Hendon Hooker-Starter?

There's really no excuse for Bailey not getting his shot. If Milton had lived up to the hype, or even had been in the same zip code as the hype, that would have been one thing...but he was horrific. Hooker, though better, lost the game with an interception that wasn't a slightly bad throw, it was laughably bad; you could see as soon as he threw it that it was going to get picked. And before that he had another turnover with the fumble. So he has already had as many turnovers in one game against non-SEC competition, as a senior, as Bailey had last year in five games against SEC competition as a true freshman.
All of Bailey's passes are screens or he throws it to the closest wr there is that's what I remember from last year and Shrout would come in and in the same game and throw the ball to deeper wide receivers.

All of Bailey's passes are screens or he throws it to the closest wr there is that's what I remember from last year and Shrout would come in and in the same game and throw the ball to deeper wide receivers.

Exactly this. The only game he really threw down field was the Vandy JV game. He threw 6 straight passes to the RB at the end of the Arkansas game. His completion percentage is very misleading when you look his ypp metircs

Let’s compare the stats when Hooker or Milton have played the same number of snaps/games as Bailey. Then it would be a fair comparison.
My only problem with that is that Bailey isn't getting a fair shot in the meantime. He has already put up better stats against SEC competition than the other two have put up against far lesser competition, but the coaches refuse to give him a shot.

Shrout was also an upperclassman and Bailey was a true freshman. Bailey was miles ahead as a freshman of where Shrout was.

My only problem with that is that Bailey isn't getting a fair shot in the meantime. He has already put up better stats against SEC competition than the other two have put up against far lesser competition, but the coaches refuse to give him a shot.
What he did last year vs. what the others are doing this year is meaningless. It’s what he had done in the practices since the spring game vs. Hooker and Milton. Apparently he did not stand out because he would be the starter if he had.

Reactions: memtownvol
What he did last year vs. what the others are doing this year is meaningless. It’s what he had done in the practices since the spring game vs. Hooker and Milton. Apparently he did not stand out because he would be the starter if he had.
This faulty logic has already been put forth hundreds of times in the last two weeks on here and it’s as silly and mindless now as it was every other time.

We just fired a coach for playing the wrong QB.

Anyone with two eyes and the slightest bit of football acumen can see that our current coaches’ assessment of who the starter should be for our first two games was slightly less than beyond reproach. And by slightly I mean miles and miles.

Reactions: VolRage
This faulty logic has already been put forth hundreds of times in the last two weeks on here and it’s as silly and mindless now as it was every other time.

Anyone with two eyes and the slightest bit of football acumen can see that our current coaches’ assessment of who the starter should be for our first two games was slightly less than beyond reproach. And by slightly I mean miles and miles.

Yeah we fired a coach that's never been a HC that didn't have a clue, didn't coach offense, was at Bama where even I could have just pulled up Madden and picked a play and sent it in and they would have been fine.

CJH was a QB, Heisman runner up, coached offense and QB's, even ones that aren't very mobile with success.
I'm willing to give him more of a chance even if I don't agree with using Milton.
One thing is for sure though. CJH had Milton getting the team to the line and plays off very quick. That's a total 180 from last year, so he's doing something with this team. Milton is still over throwing guys but I did see he has more air under his ball last week than he did vs BG, so they've worked with him on that. His coaching schemes are setting up our WR to get open and Special Teams looks dang good.

I'm not advocating for Milton. I think Hooker should start but I have seen things that's shown me that CJH has done a lot of work with this team, a team that was hit hard by the transfer portal.

ETA: And another I want to see is. I think I heard Milton has 4.6 speed. Someone needs to show me that on tape because I'm not sure I believe that :)

Reactions: sjt18 and mpfvol

I dot see the logic as faulty in fact I believe it is the likely scenario of what happened. I have not read all your posts. Explain in clearer detail your position why my post is incorrect.

Last edited:
There was talk last year that Bailey might transfer because we weren't sure he could beat Shrout, Maurer, or Salter...... but suddenly he's not been given a fair shot? Maybe, given that discussion last year, no one really thought he was THAT good then.

He wasn't the definite, for sure starter, and savior of the program BEFORE Shrout, Maurer, and Salter left.

He's not now. He lost a competition for QB1. I bet he knows this, knows why, and is handling it better than some folks on VN.

There was talk last year that Bailey might transfer because we weren't sure he could beat Shrout, Maurer, or Salter...... but suddenly he's not been given a fair shot? Maybe, given that discussion last year, no one really thought he was THAT good then.

He wasn't the definite, for sure starter, and savior of the program BEFORE Shrout, Maurer, and Salter left.

He's not now. He lost a competition for QB1. I bet he knows this, knows why, and is handling it better than some folks on VN.
I bet you’re dishonest.

I bet you’re dishonest.
Dishonest about what?

There were plenty of posts about Bailey or Maurer hitting the portal if they didn't start, right?

No one thought Bailey was a lock as QB1 if Pruitt and JG were gone, right?

If the QB1 competition was clearly unlevel in Fall camp, why didn't Maurer transfer earlier?

Look, I'm not really concerned with Bailey, QBs come and go, but if we have hired a coach and staff who are dishonestly evaluating players.... as you imply..... we have a much bigger problem than this season.

I believe we are trending towards Hooker for Saturday.

When it comes to QB coach speak, being definitive is what coaches do if they intend to stay with their guy. Being vague is what coaches trend towards if they plan to make a move.

I think Heupel intends to make a move after what he said today. Two consecutive days he hasn’t committed to Milton for Saturday.

And he has to know that if Hooker does something on Saturday like posting an 18/24 300 yard stat line (even against a weak opponent) it will be nearly impossible to go away from him.

I think it’s Hendon for the next two weeks. No inside info. Just my gut check.
Agreed. He's clearly the better option.

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT.

That's 71% passing. And he definitely has a little more touch on the deep ball.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

He has to be the guy? Right?

Milton graded out higher than Hooker. My amateur eyes could not see where but the staff saw things. Of courses, coaches grade many things that a fan cannot see during the course of a game.

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT.

That's 71% passing. And he definitely has a little more touch on the deep ball.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

He has to be the guy? Right?

I agree, Hendon did better than Joe.…BUT, Hendon also did some very bad things.

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 / 2 TDs / 1 Interception /

don’t forget his 1 fumble,

and don’t forget how he performed when the game was on the line late in the 4th Qtr... Hendon throws an interception on the first play...GAME OVER!

Three fumbles in six games equals one every two games, compared to Milton and Hooker's average of a fumble per game. Bailey had 11 sacks in six games, which averages out to less than two per game, whereas so far Milton is averaging 2.5 sacks per game and Hooker is averaging 3.

And I would add Bailey was playing against much better teams

Reactions: lifeisdeep
What does this mean? Just because we didn't throw the deep ball? Are you suggesting he's too dumb to throw it deep?
No but Milton shows command and lines everyone up fast he can get a offside call and throw a deep pass for free if it hits TD if not 5 free yards he also wears the defense down to where you start getting interference calls. He just needs to start connecting. But with Hooker prepared as a 1 maybe he would look better.

I agree, Hendon did better than Joe.…BUT, Hendon also did some very bad things.

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 / 2 TDs / 1 Interception /

don’t forget his 1 fumble,

and don’t forget how he performed when the game was on the line late in the 4th Qtr... Hendon throws an interception on the first play...GAME OVER!

and don't forget twice when we got down by 2 TDs he led us to TDs both times. He also willed himself forward carrying the ball to get the first down but was given a **** spot. He was in crunch time the entire 4th quarter.

So your feelings which is all you have are more valid "logically" than the simple facts @ABINGDON VOL FAN posted? He was allowed to compete from January until now. He's never been better than 3rd. He left spring behind Hooker AND Maurer... appeared to overtake Maurer over the summer but then found himself 3rd behind Hooker and Milton.

I'm sorry but unless you are a coach or someone with daily access to practice and the QB room and staff meetings... then the people with the most information and competence to make decisions about Bailey's playing time and position on the depth chart have so far determined that he's not as good as the other two. I know you are for whatever reason emotionally vested in Bailey. But you need to accept that so far he simply has not earned his way onto the field.

VN Store

Back