Here Are Athlon's 2020 Preseason Predictions For The SEC

UGA's four recruiting classes for next year will have been ranked 3, 1, 2 and 3 (assuming their ranking this year remains static) respectively on the composite. Most of the team that dispatched Baylor with relative ease in the Sugar Bowl will be back. Florida could beat them, we might could if everything gels just right but unless that Newman guy sucks really bad, which we should know after a few games next year, I think they're still the favorite.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
The next step is to knock off someone we are supposed to lose to next year. If we win one of the 4 games we are supposed to lose next year we will be heading in the right direction. We can’t progress by only beating mediocre and lower tier teams. Year three is the time to win a game of significance.

I believe we'll finish second in the east next year. I think it will literally be a handful of plays that separate the top three in the east next year.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Looks right to me other than LSU being second in west
LSU is in trouble next year. 7 underclassmen declared for NFL, lost best QB in the country, lost both DC and “Passing Game Coordinator”/guy responsible for opening up and making that offense play at a record-breaking level. Coach O about to take a big step back imho.

I don't get all the love A&M is getting for next year. Didn't they have the same record we did, and look pretty uninspiring in getting to said record? I don't get it.

I don’t get the A&M love either, but I can tell you they get the biggest favorable schedule flip of anyone in the country. They lose Georgia and Clemson and gain North Texas and Vandy. That’s automatically a 2-win swing. Maybe that’s being factored in to the predictions.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
LSU is in trouble next year. 7 underclassmen declared for NFL, lost best QB in the country, lost both DC and “Passing Game Coordinator”/guy responsible for opening up and making that offense play at a record-breaking level. Coach O about to take a big step back imho.
Wait - you mean Coach O isn't a football savant like Saban?

Speaking of my Vols I think a lot of this in the east depends on actually how good of a quarterback Harrison Bailey really is. Personally I look for him to start , especially if he lives up to his hype !!!!!

I don’t get the A&M love either, but I can tell you they get the biggest favorable schedule flip of anyone in the country. They lose Georgia and Clemson and gain North Texas and Vandy. That’s automatically a 2-win swing. Maybe that’s being factored in to the predictions.
Texas A&M could be 10-0 and ranked in the Top 10 going into the Alabama and LSU games

Abilene Christian
North Texas
Colorado
Arkansas @ Arlington,Texas
@Mississippi State
Fresno State
@Auburn
@South Carolina
Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
@Alabama
LSU

Reactions: rikberry31 and Jaws
UGA's four recruiting classes for next year will have been ranked 3, 1, 2 and 3 (assuming their ranking this year remains static) respectively on the composite. Most of the team that dispatched Baylor with relative ease in the Sugar Bowl will be back. Florida could beat them, we might could if everything gels just right but unless that Newman guy sucks really bad, which we should know after a few games next year, I think they're still the favorite.

They for sure will have plenty of talent on defense but they lose 8 of 11 on offense and are pinning their hopes on a transfer QB who struggled MIGHTILY against good teams in the ACC.

I was not sure where to put this but Vegas is starting to put out their odds for national championship contenders in 2020 and they are including Tennessee:

College football championship for 2020 season
  • Clemson +225
  • Alabama +350
  • Ohio State +450
  • LSU +600
  • Georgia +800
  • Florida +1400
  • Auburn +2000
  • Notre Dame +2500
  • Oklahoma +2500
  • Texas +2500
  • Michigan +3300
  • Oregon +3300
  • Penn State +3300
  • Texas A&M +4000
  • Florida State +5000
  • Wisconsin +5000
  • Oklahoma State +6600
  • Tennessee +6600
  • USC +6600
  • Iowa State +10000
  • Kentucky +10000
  • Miami (FL) +10000
  • Minnesota +10000
  • Nebraska +10000
  • Utah +10000
  • Washington +10000
  • Iowa +15000
  • BYU +50000
Obviously at +6600 we are in the dark horse type category but at least we are getting some consideration.

The favorable schedule is the reason for the a&m love. Couple that with LSU and Bama breaking in new QB’s and they’re the new dark horse pick for the west.

Reactions: Jaws
How bad would it be if the East flipped next season?

Vandy
Missouri
South Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida

That's funny and I don't care who you are, it's doggone funny.

graphics-laughing-940154.gif

They still have Esmingher who was the actual play caller for LSU this year.
So he had to have learned a great deal from the younger Joe Brady.
Still have a ton of talent.

Arande had some bright moments but imo he underachieved a little considering the talent at LSU.

They lost Burrow. But LSU has a ton of talent at RB. I wouldn't count them out just yet. I think they win the SEC again.

Switch A&M and Auburn.
I don't get all the love A&M is getting for next year. Didn't they have the same record we did, and look pretty uninspiring in getting to said record? I don't get it.
while “to be the man, you’ve got to beat the man”, A&M played Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Georgia last year.

they drop Clemson for Colorado and Georgia for Vandy. That will help
Yeah I think AU is a better program and team right now, aTm just has a better schedule. AU is pretty impressive how in spite of yearly smoke and speculation about Gus, staff, and other stuff they have maintained a really good performance level. Bet they will beat aTm but finish lower.

Without taking an in-depth look at their roster changes...I think UF will win East based largely on QB and uga losing so much on OL. UT will win 8-9 reg season with a good upset but also good chance of losing to a dog.

Are they out of their minds? After UT takes the SEC, and is playing for the NATY, I wonder how many will remember this "prediction", CJP has us on a roll! Let's get with the program...

VN Store

Back