Herbie 1, Fowler 0

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Providing this thread mostly for those who were in the stadium, or others who watched on TV but muted and synced the radio play calling to it.

You missed Herbie browbeating Fowler for pretty much the entirety of the game for not giving enough credit to the Vols' accomplishments this year.

For instance...

At one point, they were talking about the energy of the fan base. Fowler said something snide, like, "Yeah, I guess you can forgive their exuberance." Herbstreit looked over at him, then replied: "Forgive it? I honor it. I bow down to it. The loyalty and hunger for excellence of this fan base is something to respect!"

That's not an exact quote, going off memory. But Fowler was clearly thinking back to the "exuberance" of us lighting him up 20 years ago for his 'trailer trash' comment, and was 'forgiving' us in his head. Blow that out your butt, Fowler, we don't need your forgiveness. Herbie told it strraight.

For instance...

Herbie gave his guess at how the first CFP rankings will look, just the top 4 spots. And he had the Vols at #1. And then he started ragging on Fowler to give his prediction. And hounded him, over and over, until he finally did. At one point, Kirk called Fowler a chicken, lol.

It went on like that all evening. Herbstreit complimenting the Vols, or Hendon for Heisman, or Heupel and Golesh for their play-calling, or whatever, and then needling Fowler until he agreed they were awesome. All. game. long.

Herbie has been a douche a little bit since the Schiano thing, and did pick against us vs FL and Bama, but he showed up in orange (figuratively) last night, and held Fowler accountable for having an anti-Tennessee bias the whole time.

Thought you'd like to know that happened.

Go Vols!

EDIT and p.s. Almost forgot to mention: Fowler really tried, I mean tried hard, to pursue the "Levis is Superman" storyline. He stuck with it all the way into the 3rd quarter, until the reality of what was happening on the field became too much even for him to pretend any more. Then he just stopped talking about it.

Last edited:
Providing this thread mostly for those who were in the stadium, or others who watched on TV but muted and synced the radio play calling to it.

You missed Herbie browbeating Fowler for pretty much the entirety of the game for not giving enough credit to the Vols' accomplishments this year.

For instance...

At one point, they were talking about the energy of the fan base. Fowler said something snide, like, "Yeah, I guess you can forgive their exuberance." Herbstreit looked over at him, then replied: "Forgive it? I honor it. I bow down to it. The loyalty and hunger for excellence of this fan base is something to respect!"

That's not an exact quote, going off memory. But Fowler was clearly thinking back to the "exuberance" of us lighting him up 20 years ago for his 'trailer trash' comment, and was 'forgiving' us in his head. Blow that out your butt, Fowler, we don't need your forgiveness. Herbie told it strraight.

For instance...

Herbie gave his guess at how the first CFP rankings will look, just the top 4 spots. And he had the Vols at #1. And then he started ragging on Fowler to give his prediction. And hounded him, over and over, until he finally did. At one point, Kirk called Fowler a chicken, lol.

It went on like that all evening. Herbstreit complimenting the Vols, or Hendon for Heisman, or Heupel and Golesh for their play-calling, or whatever, and then needling Fowler until he agreed they were awesome. All. game. long.

Herbie has been a douche a little bit since the Schiano thing, and did pick against us vs FL and Bama, but he showed up in orange (figuratively) last night, and held Fowler accountable for having an anti-Tennessee bias the whole time.

Thought you'd like to know that happened.

Go Vols!

EDIT and p.s. Almost forgot to mention: Fowler really tried, I mean tried hard, to pursue the "Levis is Superman" storyline. He stuck with it all the way into the 3rd quarter, until the reality of what was happening on the field became too much even for him to pretend any more. Then he just stopped talking about it.
Herbie actually called him a wus on national TV and it was great.

"Tennessee fans are trailer trash" - Chris Fowler, 1998 Orange Bowl
I don’t like Fowler, but there is no need to misrepresent what he said. He spoke about the “trailer-park frenzy” over the Manning Heisman snub. That’s a far cry from suggesting all of our fans are trailer trash…we’re not from Kentucky for Pete’s sake.

And it was still a real jerk move to describe Tennessee fans in that fashion. Then they doubled down with the Rocky Top pig commercial. ESPN - and Chris Fowler - knew what they were doing.
Sure but it wasn't such a direct insult.

And I liked the pig commercial. I know plenty who fit the stereotypes

I watched it on television, and I muted the outside world. Was nice to see us on ESPN prime time. Herbs mentioned a time or two last night that it (Neyland) was the best environment in college foozball. Was also cool seeing the champs trophy sitting there on the sidelines... Looked right at home if you ask me....🏆

I don’t like Fowler, but there is no need to misrepresent what he said. He spoke about the “trailer-park frenzy” over the Manning Heisman snub. That’s a far cry from suggesting all of our fans are trailer trash…we’re not from Kentucky for Pete’s sake.
Hmm, Boro, that's pretty much what he meant by trailer park frenzy. That the average Tennessee fan lives in a trailer park and we're all there together in a frenzy over the Heisman snub.

Trailer park frenzy == trailer trash, when you're a tea-sipping, tennis-watching Connecticut liberal.

I was mighty surprised to witness Herbie's new found role as Tennessee cheerleader. Fowler was as derogatory as he could possibly be with respect to anything Tennessee. I absolutely enjoyed Kirk's perseverance in forcing Fowler to acknowledge great play by Tennessee. This change of heart for Kirk must certainly be attributed to his move to Nashville. He now can understand the Tennessee fan base for an exceedingly loyal group, not the trailer trash Fowler referred to in the past. Fowler truly made a fool of himself on national television.

I doubt it was that much if a far cry as far as Fowler was concerned.

I agree we shouldn't misrepresent what happened. Totally.

However, "trailer park frenzy" is equivalent to the stereotypical statement that "those Tennesseans all live in trailer parks" which, when deemed necessary to say, is a clear indication that you think those people are "trailer trash."

Prove me wrong.

Hmm, Boro, that's pretty much what he meant by trailer park frenzy. That the average Tennessee fan lives in a trailer park and we're all there together in a frenzy over the Heisman snub.

Trailer park frenzy == trailer trash, when you're a tea-sipping, tennis-watching Connecticut liberal.
Beat me too it. Completely concur.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Don't let them fool you, ESPN is loving the Tennessee is back Narrative and milking it.

They love anything that drives hype and we are driving hype this year. Now 3-4 years down the road when we are still back, they will turn on us and cheer for another underdog.

People just love underdogs and we are considered the underdog right now because of the last 15 years.

I was mighty surprised to witness Herbie's new found role as Tennessee cheerleader. Fowler was as derogatory as he could possibly be with respect to anything Tennessee. I absolutely enjoyed Kirk's perseverance in forcing Fowler to acknowledge great play by Tennessee. This change of heart for Kirk must certainly be attributed to his move to Nashville. He now can understand the Tennessee fan base for an exceedingly loyal group, not the trailer trash Fowler referred to in the past. Fowler truly made a fool of himself on national television.

Agree. His kids go to school here. He’s made friends here.

Well we really proved him wrong by hurling batteries at them during a visit

Herbstreit had been really complementary of UT this season. He made a couple of tweets last night after the game talking about how great the fans and environment are in Neyland

Yeah, I don't see the hate from Herbie towards Tennessee. He spoke highly of Tennessee even during our time of mediocrity and still seems impressed with the Tennessee teams in the past.

Granted he wasn't sold on Tennessee in Game Day and picked against us both times. That is fair, you are always going to have doubters.

After Alabama, he stated Hendon Hooker was his top pick for Heisman and has maintained that.

I do think he sometimes also goes out of the way to not pick Ohio State for everything because of his background with them.

VN Store

Back