCAA wants to turn over a new leaf and regain some respect they need to start punishing individuals that caused the issues and not punishing entire universities for the actions of a few morons.

This x100

Yet the guilty players and coaches will go unscathed.;)
If I’m not mistaken 4 people (2 coaches a staff member and a student assistant) have already been given 3 to 5 year show cause penalties. You’ve got to be pretty naive to think almost all the coaches and the administration didn’t know it was happening or even assisted in it. That’s what I’m worried about.

Reactions: tvolsfan
If I’m not mistaken 4 people (2 coaches a staff member and a student assistant) have already been given 3 to 5 year show cause penalties. You’ve got to be pretty naive to think almost all the coaches and the administration didn’t know it was happening or even assisted in it. That’s what I’m worried about.
Yes, and the university fired them.

What have we already spent on legal defense? Probably not much less than cornbreads buy out. I know it has been said, but if they hammer us, no one will ever help the ncaa with an investigation ever again

What have we already spent on legal defense? Probably not much less than cornbreads buy out. I know it has been said, but if they hammer us, no one will ever help the ncaa with an investigation ever again
Sure they would/ if it meant they could get rid of someone like pruitt…. And thing is, we were gonna get nailed anyway. So we chose to cooperate and at least save 12 million in the process- now that said, I’m pretty sure we didn’t anticipate the discovery of the head coach himself playing the players and the subsequent nausea that obviously caused within the NCAA.

A couple of points. I have heard opinions from what I believe to be legit journalists - not just random YouTubers - that UT will almost certainly NOT sue the NCAA over a bowl ban, and that this hearing over the past two days was about attempts by Pruitt and UT to soften proposed penalties. All parties have made their case already and presented their evidence. It would seem that almost no one in the know believes a bowl ban is really on the table. More likely it the additional of a significant number of scholarships reductions that is at stake. It is not outside the realm of possibility that Cbread could have dropped new accusations this week that Fulmer/admin knew about the dirt and did nothing, but some have said this kind of 11th hour strategy by Pruitt would be viewed dimly by potential destination universities for him. It has been said that the one thing UT will not want is to suddenly put the parties involved on a true witness stand where an oath is sworn and risk very bad items coming to light (even if there isnt knowledge of dirt by UT at this point). The NCAA has no ability to demand oaths to sworn UNLESS one moves to a true court of law. Hopefully we will hear a final verdict from NCAA in less than 3 months which I understand is a normal timeframe at this stage. THEN, the Vols can appeal I believe. However, UT wants this out of the news and out of the recruiting conversation ASAP.

We’re all just speculating. Even those confident that nothing is going to happen don’t really know either. But what’s frustrating to me is that even if a bowl ban is off the table, any recruiting restrictions and/or scholarship reductions would be a big blow to the progress this staff has made. And even if UT fights it in court, that takes time and opposing coaches would continue to use this against us in recruiting. I just want this to be over with either way ASAP.

A couple of points. I have heard opinions from what I believe to be legit journalists - not just random YouTubers - that UT will almost certainly NOT sue the NCAA over a bowl ban, and that this hearing over the past two days was about attempts by Pruitt and UT to soften proposed penalties. All parties have made their case already and presented their evidence. It would seem that almost no one in the know believes a bowl ban is really on the table. More likely it the additional of a significant number of scholarships reductions that is at stake. It is not outside the realm of possibility that Cbread could have dropped new accusations this week that Fulmer/admin knew about the dirt and did nothing, but some have said this kind of 11th hour strategy by Pruitt would be viewed dimly by potential destination universities for him. It has been said that the one thing UT will not want is to suddenly put the parties involved on a true witness stand where an oath is sworn and risk very bad items coming to light (even if there isnt knowledge of dirt by UT at this point). The NCAA has no ability to demand oaths to sworn UNLESS one moves to a true court of law. Hopefully we will hear a final verdict from NCAA in less than 3 months which I understand is a normal timeframe at this stage. THEN, the Vols can appeal I believe. However, UT wants this out of the news and out of the recruiting conversation ASAP.

I do not understand how a "significant number of scholarship reductions" is really in play...I mean, what is significant? Didn't we reduce ourselves by like 12 scholarships already? Seems that was the number I heard....Even USC, paying WAY more than $60K, only got 15 scholarship reductions over 3 years....we just took our lump at one time and did all 12 at once.

Yes, and the university fired them.
That’s not entirely correct my friend. Drew Hughes the DPP left the year before the allegations came out and went to South Carolina. There was another DPP the whole year before the allegations came out about the McDonald’s or Chik Fila bags or the passing out of money. Now the guy that took his place Danny Stiff who was the DPP at the time the allegations came down was fired.

Last edited:
That’s not entirely correct my friend. Drew Hughes the DPP left the year before the allegations came out and went to South Carolina. There was another DPP the whole year before the allegations came out about the McDonald’s or Chik Fila bags or the passing out of money. Now the guy that took his place Danny Stiff who was the DPP at the time the allegations came down was fired.
Since you are in the know, who is still left from the time of the allegations?

Well there is Bethany Gunn, Chandra something that worked under Gunn. Pruitt and Casey of course. That’s all I can remember. They were all fired.

You absolutely fight a bowl ban. You fight anything that has a direct impact on the current players and staff that had zero to do w/ these allegations. If the NCAA wants to turn over a new leaf and regain some respect they need to start punishing individuals that caused the issues and not punishing entire universities for the actions of a few morons.

Hasnt it already been said TN will sue if a bowl ban is mentioned?

I thought I heard something about Tee Martin being a big whistleblower for this?
I remember that being said as well, I can't remember why I thought so now, I just remember believing the Trey Smith sister thing had some legs to it. Like she was how it got on Plowman's desk and at that point, something had to be done.

I remember that being said as well, I can't remember why I thought so now, I just remember believing the Trey Smith sister thing had some legs to it. Like she was how it got on Plowman's desk and at that point, something had to be done.
It’s because Trey Wallace broke the story and he has a good relationship with Tee Martin so they assumed he leaked it. But, Trey has (or had) a lot of sources inside Pruitts program so it may not have been Tee anyway.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

VN Store

Back